Menu

Who has started? How is it going?

We only started yesterday, but we are generally doing well so far. Our 1:1 time is a well-oiled machine (I work full time from home at a corporate management job for a global company so we work from 6am-10am together), but DD is still struggling to get back into the swing of things with managing her time on her independent work. She's made improvements from yesterday to today so I am confident we'll work it out. Our new kittens are very distracting too, and this is their first school year with us!

Of course, only one outside-of-the-house activity starts this week, then more next week, and the last the following week. She also has several performances this month and still has to finish designing a few costumes for them. So, we are all struggling with time management right now.

But, overall, I'm quite pleased so far with our choices this year! Of course, I might be eating crow a month from now!

• Like 5

We started a month ago, but our online classes have not all begun yet. I am a bit nervous. Didn't factor in that class time is in addition to study time and now classes will be eating up on occasion two hours a day. I will be hopefully more relaxed in a month when everything is in full swing, and we hopefully find our rhythm.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 3

We started easy in August, but last week was the first "full" week. I told then we would do a week as scheduled and then decide if anything needs to change. However, like you, we had something new this week, the online class starts next week, and something else picks up the week after that.

I've been happily surprised at the increase in work that I am not party to (unless there is a question). I'm thinking I may want to tweak the schedule a bit to give myself a larger block of pseudo-free time!

• Like 3

We started our full schedule last week.  The only class which hasn't started is the one DD takes at the local PS.  It's just one afternoon enrichment class: Art.  That will start on 9/8.

The first day was not promising.  Dd didn't sleep well the night before, and it was a gray, rainy day the first day. However, we got through it.  Now everything is fine and timing, for once, hasn't been an issue at all.  We'll see if that changes once the PS class starts.

• Like 2

We are moving house this week, just as DS classes ramp up (he has almost exclusively online classes). And I was hosting a kid (and then his family)right up to the move. I'm not sure why i do this to myself and my family. Lastly, the electrical co decided not to wait half a day for us to change accounts and shut service. I can't waste a fridge full of meat so I'm cooking like a mad person. Plus, no internet so DS missed bunches of orientation. Thankfully we are fairly familiar with the software...

It's all I can do to keep head above water and have textbooks delivered to correct address and printer hooked up etc. I work part time and get texts like "where is the meter stick!!"

Lol

• Like 3

We started last week, and it's actually going quite well. We are taking Wednesday's off so it gives a nice break in the middle of the week. The kids sleep in, relax, we sometimes take a field trip, and so on.

I really like the curriculum we have chosen this year, and am suprised I'm not second guessing anything yet!

• Like 4

We started on the 15th but both kids have online classes that haven't started. So not a full load yet. Since it is still hot here, DS10 have been doing more swimming in the afternoons at the condo pool.

What I do find useful was tracking minutes for all their subjects this academic year. My kids have always completed their work but we had never really track how much time was spent to complete that amount of work. So it is a good to know for us.

• Like 1

This year has been going better. I started the kids with a light schedule and have been adding things in, and that has been a good success.

The other difference is that I tried to cut out everything that was unnecessary and just do what is important. That has cut down on busywork so the kids do better quality work since they are not so fatigued.

Edited by Mrs Twain
  • Like 3

We are ramping up slowly. DD#1 started two online classes last week. The rest of us are doing half-days this week. (That means that it takes a half-day of MY time. They each have only about an hour of work.)

Orientation sessions for two more online classes were today. DD#1 complained during the whole thing. :smash:  DD#2's is her very first online class, so there was a lot of panic.  :glare:

The half-days have been going fairly well. The weirdest thing for me is having a couple of kids who will voluntarily take their independent work out & work on it when I didn't assign it.  :eek:  

DD#1 did the exact same history & biology that dd#3 is doing this year. She didn't get done during the school year. DD#3 is cruising. She's officially supposed to be done with one assignment by the end of the week. I'm pretty sure she's already on #3 and it is only Wednesday. DD#2 seems to be doing the same thing with history & biology. I'm not sure where these children came from, but  :001_tt1: I hope it keeps up.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 4

We've kind of started.

I gave ds 11 a spelling placement test for Spelling Power. After finishing Apples and Pears last year, he tested at 6.2 grade level which thrills me (he is grade 6 this year). We've worked SO hard on spelling and the fact he is just where he needs to be is a huge win for us. We'll see how this year goes.

Ds 15 started Monday (okay, really his Physics started last week while we were at the beach, but I'll let you guess how much he did lol). He is doing his summer reading for AP English (class this Thursday). He put it off all summer, but fortunately is enjoying it. He is reviewing Spanish b/c he'll start with an exam. He started Calculus.

