Menu

Where to shop for a bra to fit this teen?

Pegasus

DD16 has used Champion sports bras for the last couple of years and has recently asked to shop for a few regular bras without the racer back.  We took a couple quick measurements and hit a near-by store.  The smallest band size the store carried was too large and the largest cup size offered in that band size was too small. 

So, where would you shop for a teen with measurements of 29" around the chest and 35" around the bust.

I'd order them custom or alter the band of a sister size. I can attest to the great quality from here and they're doing 24 inch underbust on up, with a huge range of cups. Can't recommend Ewa highly enough. My caution is to carefully follow the measuring instructions video to a T and expect a very firm band that may take a few days to get used to.

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_BRAS_ALL-189.html

Your daughter may want to start searching with a 70 or 75D and see what is offered, as it sounds like her size may be in that ballpark if off the shelf bras aren't fitting properly, but again the sizing videos will help immensely. There are just so many styles it's good to narrow down a bit so you aren't totally overwhelmed, as some bras don't come in certain sizes because of the cup style and engineering needs of a bigger bust over a smaller one.

Edited by Arctic Mama

You could try Aerie.com. They are more geared toward teen girls.

Yes.  American Eagle (whose intimate line is Aerie) is the only place I can get pants to fit my very tall, very slim son (size 28X34).  I would expect them to have bras to fit slender girls.  

Another option is to take her to Nordstrom or another shop that will do a professional fitting.  Knowing her size will make shopping a whole lot easier.  If they have a bra that fits, and dd likes it, buy one.  Then, go home and find the same thing online and buy a couple more.

• Like 2

Victoria's Secret.

Soma

Is she looking for a sport bra or regular everyday bra?

And be prepared to spend more money than you can imagine.

At least my girls balance each other out, when I can find 38A in little girls bras they are under $10, and the 32DDD/34DD can cost $60+ for a good sports bra.

• Like 1

Jumping in to ask a ques... does AE sell their full range of bra sizes in store? Or do you have to shop online? I noticed recently they were one of the few places that carry the size I think I need.

I've been fitted in retail stores before with different results (not the same week but didn't think I'd really changed. Just was not convinced the first fitting was proper). So I guess I don't have a whole lot of faith in dept. store fittings but who knows, maybe you will get someone that really knows what they are doing.

All retail stores are not created equal. Victoria's Secret, et al. have some of the worst, most poorly trained fitters. If there's a Nordstrom or niche, specialty lingerie shop nearby (a dying breed) go there for a fitting THEN shop online. I was in Italy a couple weeks ago and popped into a shop there. The sales lady said tge same thing. Different brands fit differently so you need to try them on. You will almost always find the best price online and not necessarily more $$$ than Aerie or Soma. You'll end up with better quality, fit and style.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Wow. Thanks for the all the tips and resources. Still sounds like significant work. It really shouldn't be this difficult.  Not even sure we have a Nordstrom but I'll check.  Otherwise, I'll research the suggested websites to get a good set of home measurements and look for a good return policy for online ordering.

DD is wanting a few regular bras, not sports bras.  She's been happy enough with the inexpensive Champion brand for sports bras.

• Like 1

Before trying to get a perfect fit from a specialty shop, I'd try having her put on a few 32B soft-cup style bras from ordinary brands. They might be perfectly adequate for everyday wear, providing support and coverage without needing to perfectly 'cup' things.

Have you tried Victoria's Secret? I know some posters have had bad luck there, but my dd had a wonderful fitter there and they carry unusual sizes that we couldn't find in department stores. She is thin but busty too. It may not work for you, but it might be an easier place to start than specialty stores since she could try on different sizes. I am not sure how low the band sizes go but the cup sizes go pretty large, even in smaller band sizes ( like you can get 32dd).

Jumping in to ask a ques... does AE sell their full range of bra sizes in store? Or do you have to shop online? I noticed recently they were one of the few places that carry the size I think I need.

I've been fitted in retail stores before with different results (not the same week but didn't think I'd really changed. Just was not convinced the first fitting was proper). So I guess I don't have a whole lot of faith in dept. store fittings but who knows, maybe you will get someone that really knows what they are doing.

I don't think Aerie carries their full range in the store. I know there have been times when I could only find it online. Also I get a little overwhelmed in there with so many options. Much easier to sit at home and fill a basket. :)

If this young lady is a 29" band and 35" bust, a DD is not going to cut it. Most mainline stores only go up to DD or DDD which is too small of a cup. Then again, most women are wearing the wrong darn bra size...grumble. If you go down in band size to a 28 to get a snug fit (bras should be tried on at the loosest (furthest hook) setting because they will stretch and then you can tighten them) you need to go up in cup size. This link is a good guide.http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing/shopping-guide/how-to-measure-bra-size/calculate-your-cup-size

If you don't have a fitter near you, try finding a wacoal 28G and 30/DDD/F for cheap on Amazon to see how they fit. These aren't stylish but super well-made and great for fitting. It's a good place to start.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I get soooo sick of seeing uniboob, side boob and muffin top cleavage...grumble... You can fit a bra yourself. As a big-bosomed gal, this is something that has real impact, my shoulders and back ache in ill-fitted bras.

The center support/midline, with or without underwire, should touch the chest/breastbone. There should be no excess tissue escaping the top or sides of the bra and the band should be snug enough to place very little strain on the shoulders/straps...grumble...lean down, give a shimmy. Lift the breast tissue and pull in from the armpits to make sure it all fits within the cup. If it doesn't, you have the wrong size. By the same token, if the cups bag or sag go down a cup size. Bunching is no good too.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

One of my girls is 5-1, 105lbs and wears a 28H. Her room and figleaves have been a lifesaver. Also, if you know a certain brand and size works for her you can have good luck on Amazon too. We've had really good luck with Freya and Cleo by panache. We've had zero luck with Nordstrom, Victoria's, aerie, soma or any local specialty bra store as no one carries a 28 band size. Don't get sucked into trying to make 32s fit.

• Like 1

Don't buy bras for large cup sizes at Victoria's secret.  It'll cost almost as much as the ones from the department store, but the underwire will pop in the first or second wearing. Go to a good quality department store, or someplace like herroom.

• Like 2

I agree with Katy to avoid Victoria Secrets if you are busty.  

Bra sizing is so backward.   Bras should be sized based on the band size and then volume of the cup.  Looking at the number/letter combination of bras you would think that is so.   But, noooooooooooo.    Everything is based on the biggest measurement around assuming you are wearing the bra.  And that measurement changes based on the style of bra and your squishiness.  I think this is why everyone is walking around in the wrong bra size.  They try on a 34C and the cup is a little small, but the band is right.  So they try on a 34D and figure that is as good as it will get and buy it.  But the band on the 34D isn't the same.   

• Like 1

We went to an expensive department store (Von Maur) and I was very happy with their fitting. The fitter took her time, had her try on several and found 2 really nice ones. They were expensive, but I was so frustrated with previous experiences that I didn't care. When it was time for the next cup size up, I ordered the exact same one from Amazon. It was a Wacoal. Not any cheaper than the department store, but was happy to not have to go shopping all over again. She is a 34DDD, but now likely an E. 

Although we weren't happy at all with VS for regular bras, the sports bras there have been amazing. For the first time in years, they stay in place for dance, the only sports bra that has truly worked for her. Keep this in mind when you need a new sports bra! 

• Like 1