Menu

Science Matters vs Integrated Approach textbook

For 7th, we are doing a lot of different things for science, including reading Science Matters. I am wondering if it will work to do that this year and then use Integrated Approach textbook by the same authors in 8th.

We have never used a standard science textbook and I really don't want to yet, but I will be ready to move that direction in 8th. I am a former scientist and DH loves the sciences I do not so science has just been a very integrated part of our life and homeschool. We just approach science very differently than a typical sequence so far.

I think I'd like to do an integrated course before high school, but wanted to do a sanity check that doing the trade book before the textbook is reasonable.

• Like 2

I really have no interest in a textbook this year. We are doing a lot of other science. I wanted another overview a step up from Dr. Art. I was waiting for the updated 2016 textbook to compare but I think I will stick with this. I really just needed to type it out and think through it.

Wow, I just hadn't realized that until now. Sorry for wasting your time! I also specifically said I didn't want to use a textbook this year.

Sometimes people say things that they haven't considered from all angles.  I was just giving a suggestion based on my knowledge of the books involved and the age of your child.  Using the text over two years would give you more time to do and read other things while still using the text as a spine.  If you do the whole thing over one year, there will be less time for those things.  I apologize if my suggestion was offensive in some way.

Also, "using" a textbook can mean many things.  It can mean slavishly going through every word and question or it can mean taking the parts that work for you and discarding the rest (which is what I do, so I don't actually understand the antipathy toward the entire textbook genre--some are good and some are bad and most are mediocre, and I just use the parts I like of the ones I like).

Best of luck to you as you make your plans.

Edited by EKS

Sometimes people say things that they haven't considered from all angles.  I was just giving a suggestion based on my knowledge of the books involved and the age of your child.  Using the text over two years would give you more time to do and read other things while still using the text as a spine.  If you do the whole thing over one year, there will be less time for those things.  I apologize if my suggestion was offensive in some way.

Also, "using" a textbook can mean many things.  It can mean slavishly going through every word and question or it can mean taking the parts that work for you and discarding the rest (which is what I do, so I don't actually understand the antipathy toward the entire textbook genre--some are good and some are bad and most are mediocre, and I just use the parts I like of the ones I like).

Best of luck to you as you make your plans.

I certainly never said I had an antipathy towards the entire textbook genre. I simply stated that I have no desire to use them for 7th grade science. 

Have a great day!

I certainly never said I had an antipathy towards the entire textbook genre. I simply stated that I have no desire to use them for 7th grade science. 

Have a great day!

I didn't mean *your* antipathy--I meant it in a global sense, as I see it a lot on here.