I feel like he got into a groove much quicker than any other year. Spanish and Physics are the same provider and I'm much more involved with his math this year. We had one semi-rough day, discussed how it wasn't what either of us wanted and things righted. I am SO glad I wasn't trying to start everyone at the same time, b/c I could really focus on getting him started.

Dd 7 and I have been practicing reading--but we have all summer.

We will ease into our history studies at the end of the week.

We are enjoying the last week at the pool.

I am finishing some projects I put off the whole summer-anyone want to come over and enter all my reciepts in Quicken????

Is summer really over????

• Like 4

we started 2 weeks ago.  But this week the increase in work really hit my 8th grade girl hard.  I think it's hormones but she was a bawling mess about how much harder this year is compared to last year.  I think her idea to skip 8th grade b/c she's doing 9th grade work is not going to happen.  Emotional maturity isn't there yet.  Today she was grumpy.   

• Like 5

This is our third week, but our first week with all activities and co-ops running.  Of course, my 6th grader gets sick.  She missed her first day of Tuesday co-op, but her older sister and I attended while she stayed home with Dad.  Her workload has increased quite a lot due to adding a second co-op that assigns homework.  She's ready for this, but it's an adjustment.  She complains a lot of her hand hurting from writing so much, though it really isn't that much.  I'm having a hard time getting to science with her, but her co-op science is more meaty than I thought it would be so I'm not going to worry about it for now.  I'm attending several "back to school" meetings each week and am so happy that they will be over by Thursday.  

• Like 1

We are 1.5 weeks in and doing pretty well. My 5th grader really likes the logic stage history and science because she loves research. We are working on time management and have had some afternoons go later than I would prefer. She has a science class at a local academy that is once a week that just started.

• Like 2

We started on August 15th. That week, we only did Orientation (one day) and started back in on daily school routines (e.g., working from a daily work list, working independently, getting started on time, not disappearing to dress a doll, LOL!). I think we probably also did some Math and Science, but I don't remember now. We did a fun craft each day (string art, watercolor cards, etc.), and that got us all used to being back in the homeschool room, working together, and still having a good time. We still have to tie-dye our shirts, if the weather would cooperate when we have the time!

The next week (8/22 through 8/26) was sort of a full school week, with some bumps to smooth out along the way (e.g., good work ethic, attitudes, discipline, maturity, accepting that we are back to school, handling a tiny bit of pressure, managing time, organization). I think the girls adjusted very well this year, and they seemed (mostly) glad to be back to school. Once or twice, someone grumbled, but that might have been me. :blushing:  Again, I don't remember now. :biggrinjester:

This week, we're in the full swing of school, except that my parents came yesterday, and during the rest of the year, they'll probably come on Fridays. We talked about our weekly schedules and that day works out best for all.

I'm happy with the line-up for this year. I've noticed that my 6th grader now says things like, "I want to keep working. This is 6th grade, you know, that is serious stuff." :001_wub: My twin 4th graders (not in Logic Stage) also think they are Big Time now. :001_cool: :001_cool:

It's going well for now. Ask me again when the outside activities start back up!  :willy_nilly:

• Like 6

This is Week 5 for us and our homeschool already imploded (I knew it would).

6th grader is going to do living math this year.  She was using a math curriculum and it was becoming so tedious to her - she was starting to hate math.  She never missed a problem, either (which probably means it was too easy).  She really likes Apologia Anatomy & Physiology!  Ecoutez, Parlez! is also a big hit (she is trying to teach herself French).  She loves Rip the Page (creative writing).  

8th grader is basically doing 9th grade with the 9th grader.  But, we completely stopped everything except math and German, because we just got off on a rabbit trail...  We started with Barron's American Government, read one of the Maybury books (which my daughter loves), read the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights, started looking at presidential candidate issues, they chose which candidate they would vote for, we're doing a Mock Trial at home (I guess the Australian Shepherds will be the jury), we're headed off to the Department of Treasury to take the tour and see how money is made...I've got several more books the kids are going to read and we're going to work on a book that covers criminal trial cases and you have to decide guilty or not-guilty (Lol).

Oh well.   :D   

• Like 5

We started on the 15th, so third full week here. My 6th grader is doing well and is generally diligent and cheerful. Enjoying that now since I know the next few years will not likely be that way! ;)

She loves Equine Science, enjoys math and history and her online lit class. She is excited to be in the youth group at church. Her extra curricular activities are fun , but challenging too and that is good.

My 3rd grader on the other hand is the classic boy who would rather be buildinf forts, playing with lego, reading comic books etc. School with him is serious work for me every day.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

We started this week with both kids choosing different paths. DS is home and DD is straddling home and school. So far, it's been great for both of them. 

