Menu

Course descriptions-where to put stuff that falls in multiple categories?

DD is applying for a very specific, competitive DE program, and they want a description of homeschooling in major class areas for the last years.

Since DD is so "pointy" with regards to science, a lot has been rolled into that the last two years. So, for example, she maintains her blog/social media campaign, writes up her research and presents at conferences, gives advocacy talks, coordinates a local group to help involve children in animal education and advocacy, and so on.

I have little trouble listing multiple science areas a year-for example, giving her a credit for the science class she actually does at home, but also giving her one for the research she does in the field and lab, but I admit that I have been relatively light in my writing demands, considering her science writing and advocacy writing and the research involved to substitute for some of the informative and persuasive writing that would normally occur in English or History.

And now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if maybe I've made a mistake at letting her follow her interests. I'd just never expected to be essentially doing a college application quite so early....

Edited my response because I didn't realize it might be a particular "DE program".

You should definitely not second guess letting her follow her interests.

I have an IRL friend who very generously shared her DD's course descriptions with me. These were for a very selective university where her DD was admitted. This girl has done a lot of field research work so her mother listed the work as a separate course entitled _________ (general subject area) Field Studies. So if the bulk of your DD's work is Herp or Bio or Environ Science, you could list it as Herp/Biology/Environmental Field Studies or something to that effect.

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

You really can't attach samples, although including web links may work. At least, not for the part of the application I've seen (you have to complete each step before moving on to the next. I much prefer the printed applications of my college/grad school days).

Since DD is so "pointy" with regards to science, a lot has been rolled into that the last two years. So, for example, she maintains her blog/social media campaign, writes up her research and presents at conferences, gives advocacy talks, coordinates a local group to help involve children in animal education and advocacy, and so on.

I have little trouble listing multiple science areas a year-for example, giving her a credit for the science class she actually does at home, but also giving her one for the research she does in the field and lab, but I admit that I have been relatively light in my writing demands, considering her science writing and advocacy writing and the research involved to substitute for some of the informative and persuasive writing that would normally occur in English or History.

Why can't you just count the science and advocacy writing as part of her English credit? You'd be surprised how little writing many PS students actually do in English class — a relative of mine never wrote a single essay in her Honors English class (the biggest "writing" project was a short PowerPoint presentation on a totally stupid topic). And for history, discussion is a perfectly legitimate form of "output" — much more useful IMO than filling in worksheets or taking multiple-choice tests. You could also give your DD a separate credit for Public Speaking for the conference presentations and advocacy talks, or just roll those into the English credit if you need more hours there.

The key to packaging unconventional learners for conventional applications is to break out all the different components of what they do and then distribute those across the standard "subject" categories that would normally appear on a transcript. For example, "English 9" can include whatever you want to put in there: blog & advocacy writing, nonfiction reading and research, presentations, literature, analyzing current political rhetoric, etc. Even without any literature, you can still have an English credit called something like "Rhetoric and Composition," focusing on speaking and writing. You can combine work from multiple years into a single credit (or even half-credit); many homeschoolers do their transcripts by subject rather than by year, but even if you have to include years on the transcript, you can decide where it makes the most sense to put the credit.

And now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if maybe I've made a mistake at letting her follow her interests. I'd just never expected to be essentially doing a college application quite so early....

No, don't second-guess yourself! DD is who she is, and she's where she is (applying early to a special DE program) precisely because she was given the freedom to pursue her passions. 

Don't let the fact that the application is written a certain way (to accommodate 99% of applicants) make you think that the program doesn't want applicants who don't fit in those boxes. The same characteristics that make it harder to squeeze your DD into those boxes are what will make her stand out to the selection committee. Passion, drive, and self-motivation are exactly what admissions people look for.

Next question- how much is too much? I think I have a draft of DD's major subject areas done, and the total for the last two years, plus the courses planned for this year, is 20 pages. A big part of that is lists of books, materials, labs used, public presentations and talks, and so on. And that's with only listing the major stuff, not, say, every single journal article she's read and summarized for her blog for the past two years.

I have this fear of not giving them enough, but I'm also seriously wondering if anyone is actually going to take the time to read all this stuff!

What I was told by selective private high schools when we ask about how much details for homeschoolers was we were to give details like you would a work resume. So list any achievements first like public presentations, conference papers and all that then books, materials, labs use.

So for example Latin, list whatever NLE scores you have followed by materials used. They outright say they might not have someone familiar with all the curriculum but things like conferences, talks, exams, contests are just easier to gauge.

I would strongly suggest a big pot/pitcher of your favorite beverage and a plate of your favorite snack when making that phone call. Their other app was enough to drive me up the wall because of having to complete steps in sequence for both my kids.

I have the impression that they had accepted at least one homeschooled child because of them being aware of the difficulties of the online app. Especially if the parent teach math and English to their child with no outside teachers/tutors.

Good luck.

I did finally get verification as to how to handle those recommendations when you don't have an outside teacher/tutor in those subjects. It seems like they'd get enough homeschool applicants to either alter the form or to at least make the instructions clearer as to how to handle that when you don't have outside instructors. DD has plenty of people willing to write recommendations for her, but not an explicit "Mathematics teacher" or "English Teacher".  I am really, really glad we did the other app before they went to this online only form when it was just a series of questions and e-mail attachments. I still sweated blood over that thing, but I wasn't trying to fit a really oddly shaped peg into a round hole!

Edited by dmmetler