Menu

If your child goes to PS, do you donate?

DawnM

I appreciate that my boys' schools have gone to what they call a "one and done" fundraising campaign.  That means there are no wrapping paper sales, no candy sales, etc.....

But they don't really specify an amount.  The paper just says, "Donation" and has a box for $50, $100, $150, $200, and
"other."

Do you donate?  It isn't mandatory.  But I would like to give some.

DS's last school asked for $100 per student.  I donated.  Considering we were looking at putting him in a private Christian school OR the charter, the $100 donation for the charter was cheap. I found out later that less than 25% donate per year.  That would not have affected my giving, but I was surprised.

Do you or would you donate?

I was on the PTO last year. I am not this year, but still active and volunteer.

Everytime my kids bring home a fundraiser I am unwilling to participate in, (That supports the school, library, gym, etc.) I try to send back a check for $10 or $20. Just something small to alleviate our lack of participation.

When the fundraiser is to support the "American Cancer Society" or some such, I just decline.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 5

I donated in kind to the classrooms every year that my kids were in B&M public school. My kids school has lots of PTA donation but it does not filter down to the classroom level. It just help offset the general operational cost like Teacher's Day lunch, replacing worn out library books and balls for PE and other stuff. What my kids teachers need were white board markers, reams of paper, boxes of Kleenex (or any other brand during allergy season) as well as some consumable science supplies like baking soda, vinegar, ph strips.

So when a list of much appreciated items come from their classroom teachers, we'll see what we can get cheap or have an oversupply at home and donate.

• Like 1

I donate to the classroom supplies fund and the reading lab (where I also volunteer). Sometimes we'll do the "dine at a particular restaurant" fundraisers but not that often. I don't do the stupid ___-athons and overpriced gift wrap/candy/etc. sales. The auction I donate wine to but we don't attend.

• Like 2

Our PTO (high school level) asks you to donate time or money. I like that arrangement--some people have time available where they can man the office information desk for a few hours a week or run different activities. Others don't have time, but do have the ability to give financially. I spend a few hours a week in the tutoring center where my math skills are greatly appreciated. And if they ask for donations for providing teachers with a lunch or whatever, I often participate in those.

• Like 2

It depends on if "one and done" really means what it says. In elementary school, beyond school fees, school supplies, an occasional field trip,and a small optional PTO fee, there weren't many extra costs. When my kids went through middle school the individual teams were allowed to set a team fee beyond those costs, and in some cases it as high as $100. The district put an end to those middle school fees and also standardized the supply lists so costs were more uniform. 

I wouldn't pay a "once and done" fee at the high school my kids went through, because IMO fees already were high. This year $403 which covered $150 instructional fees, $25 technology fee, $100 laptop rental, $50 yearbook, and various misc fees, including $60 for my student to park in the student lot that we as taxpayers already have paid for. That's all they're getting from me. 

• Like 2

I'm really tired of school fundraisers. We pay thousands of dollars each year in ISD taxes. My kids are not in public school. We are not allowed to take advantage of *anything* the local public school offers.

And there are fundraisers for all sorts of stuff. My current personal favorite ... uniform for the high school mascot.

Something must be wrong that they are always asking for more money. 

I'm considering starting a GoFundMe for my homeschool. Not seriously, but sometimes. 

• Like 6

I never donate to public schools. Here the reimbursement is $14,000 per student per year paid by various taxes. I pay over $1200 a month in property taxes, of which, the bulk goes to public schools. So, I feel like I do more than my share already. Our schools are a ridiculous waste and should not be rewarded for any shortfalls by the generosities of my gifts. I would much rather anonymously donate to the local dance school for a child who could not afford to take as many classes as he needs. Just my $.02.

Edited by Minniewannabe
  • Like 4

I donate in several ways.  DD has attended 4 different public schools, so I have seen LOTS of fundraising models. 

The current school does not do candy and gift wrap sales, etc. They do a major appeal in the fall, and again in the spring. One focuses on getting the largest donation possible, and the other focuses on 100% participation, even if you only donate $1. I sent $50. They have an auction in the spring, selling off things donated by families, and several times a year they ask for food, paper goods, etc for teacher events. I usually send in something valued at $10-20. The teachers also participate in various online classroom donor requests, including amazon wish lists. I try to contribute when I can, especially for something like a request for math manipulatives, or interesting tech tools that aren't in the ordinary budget.