DD found out (despite her belief that I am a  petty, unreasonable tyrant) that she was slightly ahead in her weakest subject (language arts) and waaay ahead in her area of strength (math). She's had a big improvement in learning behaviors from last year so the middle school workload is manageable. We only do math together two or three times/week and she's actually taking instruction (WOO HOO). I have my loquacious, ebullient daughter back, not the resentful complainer I had at the end of last year!

DS is also finding, much to his dismay, that 3rd grade isn't that hard at all!  We're using the same basic schedule and pace we used last year but have so much more time for direct instruction. He's finishing his work by noon and enjoying learning new things. We're meeting up with friends a couple of times a month for science labs and play. Writing (both penmanship and composition) is the focus for him this year so we are slowly building his stamina and patience. It's soooo nice to only have one, cooperative full-time student!

• Like 3

We did our "Box Day" and started our new stuff, but we didn't have a prolonged break, just a bunch of little ones. And in less than two weeks, we leave on vacation for two weeks. So... what with activities not really having started, it feels like it's hard to get a real rhythm going.

But it's going okay. BalletBoy is doing Dolciani Pre-Algebra and we're liking that. Well, he's okay with it, we'll just put it that way. Mushroom is doing Mathematics: A Human Endeavor along with some bits of the Dolciani for firming up concepts he needs more practice with and Key to Algebra basically for fun because that stuff is so easy - I can't believe how fast he flies through it and then he feels like it's advancing in algebra, but it's more like algebra preview. He loathes the Dolciani. He adores the Jacobs.

Other stuff going okay too. Mushroom made a bunch of cool things already for his flying things unit. And BalletBoy has been reading about time travel and is almost done with The Time Machine and is mostly enjoying it.

Anxiety continues to be an issue. Every time I think we're doing better. Sigh. So that's just no different.

• Like 5

Your days are pretty full deer forest!

We are on week 4 and doing well. Not all subjects started so it was a gentle ramp-up. My dd has two subjects out of the house plus two fun classes at our local homeschool center so she is thrilled and so am I!

Math was a disaster until we switched back to Horizons and now smooth sailing 100% yay!

My son is a little overwhelmed with his fairly heavy high school course load - he will need to learn to break up his day and pace things better. We've also has some technical challenges with online classes so that's been a big frustration and adjustment. im helping him adjust and settle In but overall I think 3 online classes from 3 separate providers wasn't the best idea. But we will see.

Happy schooling!

We started on the 10th and then took off the following Friday, following little sis's public school calendar. I think this means we're on day 16. Most things are going really well, but there have definitely been bumps.

Math imploded from the very start. I made a rookie mistake and went with a curriculum my veteran homeschooling cousin recommended (Saxon) instead of the one my gut told me would be the best fit (Math Mammoth). We've now put Saxon away and have ordered Math Mammoth. While we wait, we're doing some challenging review with Beast Academy 3A. We've also discovered Prodigy Math online, which Squirrelboy absolutely adores.

Language Arts is going swimmingly, which is amazing since it's Squirrelboy's worst subject. It's my favorite, though, so that might have something to do with it. We've already breezed through AAS one and are reviewing the few phonograms he doesn't have down 100% while waiting for book 2. HWOT cursive is great and he's super excited to finally be learning cursive. His cursive is also remarkably neater than his printing. Cottage Press Fable and Song seems to be a great fit so far. It has enough to be challenging for a dyslexic coming out of public school but not so much that it's overwhelming. Copywork is a totally new thing for him and it's hard, but I'm already seeing improvements in his attention to detail.  Elson 5th reader is just okay, because there's been a lot of poetry so far and he's not a fan, but he's really enjoyed some of the stories. I'm still trying to figure out how to get him to love poetry.

Science dragged a bit at first because I couldn't figure out how to teach it well, but now we're in a groove. I'm absolutely loving the content of the Novare middle school Earth Science book. Week 2 DH started teaching Robotics with Lego Mindstorms Tuesdays and Thursdays for an hour, and that's also going well. I love that DH is also really invested in this endeavor.

History has had some bumps. We didn't love From Adam to Us at first, and would never love using it precisely as intended, but, after looking at some other resources and talking through it, I think we're figuring out how to make it work for us. DS is especially loving The Golden Goblet, the current literature book. He's supposed to read it himself, but I'm doing it as a readaloud, both because he reads slowly and because I want to know the story too.

The idea of doing both Latin and Spanish failed on day 2. It was just too difficult for my dyslexic to try to keep two new languages in his head. However, now that we're concentrating on Latin, it's going well and he's enjoying it. I'm not following the exact format of GSWL, but it's nice to have as a jumping off point.

