Menu

FYI, Mylan to launch generic version of EpiPen

wapiti

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/29/investing/generic-epipen-mylan-discount/

The surprise move is the latest attempt by Mylan to silence the uproar ignited by a more than 400% increase in EpiPen prices. The launch comes ahead of looming competition from Teva Pharmaceuticals (TEVA), which is hoping to launch a generic EpiPen of its own as early as next year, pending FDA approval.

Mylan said it plans to launch the generic version in "several weeks" at a cost of $300 per two-pack carton, compared with $608 for the branded EpiPen.

Mylan didn't specify what discounts -- if any -- it is offering on this $300 generic price. It's also not clear why consumers would buy the more expensive branded EpiPen if, as Mylan describes it, it's exactly the same as the generic.

Maybe this is what is behind the original increase--making the branded version ridiculously expensive so that when the still ridiculously priced generic version is launched people will think they are getting a good deal?

May also be an insurance ploy--insurance benefits for generics are often better than for branded drugs, so if they can price the generic high they can milk insurance companies for more?

Still preposterous.

• Like 4

IMO, from a business point of view, the recent price increase was gross overreach, a huge PR mistake.  The introduction of the generic is one way to salvage the PR situation.  They will still make quite a tidy profit, of course.  That was the price for the brand-name just a few years ago - they could have left it there with little more than the usual patient grumbling.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with price when generic competitors can really get their versions off the ground.  Let's hope the FDA is...efficient and fair.

• Like 3

I hope this spurs Congress and others to address the ridiculousness that does not allow Medicare and Medicaid to negotiate drug prices like every other country's national health plan does.  IMHO, there is absolutely no reason why US consumers should pay more than those in Western Europe or Canada.  They are not recouping drug development/research costs with this meds.  $300 is still $200 too much.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 7

Mylan has made Epipen so synonymous with "epinephrine auto-injector" that there are allergists who won't prescribe the generic, citing familiarity with and ease of use of the Epipen. My daughter's allergist won't prescribe the generic, so we ordered her Epipens from a Canadian pharmacy. 

• Like 1

Anyone want to take on the price of asthma or ADD meds or biologics next? All of those are crazy expensive for being as old as they are. Budesonide/Pulmicort has been out since the early 1980s.  It's $7 in the rest of the world, and $200ish here.

Yeh, no kidding.  DS's monthly maintenance meds, OOP:  $550.  

Add in epipens and rescue inhalers to be kept on hand, and it is insane.

There is something so very wrong here.

I shudder to think of not having insurance.

I remember back when I was in high school, offering to go get my grandma's medications at the pharmacy.  I paid for them (it was not a lot...and something I could afford via my babysitting/Fast Food jobs), but she was so grateful.  It was really eye opening to me just how tight her budget was living on just social security.  She worked hard all of her life, starting at 16, too, when she graduated from high school.  (Around WWI)

Someone mentioned in another thread that many schools will only accept Epi Pen. If so, will the schools accept this new generic, or will people still be stuck buying the name brand?

Do they mean the brand specific or an auto injector vs syringe and bottle? I can't fathom a school being able to specify brand!

Here is a surprise (to me):

We picked up epipens yesterday, and got the first time ever - they gave us generic. It's not Mylan brand, it's from Adrenaclick.

Our ins covers 100%, with no copay, once we hit our deductible, so I have no idea how much it cost. The packaging doesn't say.

It looks fine, slightly different, a bit more fussy and I'm worried that in a pinch, the people with DS might not know how to use it, but I have to hope people will keep their heads and look at the directions, since it's not as familiar as an epipen.

Here's the major drawback: it's glass. 😱 That doesn't bode well for riding around on the waist of a very active, rough and tumble boy. It's in a case, but how protective it will be - no idea.

All in all, I'm happy that the ins co stuck it to Mylan. :)

ETA: I was wrong. It's not glass! Whew.

Edited by Spryte