Menu

What's missing in my 2nd grader's writing?

Gabrielsyme2

We started school yesterday and have been flying through our work. I wanted to leave plenty of margin in our schedule and see if I needed to add more as we went along. Already feel like I might need to add more to writing. Every day DD 7 does 1 page in the handwriting book Write WAcky Sentances, we work through diagraming a section of MCT's Grammar Island together (we're on direct objects) and she does copy work from her Awana memory work. Today's was "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be save..." What do you think? I'm specifically wondering if most second graders are doing more lengthy, advanced copy work. It's definitely her least favorite thing to do but I could add more there.

It looks good to me, too.  The only thing I might add at this age would be to possibly do some scribing for her while she dictates a story or ideas so that she can focus on the flow of thoughts without getting bogged down in the mechanics (spelling, physical act of writing, grammar,etc.).  Often a child is capable of some amazing thought processes/story telling, but is not given adequate opportunity to get those out onto paper since the mechanics of writing often take longer to develop.  Working on the two things separately at times gives the child the chance to advance in both areas of writing at the best pace for their personal developmental path.

• Like 2

I sometimes try to kill several birds with one stone and have my children write very short 'reports' or summaries of history or science.  Depending on the topic and age of the child, I might instead have them divide a page into 3-6 parts and write a few words or a sentence (such as with the 4 seasons or stages of a life cycle).  It reinforces and gives us a record of what we were learning and also gives a little bit of practice in writing and organization that I'm optimistically hoping will help them to outline reports when they get older. 

Thank you so much! That's reassuring. We do New American Cursive but I forgot to mention it. I appreciate a little feedback now and then as most of my Homeschool peers are either just starting K or at CoOp where I seem to be in a monority when it comes to taking school seriously. I'm not a tiger mom but we try to make sure we cover the bases and work in plenty of enrichment as well.