Yesterday we went to an Open House for Coop and it starts next week. We'll see how the weeks got after we add that to our routine, but I think we've made a good start.

• Like 1

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  One for each of them. I might have time to answer this next week.

This made me laugh out loud.

Hang in there. In a few weeks you'll have them all lined up like this:

:Angel_anim:   :001_cool:   :biggrinjester:   :wub:  and :willy_nilly: <--- this is not going to change soon. You realize that, right?

• Like 8

We started July 1(Fri) with "Orientation" and Back- to Homeschool Celebration- BFG and frozen yogurt. Ds is finishing week 7 tomorrow (he had a week of Scout camp and then we just had our first week break). 

This has been our best year. I've not switched out a single thing. Tweaking- is a given- but the last 3 yrs I think he's ended up switching major subjects, often more than once. Now before we got started I changed my mind a million times, even right until we started so perhaps that helped get us lined out. I had some misgivings about BYL after we started but I'm pleased with it after changing the schedule.

Ds (newly 12/6th/7th) has came a long way in maturity. He gets started in early (usually), he loves doing his reading first, whereas before I'd push him to do Math and he'd put it off. 2 mornings a week I go in to exercise for a few hrs and they are ironically the most productive those mornings, working in record time.

I bought BYL 7th for core work. I started him out with the schedule mostly as written just doing the geography and literature work. I never started the art, and quickly scraped the copywork/dictation and poetry. After finishing the first 6 wks I felt it still wasn't right so I talked to him and tweaked some more( a lot more). I condensed the reading and added in weekly documentary days. I scheduled in reading for science(don't like her choice). I cut projects to 1 per continent and have it were that is all he works on for a week(again condensing his reading assignments so he doesn't have any for geography during project week).

He is using MUS Pre-Algebra, I originally bought Algebra but then reconsidered and thought more practice would do him good and that seems a wise decision so far, he is gaining fluency and speed. Since it is only 30 wks he will finish early, the plan as of now is to have him do various Key  to Books and Hands On Equations to finish the year, we'll see when we get there. 

He is using Cover Story for writing but I've slowed it down, he is not very fast with writing and was spending about 2x as long every day as I'd planned(it will take him the whole year to finish instead of the 24 wks they plan). I'm just thrilled because I already see such growth and for him to enjoy writing is priceless. I tweak the assignments here and there but mostly they work well for him as is- he HATES the videos and honestly hardly watches them. He has videos for MUS too and doesn't watch them either unless I make him.

I originally bought FLL 4 for grammar but right before we started the JAG workbook came out for free so I decided to go for that. We used Fix-It last year which was pretty much a waste so I figured backing up would be good and it has been b/c he has forgot more than he remembers. He is doing the grammar this fall and in the spring he'll do mechanics. 

Oh, and spelling is still Apples and Pears, he's finally made it to Level D. So far so good, I've seen a big jump in his spelling. He'll never be a good speller but I now have some faith he'll be at least passable at it.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

We started this week.  DD17 has a fever, so just kind of reads when he's awake.  He only attended one of his math class in the city.  

DD13 is starting off on the right foot!  Awesome attitude, no careless math mistakes, a willingness and curiosity that wasn't there last year.

I attribute it to her newfound love of horses and riding.  She is at the barn a few days a week.  As she says, it gives her purpose.

Bravewriter High School Writing Projects - Just awesome for her.  Love, love, love so far.  She is writing about...surprise....horses.

HaOH.  I am not getting too much feedback from her.  I love the lectures.  She asks questions and does some research on her own.  We will add Doctor Who episodes when appropriate.

Spanish - Homeschool Spanish Academy was a bust in the free trial.  She was sooo nervous and trembling the entire time.  She begged to do something different.  For now, she is doing Pimsleur (she loves it) and duolingo.  Pimsleur makes her feel like a speaker immediately.  Not sure if we will do Breaking the Barrier or not.  Hopefully after the holidays, she will feel better about Homeschool Spanish Academy.  She is really enjoying Spanish, though, and is picking up things quickly. 

Art of Problem Solving/Alcumus/Math Minutes.  All good, as usual.

Grammar Revolution - Awesome.  Short, sweet, engaging.

Reading aloud Anne of Green Gables.  It's a childhood fave, so I just had to!  Will do a Boomerang with it.

Ellen McHenry's Botany - only did one lesson.  Good.  Will also use Memoria Press' Trees unit and other things.  I expect we will start to love this.

CNN Student News - she always loves this.

Sheppard's Software - she does a little each day and enjoys it.  She adds in How the States Got Their Shapes when there is time.

