Menu

Milestone birthday for remaining twin

Legomom

Today is my dad's birthday-- it his 80th, so a milestone birthday.  He lost his identical twin 20 years ago. It was a complete shock and he was devastated.  We are having a birthday party for my dad at my house today and we have invited his nieces and nephews.  This is the first party that we have had where all of the nieces and nephews have been here. 3 of them are his twin's children.

I would like to do something to acknowledge his brother but I am unsure what to do.  My dad and my cousins are atheists and very unemotional -- at least they don't like to show emotion. So I would like to acknowledge him but something that isn't too emotional, nostalgic or spiritual.  I know that doesn't sound very possible, but I also don't want it to remain unspoken since I am the host of the party. 

I would appreciate any ideas that you have!

Could each person share a favorite memory or something unique they remember. For example, my dh's grandfather always ate before going to any sort of party or gathering because you never know if they will have food you like. Your dad likely has some stories that his twin's children may not have heard. It also helps bring the deceased into the present in a way.

• Like 2

If there's maybe a toast time then I'd just mention it then. Something simple like "I also just wanted to acknowledge that it would have been ___'s birthday too and that we all miss him and celebrate his life." It sounds like anything planned ahead much will be too big a gesture for this crowd. I also like the idea of a framed photo. Maybe of the two of them?

• Like 5