Menu

How do you implement CLE reading

Wholesomemomma

I'd love to hear how you all implement Reading 400 (or any level that's only 5 LUs per year), other than the "normal" way. How many times per week? Do you just buy the TG and read and answer questions orally? Do you do the reading and both LU lessons for that story all at once? Any other ways? I'm all ears for specifics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My daughters use it 3 times a week for the length of one light unit. (One lesson a day) Then we switch and do one novel - often using a Memoria Press or Progeny Press guide or just read with no guide. Then we go back and do another light unit, followed by another book. And so forth until the year is up! They do the lessons completely independently. I only use the TM for checking answers. I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but it works for us and they love cle reading! I bet they tell me something they learned from the stories once or twice a week at least in general conversation.

Edited by Pdriskell

Dd uses it completely independently four days a week following the lesson instructions until she finishes all light units. (Last year, that was around February, I think.) Then it's up to her. Last year she read two Collier Junior Classics volumes after CLE Reading was completed. She also reads classic novels on her own but she likes them so much that I can't put the label "schoolwork" on them.

Edited by Tiramisu

We started late, so I wasn't try to fill an entire year. We did one story and all the lessons (generally 2 I think?) that pertained to the one story once a week. I skip the bible stuff in the lessons, though my kids are free to do them if they want. We're still a grade level behind, so I don't feel I need to stretch out the current level either. If I did, though, I think I would just do it every other week perhaps.

My daughters use it 3 times a week for the length of one light unit. (One lesson a day) Then we switch and do one novel - often using a Memoria Press or Progeny Press guide or just read with no guide. Then we go back and do another light unit, followed by another book. And so forth until the year is up! They do the lessons completely independently. I only use the TM for checking answers. I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but it works for us and they love cle reading! I bet they tell me something they learned from the stories once or twice a week at least in general conversation.

This is similar to what we are doing, alternating with literature guides.  I also only use the TM for checking work.  I do really like the looks of the program as it is supposed to be taught in a classroom (discussing the themes, great spiritual application, etc), but we just don't have time in our day for it right now.  My kids understand the instructions and information in the guides and pretty much never need help from me.

They love the stories and don't find the workbooks tedious in the least.  I'm very happy with this curriculum!

• Like 1