So - we are taking it easy this week.  I'd like to come up with some kind of schedule, as there is so much I'd like to do - poor girl!  Part of the schedule will include the Bravewriter Lifestyle.  We will also do movies based on a country (for geography)  each month.  We need to add in Cesar's English (which she likes) and So You Want to Learn English and Coursera's Learning How to Learn.  We also need to add in Lit for History.  Sigh.  It all seems so overwhelming now.

• Like 2

This is Week 5 for us and our homeschool already imploded (I knew it would).

6th grader is going to do living math this year.  She was using a math curriculum and it was becoming so tedious to her - she was starting to hate math.  She never missed a problem, either (which probably means it was too easy).  She really likes Apologia Anatomy & Physiology!  Ecoutez, Parlez! is also a big hit (she is trying to teach herself French).  She loves Rip the Page (creative writing).  

8th grader is basically doing 9th grade with the 9th grader.  But, we completely stopped everything except math and German, because we just got off on a rabbit trail...  We started with Barron's American Government, read one of the Maybury books (which my daughter loves), read the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights, started looking at presidential candidate issues, they chose which candidate they would vote for, we're doing a Mock Trial at home (I guess the Australian Shepherds will be the jury), we're headed off to the Department of Treasury to take the tour and see how money is made...I've got several more books the kids are going to read and we're going to work on a book that covers criminal trial cases and you have to decide guilty or not-guilty (Lol).

Oh well.   :D   

This could still be a good time to sneak Daughter of Time back in (from AO year 7).  The time period doesn't fit (Richard III), but the idea that there are two sides to a story really does.  It's not a hard read, and once you (they) get into it, they will really enjoy it, imho.  

• Like 1

We started 3 weeks ago, but this is our first full week.  So far, so good.  DD and I are really enjoying US history.  We're using Joy Hakim's The History of US and reading it together.  Already we've followed some fun rabbit trails.  Her three online classes don't start until next week, so I'm sure that will be an adjustment.  I'm a little fearful about how long her days will be.  I know she's still adjusting, but she's been working till at least 3 each day.  Adding 8 hours of online classes to her week is going to be tough.  Perhaps I need to pull out Teaching from Rest and rethink somethings.  Hmmmm.  

This could still be a good time to sneak Daughter of Time back in (from AO year 7).  The time period doesn't fit (Richard III), but the idea that there are two sides to a story really does.  It's not a hard read, and once you (they) get into it, they will really enjoy it, imho.  

Yeah, that book is definitely on our reading list this year!

• Like 1

We started slow the 2nd week in August, added 2 subjects a week and just got up to full load last week. It was going really well, but next week is shot to pieces with labor day, Heirloom Expo, co-op activities all kicking in. Hoping we can just keep moving forward next week and then make a steady routine once the distractions are done.

Friday we went on a field trip to a coast guard station, got to go on 2 ships, learned a lot. Fun, but totally off-book.

• Like 1

We've been going about a month. It's actually going much better than I expected, but the workload is quite a bit this year. I'm taking on some extra outside responsibilities, too, so time management is going to have to be priority for both ds and myself. 

Ds has really complained about school work the last couple of years and not given his best effort at times. I feel that has improved a lot, and honestly, I'm not sure why. Yippee, though!

• Like 3

We have completed 5 weeks. It went really well.  This is probably our best start to a year in at least 3 years. I did a lot of planning this year to make sure that things were very realistic. I have a good schedule and flow going for the days. I have good materials. We have had our first weeks without much out of the house activities on the calendar. This week, as everything out of the house starts up after Labor Day, will be our real test with time management.  This month is going to feel like our first of the year.

I am very happy with the materials I have chosen for dd12. Very happy. I have never had such a good start with her. I am confident with the planning I have done for her, her good attitude, and the materials we are using.  We wrapped up week 5 with a project day. She lives for art and projects. Her writing and spelling are already improving a lot this year.

We have started high school officially with dd14. I like the materials we are using, mostly WTM recommendations. She is making progress in her writing with us focusing on it a lot. She isn't super excited about anything like her sis, but she is in general a less excitable person, lol. She has a lot going on for electives and extra curriculars which will encompass things that she loves. That is where her excitement will probably stem from.

We have done well with keeping up read alouds. We are enjoying getting outside for part of every day. We are doing art and field trips and one music lesson. Both kids are still playing around with piano, keeping up a bit of practice on their own which they like. The preschooler is adjusting as well as can be expected to being home more while the kids study. She is finding the routine in our day and keeping busy.

