Menu

Nail polish that stops nails from breaking ?

Shellydon

My toenails and fingernails crack and split down to the center of the nail.  Very painful!  I am searching for some sort of polish or gel that I can use to step them form breaking.    The best I have found so far is the Sally Hanson 2 step gel, but I crack two nails today and am looking for something stronger.

If it is split down the center of the nail you need to go to a nail tech and have them repair it, likely with glued fake nail and/or acrylic until the split grows out. No nail polish is strong enough to deal with a deep split and you have to hold it firmly together to prevent the split from traveling down. They can totally help :)

If it's just every nail being prone to splitting have you found out why? That is absolutely not normal and I can think of a few deficiencies that can cause that and would need to be addressed to solve it long term.

Yikes! And you've been tested for things like vitamin d, c, folic acid, iron, etc?

A gel manicure from the pros may be the next best step over a home manicure if you're not willing to wear a fake nail. I'm using one right now to grow out my nail while I take an acrylic break and it's amazing how much less splitting and flaking I'm having. My nails are a bit atrocious from pregnancy so that's why I'm having those symptoms.

Yikes! And you've been tested for things like vitamin d, c, folic acid, iron, etc?

A gel manicure from the pros may be the next best step over a home manicure if you're not willing to wear a fake nail. I'm using one right now to grow out my nail while I take an acrylic break and it's amazing how much less splitting and flaking I'm having. My nails are a bit atrocious from pregnancy so that's why I'm having those symptoms.

Yes, I have blood work done yearly.  All my labs are normal!  I'll check out a gel manicure.  I've never been in a nail salon, it is a bit intimidating. :)