Menu

Is it okay for me to discriminate?

MamaBearTeacher

I am looking for a therapist/respite worker to work with my special needs kids in my home. Someone sent me a message saying she is available to work. I need to confirm an interview time. I am hesitant because ... I don't like her picture. It is a picture of her with a pouty expression and her boyfriend kissing her on the cheek. It gives me a bad feeling when I look at it attached to a request for employment. I don't even feel like inviting her in my home for an interview. I would like a respite worker and I am having trouble finding one but sometimes if it's the wrong person it can be more trouble than it's worth. This person is not managing my taxes or mowing the lawn but working with my precious children. DH is pressuring me to ask her over anyways.

• Like 1

That is not even in the ballpark of discrimination. 

A pouty faced photo being kissed by a boyfriend is a BIG RED FLAG!  If she doesn't have the maturity to separate her professional life from her personal life, then she doesn't have the maturity to take care of your child, either. Also, I am not looking at the photo, but "pouty-faced" could be playfulness (if they were just clowning around) but it is also a manipulative technique used by people to get what they want. 

I say, "Just say no."  And feel zero guilt about saying no!

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 18

Where did she send you this message? Through an employment website? Through Facebook? Via email? If she sent you a FB message, then her profile picture will show, and it doesn't really matter. If she sent it through Linked In or similar, then that's not professional. I might send her a note back and tell her I find the picture unprofessional when she's seeking employment (if it's not her FB profile picture) and see what she says.

• Like 9

If she sent you a FB message, then her profile picture will show, and it doesn't really matter. 

Yes, yes it does. It demonstrates a great deal of immaturity if she doesn't realize that the photo leaves a negative impression with potential employers and others. After all, the purpose of a profile on any social media is to present yourself to the public. Photos are part of that profile. 

• Like 10

Where did she send you this message? Through an employment website? Through Facebook? Via email? If she sent you a FB message, then her profile picture will show, and it doesn't really matter. If she sent it through Linked In or similar, then that's not professional. I might send her a note back and tell her I find the picture unprofessional when she's seeking employment (if it's not her FB profile picture) and see what she says.

Even if it is via Facebook it is still unprofessional. If you are going to use Facebook as a form of work/employment communication than a profile picture needs to be professional. The entire profile should be professional since it will be the first impression a potential employer sees.

• Like 5

Yes, yes it does. It demonstrates a great deal of immaturity if she doesn't realize that the photo leaves a negative impression with potential employers and others. After all, the purpose of a profile on any social media is to present yourself to the public. Photos are part of that profile. 

Even if it is via Facebook it is still unprofessional. If you are going to use Facebook as a form of work/employment communication than a profile picture needs to be professional. The entire profile should be professional since it will be the first impression a potential employer sees.

Well, I disagree. If someone throws out an employment opportunity on their personal FB page, then it's a pretty relaxed interaction. My neighbor down the street asked for someone to weed his front flower beds. Should I have changed my profile picture (it's of a My Little Pony character) before responding that my kids would be interested?

I don't know how the OP handled this, so I am not speaking specifically to her, but if you want a professional response, advertise on a professional platform. If you're relying on FB for casual networking, expect a casual response.

• Like 11

To me it would depend on how you got the photo. If it is simply her Facebook profile pic, and your communication was via Facebook or messenger, not a big deal. If she sent it as an attachment, still possible she selected the wrong photo, but I'm the type to triple check that- not everyone is.

• Like 3

She contacted me through an employment web site for special needs workers and sent an email describing her experience and the picture was attached. The other people who have contacted me through this web site never had a picture. When I click on the picture it does not go to Facebook or anywhere. When I look at the picture I just don't feel like calling her. It's not a "professional" job. I don't want someone to come over dressed in a suit. I would like someone fun but ... I just felt not good looking at her picture, maybe like something was being imposed on me.

• Like 2

My brother discriminates all the time based on Facebook photos.  He runs an adventure camp for adults and is looking for people who aren't going to be drunk and partying every night after they get off work since they stay at the adventure camp all summer.  He won't even interview people whose Facebook is plastered with the very things he wants them to avoid when they're at his camp.  What is on Facebook is the persona they want to portray to the world.  So, yes, you can discriminate.  Especially when you're looking for someone to take care of vulnerable children.

• Like 8

She contacted me through an employment web site for special needs workers and sent an email describing her experience and the picture was attached. The other people who have contacted me through this web site never had a picture. When I click on the picture it does not go to Facebook or anywhere. When I look at the picture I just don't feel like calling her. It's not a "professional" job. I don't want someone to come over dressed in a suit. I would like someone fun but ... I just felt not good looking at her picture, maybe like something was being imposed on me.

in that case, I do think it's unprofessional, and if you feel uncomfortable, then you shouldn't feel like you have to interview her.