We always like to get in art. This week our focus there is on the state fair coming up. We are selecting projects to enter from some of their favorites of the past few months and creating some new things. We love going to see how they placed and just that whole day we spend at the fair in general that we are anticipating soon. We have the month scheduled out neatly with our field trips, scout activities, and co-op and dance classes coming up. And we are planning a well earned family retreat for our fall break. Lots of good things going on here. :)

• Like 3

We moved several states away less than a month ago for DH's job, and we only knew we were moving to this place four weeks before that.  The summer was a whirlwind of job hunting trips, interviews, decisions, getting a house on the market, packing, moving... We are slowly winding up. DD9 is in public school which started mid-August, ds11 and dd13 are doing two classes at the middle school.

This will be week four of school, but up to this point we've done the part time middle school classes and small, enjoyable things (SuperStar Student, drama, using DreamBox and Alcumus).  This week we will add in literature and writing, math and Latin for ds11, and DO physical science and logic for dd13.  In another week we will add in world geography and grammar.  DD13's AoPS class won't start until October.  It isn't a neat and clean start, and won't be a neat and clean finish. Hopefully when we're up and running full-tilt it will be as smooth as it has been so far.

• Like 1

We're in the middle of week four. Just about everything has been going well, but I am also feeling slightly inadequate. This is my first time teaching middle school - ds is in 6th. I feel like I have the elementary years down, but this seems so much bigger than that? What if I'm inadequately preparing my kid for high school and college. At my low points I see cardboard boxes and children living in my basement for the rest of their lives.

We added current events this year and a media literacy curriculum from the American Press Institute.

WWS1 has surpassed my expectations as has Hake Grammar. HO is a huge hit as always. We stepped way back to Beast Academy 3 from Sinapore to try and take care of some math issues that kept hanging around. It's paying off. Some sections he flies through and others take awhile which is to be expected. My plan is to work through all of BA that's published with the goal of pre-algebra next fall.

Latin is fine. I'm ambivalent about whether it's worth the time. Ds insists he wants to continue so we do.

I feel like I need to work on my evaluating skills when it comes to his writing. WWS helps me too, but I think I need to have a better rubric in mind. I don't want to keep sending it back for him to fix, but on the other hand, if there's a typo and we can fix it? It feels like we should.

I also have to decide - grades now? Transcript? Tests? Ds is going to public school for High School so I need to start considering the transition at least a little bit.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 4

I am adding to my review of the past month. Today we started dd12's new science getting ready for co-op. So far, we had been doing Earth science after a unit study we did over the summer. During August we finished that and did additional reading and projects and field trips.  Since her co-op science class starts this week we started their chosen science book for this year: Science in the Age of Reason. This doesn't match our time period at all this year (we are in ancients. Our co-op president's personal history rotation has her in American History this year, so it fits her timeline,) but I don't mind that. It is for grades K-6, and dd12 is officially in 7th. But I don't mind that either. I am very happy not to be in Apologia this year. I am tired of drilling one subject for the entire year. This book touches on all kinds of branches of science, which means we will touch on things we haven't with Apologia at co-op over the last few years. And I am adding in notebooking and the Usborne Encyclopedia of Science. Today went really well. She read the first page of her lesson, then wrote definitions using the encyclopedia. Then we read the corresponding encyclopedia pages and notebooked about that and then watched all of the links online. dd12 enjoyed it so much. I have been wanting to do science using the encyclopedia as our main science for awhile. Since the co-op's book choice is at a lower reading level, we will finally have time to do science the WTM way if not on the WTM rotation. And I have missed experiments, reading, definitions, Usborne links, and notebooking with her doing Apologia the past few years. So yay! And another bonus, dd will do the experiments at co-op, so I don't have to gather supplies and do that. I enjoyed doing it over the summer when I didn't have the time constraints of all of our extracurricular schedules and volunteer responsibilities. I am thankful during the year to outsource that which is why I have stuck with her doing Apologia with them, even when it isn't my first choice at all.

• Like 1

Cross posting details with Accelerated board now that I had a chance to jot down some specifics. It's DD's birthday tomorrow so no school.

We're only on our 2nd week, but it's going well.

Forester's algebra I -- this was the right choice. We are doing a lot of living math along with it, and I think we're both going to be happier. She just doesn't love math enough to be an AoPS kid, and I don't blame her. I wouldn't have been either, and I was on the math competitive leagues in school because I really didn't have a choice, but I never loved it.

Literature--we are using Mosdos Jade and Figuratively Speaking. I think it's going to be fine. Analyses aren't as in-depth as I'd hoped, but it's giving us a very solid short story and poetry overview that didn't require me to put it together. It's forcing DD to write about literature which she doesn't really like to do.

Writing--we are finishing Lively Art of Writing and I have a bunch of other materials that we're using to focus on persuasive essays and some other essay types this year. We are also incorporating info about note taking that I've gathered from Note and Notice and Reading Nonfiction from the same authors.

