Menu

Transferring to Public School- Texas

Has anyone ever had a problem transferring a child back into public school in Texas? I have a 8th grader who might be held back since we didn't use "TEA Approved" materials. The Texas homeschool law specifically states the TEA doesn't approve or regulate homeschool programs. I've never had this problem before or heard of anyone else who had.

I was told by two different school districts that at least in elementary school, if I wanted to transfer the kids back in they would either be put into an age-appropriate level or they would have to take a placement test depending the principal's preferences.

Neither school district really cared what materials we used, and were not interested in seeing the completed work or a portfolio.

We are in the Plano/Frisco school districts, and both were quite comfortable with the idea of children being pulled out for homeschooling for a few years and then being readmitted to public school.

You might try putting him in a private school for one year and then transferring over to public school.

Edited by nannyaunt

Has anyone ever had a problem transferring a child back into public school in Texas? I have a 8th grader who might be held back since we didn't use "TEA Approved" materials. The Texas homeschool law specifically states the TEA doesn't approve or regulate homeschool programs. I've never had this problem before or heard of anyone else who had.

Generally, there are no problems if the dc transfer below high school, but there are always exceptions. :cursing:

AFAIK, there are no requirements for *any* private school to use "TEA-approved" materials. That would include homeschoolers.

One of the things I recommend to people who plan to enroll their dc in public or private schools is to have their dc tested with a standardized test before approaching the school, even in states where testing is not required. I don't guess you did that?

You might want to print this letter from TEA and give it to someone at the school. It says, in part, "Additionally, it has been brought to my attention that there may be some confusion with respect to the awarding of transfer credit from students who have been home schooled. Under 19 T.A.C. Section 74.26(a)(2), students  transferring from home schools should be afforded the same treatment as students transferring from unaccredited private schools. Awarding of credit for courses taken may be determined by reviewing the curriculum and/or work of the student, or by using appropriate assessments."

• Like 1

Thank you guys, y'all pretty much confirmed what I knew already but it's helped put my mind at ease. We didn't do a standardized test only because this child has severe testing anxiety. I plan on calling the school back in the morning to talk further as they caught me off guard and I didn't have anything prepared. This is in the Dallas area, I've also never had anyone interested in anything we used or our portfolio (which the student has to show what we did). For further clarification this is a student I tutored full time this past year, not my child.

As others have pointed out, if a student is going to do this, in Texas or another state, it should be done before starting 9th grade.  the student may need to take any STARR EOC exams that are required for that grade level, to get placed at appropriate grade level.  If the student has a problem with testing, that could be problematic.  Sample tests are available to download from the TEA web site. It might be better for the parent to make an appointment with a Counselor and visit with him/her (and the student) in person.  That may work out better than trying to do this over the phone.

Slightly OT, but my current 8th grader is taking 2 high school level courses: Algebra I and Spanish I. Before starting this year, I contacted the high school to ask how to ease the awarding of credit. They suggested taking the online distance learning classes at Texas Tech University ISD.  They will accept that credit/grade earned as a transfer. My son still needs to take the STAAR test in the spring for Algebra I and that will be arranged through the high school as well. YMMV.  

A friend of my pulled her girl out as a sophomore to homeschool. When she returned the next year, NO credit was awarded and she needed to repeat the entire year again. She graduated on time by taking exams and accelerated classes, but earned a minimal, non-college prep, diploma.  Texas is rough on homeschoolers in high school. 

• Like 1

A friend of my pulled her girl out as a sophomore to homeschool. When she returned the next year, NO credit was awarded and she needed to repeat the entire year again. She graduated on time by taking exams and accelerated classes, but earned a minimal, non-college prep, diploma.  Texas is rough on homeschoolers in high school. 

This is pretty common in other states, as well.

OP these may be ominous words for this student: "because this child has severe testing anxiety."

Texas reduced the number of EOC (End of Course) examinations required, to qualify for a Public High School Diploma, from 15 to 5. That means 5 EOC exams *must* be passed, Three (3) of the five (5) exams are for 9th grade courses: Algebra 1, Biology 1 and English 1.  in addition to the normal testing (End of Semester exams, etc.) done in each course, the EOC exams must be passed or the student does not graduate.  You may need to take this slowly and understand the implications for this particular student.  It might be that continuing as a Home School student, or, enrolling as a Distance Learning student in one of many schools, might be a less stressful situation for this student.