Menu

No chemistry?

Son wishes to finish biology and then do astronomy for this year.  I spoke to the school he was supposed to go to this year, they usually do chemistry in 10th grade, which is where they would have wanted him this year. But, they said if he still starts next year, as an 11th grader, they would just put him straight in to physics. They say that chemistry is actually not required for graduation. 

I wonder if I should consider physical science, such as Derek Owen's physical science, as it includes some astronomy? Or should we just skip chemistry altogether? Or perhaps do chemistry anyway and he can still do astronomy? Can the students even receive credit for both physics and physical science?

• Like 1

I think it all depends on what he wants to do and where he wants to go.  Some colleges for engineering or STEM specifically say they want a year of high school physics and a year of high school chemistry.  I actually see those more on the lists than Biology mentioned specifically.  Some places just say X number of years of a lab science.

I think you need to look at all the possibilities he might want to consider and aim for that.

• Like 1

Chemistry may not be required for high school graduation where you are, but if a university admissions person does not see that on a transcript, I think they might wonder why. IMO, Biology, Chemistry and Physics are the basic high school science courses admissions people probably expect to see on every transcript.  

• Like 3

What was he planning to take in 12th grade?  Couldn't he take chemistry then?

He is saying he does not want to go back to a school. But, his dad is getting edgy about the local home school culture. The high school is a small school so I do not know if they would let him take chemistry in senior year. Ultimately, I am guessing son will not go to this school.

I wouldn't do DO physical science if he plans to do physics. Some places consider it a middle school class (not DO specifically, just physical science), although that appears to be regional as several of high schools local to me require it for high school graduation.

I would let him do astronomy to finish out this year & worry about next year and the following ones when you get there. You never know what will happen before then. One day at a time!!

How does the "local homeschool culture" affect your DS' education?

12 yr old told his dad that there was no such thing as the Stone Age. 14 yr old got corrected recently during a discussion with other homeschoolers where he pointed out something in the Old Testament that disagreed with something from the new. He was asked the question by an adult during a group discussion. My son was not trying to give a bad answer. My husband went to Jesuit school when he was young. So it really was just a theological thing. But my son was cut off and corrected.

12 yr old told his dad that there was no such thing as the Stone Age. 14 yr old got corrected recently during a discussion with other homeschoolers where he pointed out something in the Old Testament that disagreed with something from the new. He was asked the question by an adult during a group discussion. My son was not trying to give a bad answer. My husband went to Jesuit school when he was young. So it really was just a theological thing. But my son was cut off and corrected.

Can't you extricate yourself from this culture?

In my area, the vast majority of homeschoolers is very religious. We managed to homeschool without having anything to do with them.

• Like 2

Can't you extricate yourself from this culture?

In my area, the vast majority of homeschoolers is very religious. We managed to homeschool without having anything to do with them.

The opposing view points do not bother me so much because I take them as a teaching moment with the kids. But it has really been bothering my husband. 

I think I have my answer though. I think I will stop worrying about making things so that oldest would return to B&M school. And if worse comes to worse, and I really want him to have chemistry, I could do chemistry over the summer after he returns to school. But he is old enough that I think that it won't be an issue. It will be a marital issue and that is it. So, we will just stay the course and finish the biology and do the astronomy he wants to do.

• Like 2

You're likely to encounter this anywhere, though, whether you are a homeschooler or go to school.  People with different worldviews, people speaking strongly about their own worldviews, etc.  I would really just go back to basics with scheduling high school for a homeschool.  Look at colleges, (a range, not just specific ones the child wants now, because you know that can change), look at their requirements, and plan from there.  

• Like 1