Logical Thought/Argument--I've built my own half-year course around nonsense and Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments and other materials. We are rich with samples to analyze thanks to the election year.

Family bookclub--we read different non-fiction books and this year we are focusing on books about single foods that focus on their scientific, environmental, social, and political impacts. We started with Banana: The Fate of the Fruit that Changed the World. We all agree that it's excellent!

Science--doing too many things to list. Stuff as a family, history, labs, just covering a lot of material.

Spanish--EspaĂƒÂ±ol Santillana 1B and we continue to love this program

History--Renaissance. I've built it myself using a bunch of different resources, including source material, historical fiction, projects, etc. Incorporating art and music history into it too.

We have a lot of other extras mixed in so we're pretty busy. DD is also a teaching assistant for 3 aerial classes every week, a preschool class every 2 weeks, and she has an outdoor program all day 1x a week plus she is still doing clay (6th year now..) and spends about 15 hours a week on aerial practices or performances. We're stretched pretty thin, but hoping we can pull this off.

• Like 2

So far, so good. I have been really pleased with the school year so far. We have finished 3 weeks of our 4th year. This year has its challenges as I am in treatment for breast cancer, but the kids have done really well with independent work and family/Scouts are filling in the field trip and outing holes.  You read can about it in my blog: 

Week 1 https://kidblog.org/class/ZeyAcademy/posts/2qwceqbmv046ub7ysa4qfuhir

Week 2 https://kidblog.org/class/ZeyAcademy/posts/0anb3s5w1jgedmibiveuisl03

Week 3 https://kidblog.org/class/ZeyAcademy/posts/cblda3fmi99ewzuen77scf87m

Our whole history can be found in my siggie link.

• Like 2

We're in the middle of week four. Just about everything has been going well, but I am also feeling slightly inadequate. This is my first time teaching middle school - ds is in 6th. I feel like I have the elementary years down, but this seems so much bigger than that? What if I'm inadequately preparing my kid for high school and college. At my low points I see cardboard boxes and children living in my basement for the rest of their lives.

We added current events this year and a media literacy curriculum from the American Press Institute.

WWS1 has surpassed my expectations as has Hake Grammar. HO is a huge hit as always. We stepped way back to Beast Academy 3 from Sinapore to try and take care of some math issues that kept hanging around. It's paying off. Some sections he flies through and others take awhile which is to be expected. My plan is to work through all of BA that's published with the goal of pre-algebra next fall.

Latin is fine. I'm ambivalent about whether it's worth the time. Ds insists he wants to continue so we do.

I feel like I need to work on my evaluating skills when it comes to his writing. WWS helps me too, but I think I need to have a better rubric in mind. I don't want to keep sending it back for him to fix, but on the other hand, if there's a typo and we can fix it? It feels like we should.

I also have to decide - grades now? Transcript? Tests? Ds is going to public school for High School so I need to start considering the transition at least a little bit.

This is me!

We are on day two.  Yesterday wasn't bad...it was pretty typical as far as things go, but for some reason it has been an emotional roller coaster for me.  I had a major case of doubting myself last night and a heavy feeling that we weren't "doing enough".  There is really no base for my thoughts/feelings.  I am happy with the curriculum we are using and how things are progressing.  I feel like we've hit a good groove the past couple years.  I think it could very likely be that switch to grade 7 that is freaking me out.  

• Like 1

This made me laugh out loud.

Hang in there. In a few weeks you'll have them all lined up like this:

:Angel_anim:   :001_cool:   :biggrinjester:   :wub:  and :willy_nilly: <--- this is not going to change soon. You realize that, right?

It is hilarious how accurate these are. We got home from a trip last night, so I might be able to answer this question properly today. Might. I'm stealing from lesson planning time to even look at this thread.

• Like 1

We are starting Week 5 (we go with our DD's ps schedule).  It's my first year with a high schooler.   :huh:   I spent a TON of time laying out the year over the summer as I knew I would probably have another hip surgery this semester.  So glad I did - surgery was 8/22, and although I was down longer than I thought, the boys were able to keep plugging away.  

So far, it's mostly good.  We had really prepped DS14 that 9th grade would require a lot more of him, and he started strong - really committing doing his work well and investing the time necessary.  But the novelty of that wore off quick.   :huh:  So we had to have the conversation again about ramping up effort and investment.  He is taking Biology and Algebra 1 at a tutorial, and it's been great for him to have teachers who are super enthusiastic about those subjects as I amĂ¢â‚¬Â¦not...

