Menu

A decorating question or two...

StaceyinLA

I have ZERO knack for decorating. An old friend of my dad's recently gave me a sofa that belonged to my parents before I was born and when I was a toddler (this thing is over 50 years old for sure). The friend had it recovered in a burnt orange "leather" a LONG time ago. The couch is really cool and retro looking and I'd love to incorporate it in my house somehow.

How would you incorporate a burnt orange retro-looking couch in a semi-rustic, casual setting?

We are about to remodel bathrooms and repaint the entire house. My den will be a light, gray-blue color, I'll have creamy kitchen cabinets (kitchen/den are open) with some distressing on the edges. My beams are stained on the darker side (not espresso dark, but not light). I'm thinking having the darker orange with the light blue, dark Browns and creams might look okay but I have no real eye for this crap and don't know if I can make it go with my other, more rustic items in my house.

Help!

I googled " burnt orange sofa" images. There are a number of them with light blue-gray walls. It looks pretty good to me. I think the trick will be to get a shade that complements the sofa's tone. You might want to find an area rug, throw pillow, or some other item that has burnt orange and blue-gray accents and use it as a color guide.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 1

If you really don't trust yourself, and don't have a friend with a good eye, you could look for a decorator who works/charges by the hour to help you.  I have never used one, but I know people who have.  Instead of working for furniture companies (and thus earning money by getting you to buy stuff), they work for you and help you decorate with what you have (or make minimal purchases).   I'm sure the fees vary widely.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I was more concerned with the styles than colors because they are so different, but y'all have given me some good ideas. I'll google and Pinterest some and see what I come up with.

You could post a photo so that we can see the actual style of the sofa. Do you want to keep your current furniture as well? Then a photo of those pieces would help as well. 

If you peruse the fabric store, you should find a fabric you like with this color scheme. The professionals do that so you don't have too. Once you have a fabric you like you can keep your colors in that family. You can use it for curtains, a throw pillow, or a tablecloth, or just for inspiration.