ALL of the schools have done box tops. I dislike that sort of program, encouraging kids to buy sponsored products.

• Like 1

I don't fundraise and I don't donate.

I do, however, pay close to $1000 for both dc to use textbooks and a school issued iPad for the year. It's not voluntary either because if you wait too long to pay off the balance they send it to collections. All are returned at end of school year as well so I'm only paying to rent the books and iPad.

So, I don't feel like giving them more money. I will donate my time though.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

I have sticker shock. My older dd just started public high school. They asked for a donation for every single class (ranging from $35 for English to $200 for Guitar, where you also have to pay $95 to rent an instrument if you don't have one), then for $500 per kid on top of the other donations, and then for a donation to the Friends of School foundation. The up front costs including one sport were $1,200.

• Like 1

I donated in kind to the classrooms every year that my kids were in B&M public school. My kids school has lots of PTA donation but it does not filter down to the classroom level. It just help offset the general operational cost like Teacher's Day lunch, replacing worn out library books and balls for PE and other stuff. What my kids teachers need were white board markers, reams of paper, boxes of Kleenex (or any other brand during allergy season) as well as some consumable science supplies like baking soda, vinegar, ph strips.

So when a list of much appreciated items come from their classroom teachers, we'll see what we can get cheap or have an oversupply at home and donate.

That would chap my hide.  A Teacher's Day Lunch considered general operational expenses?   If the school is rolling in money, fine.  

I am all for kids doing fund-raisers for non-school activities like scouts or the church youth group.  If it were for a school activity, a fund-raiser would be OK with me if it were for an unexpected expense.   Like some school team did really good and won the opportunity to compete/perform someplace that involved travel. But, to contribute to the school's general fund?    That is just pissing in the wind.  

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm in the my-taxes-ought-to-be-more-than-sufficient camp. It's outrageous what we pay given the teeny tiny school district.

When they do away with the endless for profit "testing", waste of time "student bonding" camps and other wastes of money, I'll think about it. Until then I see plenty of places they could cut back, and yet still my tax burden goes up every year to sustain the outward flow.

I'll give time and money to making sure at risk students are fed, clothed and otherwise taken care of in whatever outreach the schools can provide. Teacher lunches (does anyone actually like those?) and so forth though, no.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 10

ALL of the schools have done box tops. I dislike that sort of program, encouraging kids to buy sponsored products.

In our school it isn't so much encouragement to buy sponsored products. But, rather, collecting money for the stuff you already get. And your grandparents and neighbors that collect the box tops.  I don't buy special products for the box tops. But I will stop and cut them out when something I buy has it so the school gets the increase.

• Like 3

That would chap my hide.  A Teacher's Day Lunch considered general operational expenses?   If the school is rolling in money, fine.  

I am all for kids doing fund-raisers for non-school activities like scouts or the church youth group.  If it were for a school activity, a fund-raiser would be OK with me if it were for an unexpected expense.   Like some school team did really good and won the opportunity to compete/perform someplace that involved travel. But, to contribute to the school's general fund?    That is just pissing in the wind.  

Yes. Part of the PTA/PTO's job is to support the teachers as well as the students. So every other month, we use PTO funds to do something special for the teachers and show appreciation for the work they do.  The day before Thanksgiving break, we hand out pies (We ask parents to donate these and fill in with purchased pies when we do not get enough donations so every teacher gets one). Before school is out we get a donated breakfast brought in. Etc. But yes, it involves cost sometimes.

Other PTO money is spent on the Field Day activities.  To provide a gaga ball enclosure for the Elementary side (that could be used more than just the one year) and other Field Day special things for the Primary side. (The PE director gets to make the choice of how to spend it). We paid for popcorn for all the students as well.

Other PTO money is spent on teacher grants. They fill out how much money they need for varied purposes (Including a special field trip opportunity), the principals evaluate for whether it is something that should come out of the school general fund, and the PTO distributes what they have among the remaining requests.

Last year we had a team that went to state and then Nationals in DI (Destination Imagination). So we did a lot of helping make sure the students could ALL go to the competitions -- get there, have a place to sleep, etc. The team also did a lot of fundraising, but we filled in the holes. The team leader and parents that wanted to go paid their own way.

