Menu

What do you think about this?

Night Elf

My MIL lives in another state. She called me to ask if my ds had called her. Apparently some male called and said Hi Grandma and when she asked who it was he said 'your oldest grandson' and then my ds's name. Then he hung up. It was definitely not my son. She said the name on the phone said unavailable but she didn't say if she saw a phone number. I'm assuming not, but DH is going to call her tonight and ask her. My son has not lost his phone, and even if he did, he doesn't have her number. The only thing I can think of is someone in her family was messing around, but they don't seem to be that kind of family. And to be honest, I don't even think they all know my son's name. We don't see anyone on our visits but DH's brothers and his mom's sisters.

What would you make of that?

I know its a common scam to call an older person and pretend to be some relative -- but they do not usually mention a name until they trick the person into saying the name they are expecting!  They do it to beg for money, try to get them to Western Union-type of sending money to them directly.

ETA link: http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-18156-205169--,00.html

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 4

My mom, who is usually very capable, got a phone call from a woman who was crying.  She asked "Daria, Daria is that you?" and the person said "Yes", and told her that she (pretending to be me) had gone to a concert in Canada, gotten a little drunk, and was arrested.  My mom replied "What about DS" and "I" said "We were together, but now I don't know where he is", and asked for bail money.  

My mom actually sent the money, a significant sum.  She suspected a scam, but was so upset by the possibility of her beloved grandchild in Canadian foster care that she went to the grocery store and sent the money "I" needed for bail.

I was amazed that the scam worked.  My mom lived for years in Canada, so you'd think she'd realize it's a relatively decent place to be in jail or foster care.   Not to mention the fact that I have never in my life drunk more than communion wine, or left the country without telling my mom.  The scammer must have been very convincing.

My guess is that he said "It's your oldest grandson" and she said "Oh, Johnny" or something, and he took it from there.  Good for your MIL to follow up and not get taken.

• Like 1

I know it's a scam, and I think crank calling is not what the kids are doing these days haha but my first thought is it's just some asinine kids wasting time.

My friend and I used to call people in the phone-book and invite them to church potlucks that we made up. Real wild stuff.

Edited by OKBud

Scam.  An aunt in Canada got a call from our "son" saying that he was in trouble and needed money.  She didn't think it was really him, but gave him an earful of advice on how to get his life in order (and no money).  Then for good measure she called our son directly and gave him an earful with the same advice even though he told her that it wasn't him!  (We laugh because this is so like this aunt and we tried to imagine the scammers face while he got an earful.)

• Like 8

She didn't think it was really him, but gave him an earful of advice on how to get his life in order (and no money).  Then for good measure she called our son directly and gave him an earful with the same advice even though he told her that it wasn't him!  

:lol:  :lol: That is totally what would happen in my family...

• Like 1

My dad got a call from a distressed young man needing bail money, calling him 'uncle first name'. The young man appropriated the name my dad instinctively provided (for a nephew most likely to be in trouble) -- because most people will take a guess is a caller is "too upset" to identify himself.

It's a very common scam.

Well, this guy did use my son's name. It wasn't MIL who said it first. That's what I find so creepy. And once he said it, he hung up. He didn't engage her in any conversation after that.

I'll call her back today and warn her if she gets anymore calls like that, especially asking for money, to hang up.

Thanks.

When my FIL got this call he was not the first to say my son's name. He is not a vulnerable confused older person. He smelled scam right away and did not give any info. But with the internet and social media and everything it cannot be that hard to find out actual names. So, it is possible the scammer did have the correct name.

Weird. And always amazing the lengths scammers will go to.

• Like 3

My uncle almost fell for that one.  He got a call saying it was the Paris Police department and his granddaughter was in jail due to something and in order for her to get back to the States, he would need to send money.  Thankfully he called his daughter and found out his granddaughter was safe and sound, in the US, at home!