Menu

Hive shopper, what size pants would you guess for this boy

wapiti

Ds13 has grown maybe 4-5 inches since he last wore pants in the spring.  He hates to shop so I'll probably pick up some things and then return what doesn't work.  When I measured him the other day, he was 5'6".  He's pretty thin but muscular.  He needs some athletic-type pants (probably from Target, maybe Champion brand) and khakis (Target or Old Navy).  He won't wear pants for another month - LOL maybe I should wait a few more weeks.  Anyway, where do I start - boys XL or something in the men's department?  I already started buying medium shirts for him in mens but I'm not sure the pants would be small enough.

Thanks, ladies!  I should have thought about those measurements.  The mens department is sort of foreign, as is this whole rapid-growth thing.  (His twin brother sometimes squeezes into kids medium shirts that he's had for years - he's headed to an endocrinologist for a growth eval.)  Is it weird that a deep voice says "mommy?! mommy!!!"

My son is 28x32 and wears smalls out of target mens.  I haven't noticed they run small at all, but DS is skinny as a rail.  It does depend more on waist than height.  He does have some boys athletic pants that still work for him. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

Thanks, ladies!  I should have thought about those measurements.  The mens department is sort of foreign, as is this whole rapid-growth thing.  (His twin brother sometimes squeezes into kids medium shirts that he's had for years - he's headed to an endocrinologist for a growth eval.)  Is it weird that a deep voice says "mommy?! mommy!!!"

When ds voice got deeper he was in the living room talking to his brother.  I came running in to see what "man" was at the house.

On the same note ds sounds a lot like his dad.  When MIL called one time she thought it was dh she was talking to.  Kept asking questions finally ds said "uh Granny you do know this is _______?". She said "No, well let me talk to your dad".

• Like 1

Measure inseam for sure! My 5'1" 11 year old son has a pretty large inseam where he can fit length wise into a men's small at old navy. Apparently the gene pool around here states the legs must grow first before the torso. And yes, if my 11 year old tucks in his shirt, it looks really odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My 14 year old DS is 5'7" or 5'8" and weighs about 115 pounds.   He has a 25 inch waist and a 32 inch inseam, which is extremely hard to find.   But here is where I would start in your case:

My guess for a "skinny" boy 5'6" tall is that his waist is 26-28 inches, and his inseam is 30-31 inches.

- Old Navy boys' size 18 khakis may work for the short term, and have elastic in the waist.   Those are the khaki's my DS is currently wearing, but if he grows another 1/2 inch they'll be too short.

- JCPenney sells Arizona Jean brand men's pants, which come in waist sizes as small as 26 inches and inseams as long as 36 inches.   I have found 26-inch waist shorts in the store, but for pants with a waist that small, I think you'd have to order online.   But you can get lots of styles of jeans and khakis with a 26-inch waist if that's what you need.

- The smallest size jeans or pants you'll find in most places like Target, Old Navy, Kohls, etc. has a 28-inch waist.  He'd have to try on different styles, but some "slim fit" 28's are OK on my DS if he wears a belt (but belts are also difficult to find on such a skinny waist too).   

-Athletic pants are pretty easy - I would start with an inexpensive brand like Champion at Target in a men's size small.   Check the length and get whatever fits him best in length, because many (if not all) have elastic and/or drawstrings in the waist so you can make it fit even a skinny boy.

• Like 2