Menu

Help an Omnivore feed her Gluten Free Vegan kid?

foxbridgeacademy

What do you feed your GF Vegans for lunch? Think picnic or school lunch situation.  Any help is appreciated.

Ideas so far

-rice cakes with peanut butter

-pasta with beyond meat

-salad (need a better idea for ranch dressing)

-fruit, applesauce, soy yogurt

-tortillas with veggies and ranch

-no breads (she said cardboard tastes better than GF Vegan bread)

Check into Indian and Thai recipes. They are helpful during our half the year we eat vegan. Also instead of vegan burritos, get "bowls." Lots of nuts for protein. Tofu--lots of ways to cook it/include it to increase protein.

Shepherds Pie made without the crust. Crustless quiche.

ETA:  OOPS.  Eggs are not vegan.  I went off another rabbit trail.  Not to be insulting to rabbits.  

This is for a teen?  I would give ownership of her menu to her, and have her plug different nutritional scenarios into apps like My Fitness Pal to make sure she's covering the basics.  Vegan + GF long term can be tricky nutritionally.  There are a number of good cookbooks out there, but rice/beans/lentils as a foundation + lots of veg + some fruit should be her basic meal plan.

Black bean & sweet potato burritos in a rice-based burrito wrap + green salad + berries might be an easy lunch to carry about.

• Like 1

My little one is on a gluten- and dairy-free diet and we're "flexitarian" (some poultry, fish, and eggs but not a lot). The Herbivoracious blog and cookbook list GF options and most of the recipes are very tasty.

Tsatziki can be made vegan and makes a good substitute for ranch dressing in a lot of dishes. If she eats soy, you can make it with tofu or soy yogurt. My child is supposed to avoid soy protein so we use this recipe.

• Like 1

Follow Nina and Randa (Twin older teens or maybe young-20's women) and their parents, Vegsource on YouTube. They are vegan and mostly gluten free.  They basically follow The Starch Solution.  There are starch solution cookbooks available on Amazon too.  They have some lifestyle videos, but the ones on what they eat in a day include recipes and such.  It's a lot of:

Breakfasts:  Oatmeal (Gluten free oats) with cinnamon, raisins, and apples OR Fruit smoothies with frozen fruit, berries, greens, bananas, almond milk, etc.

Lunches & Dinners: Rice, beans, frozen veggies, homemade veggie burgers (VegSource has a good recipe), a variety of sauces (Sriracha, marinara, ketchup, salsa, salsa verde, chutney).  Soups made of roasted veggies & beans or lentils.

There's also the Eat to Live Cookbook, which is pretty great.  It was a bestseller and it's been out for a while.  It might be at your local library.

You can also make Pamela's Gluten Free Bread mix in a bread maker, and use egg substitute. We eat eggs here, but a friend of ours whose son is allergic to wheat and eggs tried it and it was a big hit in her home.  Check your local supermarket health food section, sometimes the bread mix is cheaper there than on Amazon.   It does contain a lot of bean flour though, so DO NOT try it on the day before you're going to be someplace important, because it is delicious and you will get gassy until your gut adjusts to more bean fiber, which takes a few months.

• Like 1

Thanks so far for all the replies.  I wanted to get a few ideas before I mentioned the "it's gross" list (these are mostly texture related, she inherited it from me so I can't really blame her.)

No:

Sweet potatoes

Peas

avocados

dried fruit

re-fried beans (in fact she only eats black beans or lentils)

soup, as in nothing even soup like

mustard

olives or even olive oil (even the fresh-ish expensive stuff is "gross")

lettuce (but spinach and kale are okay)

vinegar

tomato sauces (but tomatoes in stuff is okay, like black bean chili is fine but marinara is a no)

There's more I know but can't remember right now.

My oldest was picky like that and that's why I put my foot down when she wanted to go vegan as opposed to lacto-ovo-vegetarian. If you're going to cut out a long list of foods for no reason other than "I don't like it", then you need to keep eggs and dairy in your diet. I'll buy the expensive organic, cage-free, humanely-raised, yadda, yadda, yadda type if you are concerned about the welfare of the chickens & cows. If that's not good enough, sorry but suck it up, cupcake, and learn to tolerate a wider variety of vegan foods.

My oldest was picky like that and that's why I put my foot down when she wanted to go vegan as opposed to lacto-ovo-vegetarian. If you're going to cut out a long list of foods for no reason other than "I don't like it", then you need to keep eggs and dairy in your diet. I'll buy the expensive organic, cage-free, humanely-raised, yadda, yadda, yadda type if you are concerned about the welfare of the chickens & cows. If that's not good enough, sorry but suck it up, cupcake, and learn to tolerate a wider variety of vegan foods.

Eggs make her throw up, and milk gives her diarrhea. Also we don't do the "suck it up" style of parenting. Her vegetarianism and veganism has nothing to do with animals, she could care less how they're raised, slaughtered ect..., meat and such literally makes her sick.  It has ever since she started her period 2 years ago.