Every year money is given to each school for the school to distribute. I know the Primary school held that money for two years and on the third was able to buy a new playground for the PreK students with a teacher-grant that was given. (Playgrounds are -expensive-! The previous playground was breaking and had been roped off to NOT be used by the time the new was brought in.)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 4

We always did when oldest was in ps. It did get frustrating though at times, particularly when they rezoned us and the incoming parents either couldn't or wouldn't help out, which then put an even bigger request on those of us who had traditionally given. But, seeing as how jacked up school funding is in Texas, it was up to the parents to make up the shortfall to make sure the kids had a good experience and a nice playground etc. So whether or not the tax money should've been enough, was moot. It wasn't our school's fault the funding was distributed the way it was- so for us it was just an unfortunate fact of life. 

They don't attend PS, but if they did, I would donate. I'm not happy with the amount of wasted funds, either. I will still donate to help the teachers and kids. They can't help the waste.

I will buy stuff like coupon books that the football team sells or candy bars. I don't do the wrapping paper fundraisers, because I still remember being herded into assemblies and being bribed to sell that crap. That just ticks me off.

• Like 1

Yes. 

In elementary school parent funds paid for an extra teacher, a librarian, an art teacher, a music teacher, Smart Boards for the classrooms, iPads and computers.

The funds added substantially to the quality of the experience for the students.

Middle School has been less "global" in the giving, but we still support the Advanced Math program my son is in. The cost of supporting public school programs is small vs the sky-high tuitions at private schools in the area.

Money well-spent IMO.

Bill

• Like 2

My kids aren't in public school, and I generally do not donate to the school. I did buy one of those $10 discount cards from one of our neighbors one year, but it didn't take me long to recoup the cost since it included discounts for a couple of local shops I do frequent. Another neighbor asks for Boxtops and store bonus card numbers to benefit the public school each year, and I would happily give her those, since we ARE allowed to use the school for classes, etc., although we haven't done so, but our homeschool group is a registered non-profit, so my Boxtops and store bonus cards go to benefit our group instead.

If my kids went to public school, I'd probably it make a flat donation every year in lieu of fundraising, but since they don't, I don't donate to them. I pay a hefty amount in school taxes as it is, and that's money I sure wish I had for spending on activities for my own kids.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

Nope. 

Public school here is meant to be free to the user.  As in, taxpayer funded. 

By making up for shortfalls, we just perpetuate the abysmal lack of funding. 

agreed, and I am in the US

I give things to my kids' classrooms on occasion - special supplies or whatever.

Other than that, I really resent the push to fund the school on top of what is already funded by taxes.  If they need more money to operate, why not ask for a tax increase?  I have to live within a budget, and so should the school.

My DD goes to a public charter and they have constant requests for this or that - they want us to cook for the teacher's staff meetings, etc.  That just seems weird to me.  Why don't they feed themselves, and if they need outside money to do so, budget it in?

• Like 1

I used to help out and donate a lot of money.  We are former a private school family, so donating several hundred dollars is no where near what we used to pay in a single month's tuition. .  Since dd17 is in cheer, I can non longer afford it.  Cheer is the one sport that is not funded by the school, so we pay all of the costs.  It is over $1000 per year for a 3 month sport (second season is another $100-150).   Due to boosters, football/baseball/soccer by comparison are less that $100.  I figure that my paying for 100% for a common high school sport is the equivalent of donating.

• Like 2

I donate money and time to our kids' schools.  Sometimes we do the current fundraiser, sometimes we don't.  I have helped run fundraisers in the past, and it's hard work!  I haven't been a part of a PTA that did fundraisers just for fun - they are work and the money raised is generally well spent, in my experience.  If you  have a child in public school and don't like the way your PTA fundraises or spends the money, you really should get involved.  Most PTA's are run by just a few parents and are very willing to take suggestions from parents, especially from parents who are willing to step in and help.  We move every couple years, so being part of the PTA has helped me feel like I'm a part of the community.  I was more involved when my kids were younger, but I have found that Middle Schools have a real need for parent participation, so I am still involved as our kids have moved up to Middle and High schools. 