DS12 is in 6th grade, and for the most part he is doing well.  He is very bright, but struggles mightily with spelling (on paper - orally he can spell anything) and handwriting.  I suspect he has dysgraphia, but not sure how to confirm that.  I have found Jump In to be terrific in that everything is SO broken down he doesn't feel overwhelmed.  I chose an anatomy and physiology course that would challenge him, but it hasn't been a good fit so we are waiting for another curriculum to arrive and try.  We've tried just about every math curriculum out there, and while DS12 excels at math, he always finds something he doesn't like about the curriculum.  This year we are doing Math Mammoth, but he is already "meh" with it.  

This year I really wanted to focus on the subjects that we often let go too much and allow for rabbit trails, especially for DS12.  We are doing History of Rock and Roll for music and it has been so fun introducing the boys to Fats Domino and Chuck Berry.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

We are in Week 4. The kids are doing well. We aren't getting done everything I had hoped to get done, but we are doing okay. We have a full year ahead of us. Dd13 is warming up to her Lukeion class. She doesn't like Latin, so I'm happy to see her enjoying herself a little. She messed up on her first quiz (only by a few points) because she didn't go over her answers. She used 10 minutes of the 1 hour+ allotted for the quiz. She was upset at herself when she saw that she had misentered a couple of things. All in all, I think it was a great lesson for her. She learned she doesn't like missing those kinds of things on a test. If she learns to slow down and do her work carefully, that would make the class worth it even without learning Latin. Ds12 has really ramped up his output this year. He has always had a hard time focusing. It still takes him a long time to get his work done, but I am so proud of him. He is really coming along. Ds10 looks like he has made significant developmental progress since last year. His spelling and grammar skills are both coming along. Dd6 is doing school every day this year. Last year, we barely did school together twice each week.  :001_huh:  Dd2 is adorable. And loud. And messy. It is looking to be a good, solid year. Not fabulous, maybe, but not terrible either.

• Like 4

This is the beginning of our second week. Some successes and challenges already. This is the first year we are doing a public charter school, and the earliest  they would accept our curriculum order was August 22nd. So I am still waiting for our materials to come. They sent us a grade level packet of Spectrum workbooks to tide us over. Thankfully I am a curriculum hoarder, so we can use other materials! 

An early success is using OneNote for scheduling and communication. This year ds and dd are doing a just as many subjects apart as they are together. We are also trying to stress more independence and time management skills. So they each have their task list, they can choose how to manage their time, and they can check it off in OneNote. 

Another challenge is focusing on schoolwork and spending less time with friends. I think we will need to set some boundaries with friends that are more relaxed about schooling. 

• Like 2

We had two days last week and this will be our first full week.

On the bright side, dd11 started ps for grade 6 and seems to love it.  She was worried about being behind in math but that doesn't seem to be an issue.  I am hoping the class will be ok - it turns out that the school offers a "French intensive" program for grade 6, and most of the better students are in that grade 6 class.  However, it means dd's class is fairly small and also the teacher seems to be well in control.  My only worry real worry is that we were planning for her to go into grade 7 immersion next year and I expect most of those kids will have done the French intensive.  I really wish it had been more clear to me that it was an option this year.

It's really nice though that she is enjoying it so much.

My younger kids are more mixed.  Dd8 had great days last week, this week she is much less cooperative and wants to argue about everything.  It is taking longer to get less done.  I had told her that with the new baby coming, I needed her to be cooperative, or she would have to go to ps, but of course that was probably asking too much.  She really seems to think the whole thing is unfair.  I may need to change Sequential Spelling for something else, but at the moment I can't decide if she is being difficult mainly to get out of it, or because it really isn't a good fit.

Ds6 is just starting, and it is going ok.  We are having very short days, less than 1/2 hour at this point.  His main issue is that he really melts down if he doesn't get things right on the first try, or doesn't feel like he can do something perfectly.  I am just trying to start by going very slow, with clear expectations.  I've made it clear that it is normal to not be perfect but it doesn't seem to matter what I think.  We'll just keep on plugging I think.

We are facing a steep learning curve in our transition from home brewed to online courses. The biggest challenge is dealing with outside deadlines. We can no longer just shove what didn't get accomplished into a new week. We must finish things and it's been a tough transition for my 11 year old. I think it's a necessary skill to acquire though, so overall I would say it's going well. He is learning a ton especially in subjects I have been unable to help him.

• Like 2

An early success is using OneNote for scheduling and communication. This year ds and dd are doing a just as many subjects apart as they are together. We are also trying to stress more independence and time management skills. So they each have their task list, they can choose how to manage their time, and they can check it off in OneNote.

We use OneNote in much the same way. It works so much better for us than most of the homeschool specific products I've used. Being able to access it anywhere on multiple devices really helps.

• Like 2