Menu

WIR & RIR.. talk to me about them please

kolamum

I'm shaking things up for my youngest student this year. He's in a learning slump & my objective is to present him with lots of fun material mixed with things he must do. I went with the Timberdoodle kit for his grade level, but I'm not sold on the writing. He's done WWE & benefited well from it, but his age/grade I'd say he's behind. It's not a surprise as my child was diagnosed only last year with Visual Processing Disorder which made doing a few things, like writing hard for him.

The writing book that came with the kit was very very inexpensive & I'd never heard of it so i figured nothing lost if I didn't like it. I'm not saying I don't like it as I'm completely unsure of it. It just doesn't seem meaty & all most seems below him which is an interesting thought. I don't want to waste a year though either, kwim?

So I decided to finally take a good look at WIR & I'm quite impressed with what I'm seeing, hearing, & reading {sample}. I think the incremental approach all laid out will be something that he will respond well too. I've snagged the Module 1 Download to have a hard look before placing an international order.

What about RIR? Anyone using it? I see it's not in stock yet for CBD, but it's on sale & available through Apologia directly if I was so inclined. My boy is also a slow reader, part of the VPD. Reading was such a struggle for him prior to the glasses {all though he managed it well} that he's completely turned off reading. It's taken a lot of effort to get him to read anything to be quite honest. I purchased him a WWI book for Christmas which he was smitten with, I mean WWI & Animals, he was in love. I had him read Henry & Ribsy last & while he endured it he claims he didn't enjoy it. When I plagued him for more information his response was, "The story was fine, but it seemed very simple." That made sense & was a fair response, but this is the issue I have with him quite a lot.

Truth be told we've had to give him easier books to let him reinforce skills he learned prior to getting his filters, but also because we needed to allow his brain some room to heal. This means the books we're offering him are on his level for reading, but maturity wise are below him. See my struggle?

So I'm now looking at RIR & wondering if it will be a good fit for him. If I see correctly it looks like Sarah Plain & TallCharlotte's Web, & Winn Dixie are the books in Volume 1, is that right? Am I missing any others? Would you use this with a child who's not keen on reading? I don't want to continue to make reading a chore for him by any means, will that happen with this? Is using RIR & WIR too much? How much time do these curriculums take per day?

I noticed on the FB page that RIR isn't going to have a new release next year so that's something to consider as well.. Ho-hum. Opinions?