Quinoa is good, she eats that a couple times a week, same for rice, and GF pasta.  What I'm looking for specifically is stuff that would be good for P.S. lunch.   

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I am trying to remember the name of it, but we eat a dish here occasionally that is a rice/quinoa blend with thai peanut sauce.  It's pretty tasty cold.  I can't for the life of me remember, but a trip down the rice aisle might give you something similar.  They have this at Sam's that we've bought once and it was good - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/thai-peanut-quinoa-4-pk/prod16320406.ip

I'll second the falafel.  I'm not sure what sauce to pair with it, though.  Maybe a cucumber/mint puree? 

Bowls of stuff.  

Rice with beans and veggies and yummy stuff.  Quinoa.  Cous cous. Roasted chickpeas.  Whatever.  Pretty much anything can be used as the base and toppings.  

Falafel.  

Pretty much my fav. place to eat is a little joint that you build your own bowl- add protein of choice (some kind of bean, lentil or tofu for her), veggies of your liking, sauce of choice then put it over zuc noodles/rice/rice or pasta. 

I would think for a school lunch it might work well to pre-make various veggies, protein and starches that she likes and then she can throw them together how she wishes.

I think falafels and black bean burgers are a good idea too.

I like just plain black beans and rice even cold. Or a black bean dip with chips. Or black bean tacos(hard or soft corn shell)/ nachos/tostados. I do avocado but no tomatoes w/ lettuce. I used to make a simple dosa recipe that we all really enjoyed w/ coconut curry.

• Like 2

Nuts and hummus 

and get a thermos for soups.  I pretty much have two vegan recipes that I trot out for my vegan friends.  One is hummus (I cook a whole pound of chickpeas at once.  They're healthier than canned and freeze well in recipe-sized portions).  The other is my Easy Mulligatawny soup which is post #7 on this archived thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/332379-so-please-post-your-favorite-soup-recipes/

You'd just skip the yogurt garnish.

• Like 1

Eggs make her throw up, and milk gives her diarrhea. Also we don't do the "suck it up" style of parenting. Her vegetarianism and veganism has nothing to do with animals, she could care less how they're raised, slaughtered ect..., meat and such literally makes her sick.  It has ever since she started her period 2 years ago.

Has she been tested for Lone Star tick? I've heard of that being the cause of sudden meat allergies/intolerances. Not sure what the treatment is but definitely something to ask a physician about.

• Like 2

Has she been tested for Lone Star tick? I've heard of that being the cause of sudden meat allergies/intolerances. Not sure what the treatment is but definitely something to ask a physician about.

No, she hasn't. But Just before she started having trouble eating meat she had a horrible tick bite with fever and swelling in the lymph nodes. I took her to the Doctor and he looked at me like I was crazy and sent us home. She got better a couple days later. The meat aversion was gradual but complete with in 4 months of the tick bite.

Calling to make an appointment ASAP, with a different Doctor (FYI, we never went back to the other guy, but by the time we got a new Doctor it had slipped my mind).

Thanks for the heads up, I would never correlate the two things (although I did look up lonestar when she got sick).

• Like 1

No, she hasn't. But Just before she started having trouble eating meat she had a horrible tick bite with fever and swelling in the lymph nodes. I took her to the Doctor and he looked at me like I was crazy and sent us home. She got better a couple days later. The meat aversion was gradual but complete with in 4 months of the tick bite.

Calling to make an appointment ASAP, with a different Doctor (FYI, we never went back to the other guy, but by the time we got a new Doctor it had slipped my mind).

Thanks for the heads up, I would never correlate the two things (although I did look up lonestar when she got sick).

Yes, please do get her tested. I don't think the connection is well known with dr's. I have 2 friends that can't eat meat anymore and after I read about Lyme causing meat allergies I've been anxious for them to be tested.

• Like 1

Hmmm, help me out..... everything I read says that those people affected by Lone Star Tick allergy to red meat have " hives and swelling, as well as broader symptoms of anaphylaxis including vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing, and a drop in blood pressure. " She doesn't have any of those symptoms when eating red meat. Eggs cause nausea and sometimes vomiting (usually only if the yolks are involved), milk issue is obviously because she is lactose intolerant (DH is and I think I am to some extent).  The no meat is because the idea of it grosses her out, dead flesh and such. Could that still be the Tick thing (STARI) ? 

We'll ask the Doctor too but it's likely he'll say there's no way to tell especially since there is no diagnostic test for STARI. 

I don't know about the tick thing, I would think a sudden aversion would be more likely to be that anxiety thing related to strep infections.

I just wanted to say that if she's getting the majority of her carbs from rice and potatoes, you might want to use white basmati rice.  The brown kind contains more arsenic (rice is grown in old cotton fields), so even when it's organic, brown rice consumed in large quantities can be bad.  White basmati rice has the lowest arsenic.