• Like 3

Both my kids are in ps and I've never seen a school sponsored  fundraiser or had them ask for donations.  Our PTO and Booster clubs do fundraisers and those go for extras like special assemblies, cultural events or to offset the cost of field trips. I don't participate in the sales but will attend fundraising functions like the holiday bazaar or shred day. Sometimes specific sports or the band will host a fundraiser like a car wash.  I've never really seen any expectation of participation.  People sort of pick and choose and some people never participate.

• Like 1

Yes.

I think that when you join an institution your best stance for success with it is to say yes most of the time.

That is not my natural default, I have to force myself, or at least remind myself, but it's what works.

If you're mostly agreeable, then you build up social capital for when you really need help or really need to make a stand.  If you aren't, then people just think you're a pain all the time.

Plus I am very committed to good education, or I wouldn't have homeschooled and done parent coop preschool.  So why wouldn't I put my money where my mouth is?

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

When my oldest was in school, I never donated money to the school. I pay taxes to support the schools. I am not going to give the lawmakers a break by subsidizing their strangling of school budgets. Also, I don't think that every school needs some sort of electronic whiteboard or other glitzy technology.

Edited by Haiku
  • Like 3

When my kids were in public school, I donated a lot of time and money because I wanted to contribute to things that the classrooms needed for enrichment activities, and because it bought me social capital and the ear of the principal if I had an issue I needed resolved.  Most times, I would donate the money to one of my kids' specific classrooms so my kid saw the benefits.  For example, one year there was no money for buses to take DS's class on a field trip, so I donated the money for the buses (I was mad because DS's 2nd grade was the only class that would not have a field trip otherwise that year).  I continue to support the public school kids when they come around with their fundraisers (I *love* the high quality of the gift wrap they sell), but don't donate cash anymore; that pot of money goes directly to homeschooling my kids now.  Donate as much as you can, for both reasons.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

I would be all over a "one and done" fundraiser.  In fact, I'd probably give extra just to make sure they stuck with it in the future.

This. I don't do chocolate, wrapping paper, etc, etc, etc, so so far I've never donated anything to the PTO, but if they did a "one and done", I'd probably send them $20 per kid I had enrolled or something, just to show my pleasure at not having all the other nonsense.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I didn't really expect the strong opinions given, but they are all valid in their own right.

We will donate to each school, but I work in the poorest school in our city, and they don't get the parent donations. So, I will "donate" more there in various ways. I will buy supplies for my students, donate when they ask teachers to help out, and do what I can. That is where my main focus is.

• Like 1

I never donate to public schools. Here the reimbursement is $14,000 per student per year paid by various taxes. I pay over $1200 a month in property taxes, of which, the bulk goes to public schools. So, I feel like I do more than my share already. Our schools are a ridiculous waste and should not be rewarded for any shortfalls by the generosities of my gifts. I would much rather anonymously donate to the local dance school for a child who could not afford to take as many classes as he needs. Just my $.02.

Whoa!  Those are some high taxes!

• Like 1

No, I don't donate but my kids are not in public school. Our local public school district is aggressively anti homeschooling. Aggressively. Our state also spends more than the national average per student, yet are (performance wise) in the bottom 3 in the nation. I think the average ACT score rose to a 17.9 recently. I'm happy to support specific teachers (and have), or drives that help kids (supplies, costs, food, etc), but I'm not sending a dime to help fund a blatantly broken, poorly managed, and not particularly student-focused school system here.

• Like 4

MIne do not attend brick and mortar high schools, but if they did, I would definitely donate. Two of mine are in public universities at present. We give an annual donation to their scholarship funds. For one ds it goes to the music department because he requested that we designate it there, and for the other, to the biology department.

Donations are generally down across the board. We are having a real struggle in 4-H, and it is going to be difficult for the Student Launch team to complete their NASA project because of it. We nixed one of their science payload ideas due to costs and forced them to go with a cheap, biological payload instead. So seeing how it affects educational programs as a leader/mentor/educator, I try to be generous where I can.

That said, it seems like the sports programs are FLUSH with money. Sigh.....

• Like 1

That said, it seems like the sports programs are FLUSH with money. Sigh.....

Parents here are happy to be sports boosters because their return is their kid learning how to focus, improve, and put 100% effort in....you cant get that in the classroom here as the challenging work has been removed.

People here feel their tax increases do not ever reach the student. What is left after the annual 5% compensation increase for staff all goes to medical that the state and feds should be funding.