Menu

KNFB Reader

Jeeves

I was wondering if anyone here has used this with their dyslexic/reading disorder kids?  I had been looking for a text to voice app for my DS 10 so that he could be more independent in subjects not related directly to reading as a skill (e.g. science, history), but was having a hard time finding an app that would both scan and translate to voice.  Then I asked a blind friend if he knew of any and this is what he suggested.  And it works!  We installed it on our "home cell phone" which doesn't have that great of a camera and it still seems to work.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else has tried it and how it worked for their kiddos?  Here's the link to the Google app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sensotec.knfbreader&hl=en

It's on sale at Google Play right now (at least it was when I bought it this morning) for $19.99, (normally $99).  (I would have installed it on our iPad, but it's not on sale at the App store!)

Edited by Jeeves

http://www.thecodpast.org/2016/08/video/dysboxing-9-claro-scanpen-ocr-app-review/ . The app should cost under $10, and I've never used it. It works with a 2MB camera.

My DS has listened to his science and history text using LearningAlly with the LA iPad/iPod app and Bookshare using the Voice Dream app.

eta:  Claro iTunes link.

Edited by Heathermomster

Thank you for the information!  I'll look into that Scanpen for another option.

He has a membership with Bookshare, but we haven't utilized it much yet.  Why do you use Voice Dream for that?  And if you have the Voice Dream app is it pretty straightforward to download the Bookshare files to it or it is a multi-step process?

I haven't signed him up for Learning Ally yet.  I need to do that!

Thank you for the information!  I'll look into that Scanpen for another option.

He has a membership with Bookshare, but we haven't utilized it much yet.  Why do you use Voice Dream for that?  And if you have the Voice Dream app is it pretty straightforward to download the Bookshare files to it or it is a multi-step process?

I haven't signed him up for Learning Ally yet.  I need to do that!

VoiceDream with Bookshare is easy.  You use the VoiceDream app to retireve the Bookshare files, and then you use the VoiceDream app to listen and read the book via Immersion.  The app allows you to sample digital voices, and you can use either a free voice or pay $2 to $3 for one that you prefer more. 

LearningAlly uses actual readers for their books, and you can use the Library Service to get audio books with a print disability as well.

Edited by Heathermomster