Were it me, I would interview her anyway. She my be a really fantastic person who didn't present herself well in this situation. Nobody is perfect.

• Like 2

Is it a gmail profile picture? DH has one attached to his that he has no idea how it got on there. He rarely uses gmail and doesn't for professional purposes, but he's an attorney, not a young person. :) 

I wouldn't assume the worst about her. Social media is a weird beast for those of us raised in another generation. Are you anxious about hiring someone anyway? I often create reasons why something won't work when I'm displacing my anxiety. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure taking silly photos makes anyone unqualified to work with children. Was this photo intentionally added to a formal resume or was it on a platform that automatically attaches your latest profile picture to whatever you send? Why not interview her or call her references?

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5

For good or ill, first impressions count ESPECIALLY when you're looking for a job. If the pictures gives you an uncomfortable feeling, you have every right to say "no thanks." You are looking for someone to help care for your special needs children. You do not owe some stranger the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 3

I agree that photo is unprofessional and indicates general lack of professionalism and seriousness about the job.  A job with kids needs to be taken seriously.

When my kids were babies, I was looking for a nanny.  I signed up for one of those nanny lists and all these people posted photos with their profiles.  Some of the photos were ridiculous.  Like half lying on the bed in what I consider suggestive clothes / position.  Either these people are not actually interested in working with children, or they are idiots.  No thanks.

• Like 1

These kind of thoughts went through my mind but ... She did not look that young. If she was 20 .... But she has more than 7 years experience and she looks 35 to me. DH thought she looked younger. if she had a picture of My Little Pony or was dressed as a clown it would not have given me a bad feeling.

Is it a gmail profile picture? DH has one attached to his that he has no idea how it got on there. He rarely uses gmail and doesn't for professional purposes, but he's an attorney, not a young person. :)

I wouldn't assume the worst about her. Social media is a weird beast for those of us raised in another generation. Are you anxious about hiring someone anyway? I often create reasons why something won't work when I'm displacing my anxiety.

• Like 2

These kind of thoughts went through my mind but ... She did not look that young. If she was 20 .... But she has more than 7 years experience and she looks 35 to me. DH thought she looked younger. if she had a picture of My Little Pony or was dressed as a clown it would not have given me a bad feeling.

Really? So what is it about this picture that you have such an issue with? It doesn't sound especially offensive. I mean, it's not like she was lying naked on a beach smoking a crack pipe or something. ;) 

• Like 7

Is it a gmail profile picture? DH has one attached to his that he has no idea how it got on there. 

We're on msn and had a really random one attached to ours, a black horse and a white horse standing together.

I didn't even know it showed up anywhere until a friend asked me if I was trying to say I supported interracial marriage.

I would interview her but mention the picture. 

Well, I disagree. If someone throws out an employment opportunity on their personal FB page, then it's a pretty relaxed interaction. My neighbor down the street asked for someone to weed his front flower beds. Should I have changed my profile picture (it's of a My Little Pony character) before responding that my kids would be interested?

I don't know how the OP handled this, so I am not speaking specifically to her, but if you want a professional response, advertise on a professional platform. If you're relying on FB for casual networking, expect a casual response.

I tend to agree with this.  Iwould not want to see certain kinds of photos even on a FB page for someone I was hiring, but I would not think anything about just regular casual photos.  If I am contacting someone on FB I expect to see regular personal photos.  Pictures of drunken table-singing would be a different story.

Although, if "pouty lips" means duck lips, I would probably be turned off by that unless it was obviously just meant to be silly. 

But she has more than 7 years experience and she looks 35 to me. DH thought she looked younger. if she had a picture of My Little Pony or was dressed as a clown it would not have given me a bad feeling.

Clowns are icky. Just sayin'. 

If she has 7 years experience, she may very well be a good choice for you. Again, you are under no obligation to interview anyone you don't want to, but it sounds like you are willing to pass by a potentially good employee because of a difference in stylistic preference for photos. MLP and clowns are no more professional than the picture this person (may have unintentionally) used.

• Like 4

Clowns are icky. Just sayin'.

If she has 7 years experience, she may very well be a good choice for you. Again, you are under no obligation to interview anyone you don't want to, but it sounds like you are willing to pass by a potentially good employee because of a difference in stylistic preference for photos. MLP and clowns are no more professional than the picture this person (may have unintentionally) used.

Yeah, clowns would get a pass from me! :rofl:

Really? So what is it about this picture that you have such an issue with? It doesn't sound especially offensive. I mean, it's not like she was lying naked on a beach smoking a crack pipe or something. ;)

I am not the OP, but if it were me it would be the pouty face.  A pouty face is only cute on someone else's child and even then only when they are under 5.    On an adult it is ridiculous.  Then to make that your profile photo?   Nope.  

• Like 1

No, but it means at best she is not conscientious, and at worst, lacks judgement.  

I think it is unprofessional, but I'm also not willing to completely dismiss someone over a photo like that. If I were hiring someone to care for my children, I would be most concerned with how well they worked with my children and whether they were a kind, loving, warm, compassionate, and reliable person and less concerned with whether they had a sober-looking photo (and by sober I mean staid, not non-inebriated).

I'm not really a one-issue kind of voter, iykwim.

• Like 3

"People with poor professional judgment" are not a protected class.  

Exactly. It sounds, from the OP's description, that the photo was not sent by accident. While it's possible the OP could be missing out on a great employee by rejecting the applicant out of hand because of the photo, I think it's much more likely the applicant is going to miss out on job opportunities because of it. A photo sent with a resume communicates something. I don't know what the applicant is trying to communicate about her suitability for the job, but that photo doesn't--in my opinion--suggest maturity, good judgment, or even "I'm great with kids."

• Like 2

A photo attached to a job application email that contains another person in a private setting is unprofessional - even without pouty lips etc.

In any company, a job application accompanied by an unprofessional photo would be tossed and the person would not be invited to interview.

This is not discrimination. It is identifying that the candidate does not have suitable judgment or does not take the opportunity seriously.

It is up to you whether you want to overlook this and give her a chance to interview. 

Seriously, what kind of person thinks a photo of her being kissed by a boyfriend is appropriate to attach to a job application ???

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

Maybe she's trying to show you that she's personable and easy going / laid back. Which is not the worst thing for a respite worker. Better than someone who's extremely uptight / micromanaging (well, at least in my books.)

What if you really like her in person? I'd still interview.

I'm another who wouldn't be turned off by that being her avatar for her email. Honestly, a cute significant other and me photo isn't that big a deal. They weren't making out, they were just being silly and lovely. Sending it to you as a photo attachment is a little odd. But I really don't think that's what happened. It sounds like this is just the avatar, which can pop up on the side, depending on your email.

Of course, you can still choose not to hire her or contact. Obviously up to you.

• Like 1

Her experience did not impress me. I was only mentioning it to explain that she was not very young and still posting the picture. The people on this site are prescreened and all have experience. Some of them have been weirdos (not in the vampire teeth sense) but the interview experience was unpleasant. Others have been great. Fun is a good quality but my boys tend to do best with people who are quiet and conscientious. Good judgement is extremely important when working with my kids.

• Like 1

Sounds like it's her gmail avatar. 

You need to decide how much it bothers you. The woman who provides occasional care/supervision for my 15 year old with intellectual disabilities is 24. She has multiple tattoos. She has gauges in her ears. She has not specialized training or post secondary ed. She is really good with my ds. They do things at my house and she takes him around town so he gets out. If I had not known her and just had to pick someone out of pile of resumes and pictures and I saw her picture I probably would not have chosen her. 

I would reject anyone who had an avatar that advocated drug use. I'm not sure I'd reject someone for just a stupid pose with their boyfriend. 

If she is dumb enough to not think through the consequences of a photo like that attached to her message, she might be trying to sell her sexy pout to your DH, OR she might be dumb enough to invite boyfriend over while she's with your children. This is not the sort of person you want in your life.  Don't invite trouble, especially not when you're trying to alleviate it.

• Like 1

I did have a few people I liked with tattoos. I realize it is a generational thing. She did not have visible tattoos and was conservative and average-looking otherwise. It was more of an obnoxious look in her eyes maybe. The interview process is a bit hard on my kids when the person doesn't end up working with us. That is why I am not giving her a chance. it might be different if this was for a job in an office or something.

• Like 1

I have to ask this...

does she have fangs and red eyes?

What about elf ears?

:)

Hey!  People with fangs, red eyes and elf ears might be a little confused about their species, but they can be excellent employees! (Just ask their mothers)

What is the context in which you saw this picture? I'm a special ed teacher, and I can't really imagine sending a photo of any kind with a request for a job.  I'd send a resume and a cover letter, both of which don't include pictures.