Menu

Yet another dog vent...

mellifera33

I am trying to do some yard work. The trouble is, the neighbor's dog is outside, not enclosed, and our fence won't keep him out of our yard (retaining wall--about 4.5 feet high on our side, 1.5 feet on his side.) I wouldn't worry, except he is a big powerful dog with a history of biting. I don't have the neighbor's phone number, and I'm afraid that I will be bitten if I go into their yard to knock on their door to let them know the dog is out. Do you think if I throw a bag of treats at him he'll let me knock on the door? 

I don't see how you can call anyone if he is presently in their yard.  The moment he steps out of their yard I would call animal control. 

I would seriously consider fencing your yard better.  Either a taller fence on top of the retaining wall or even a fence in addition to the retaining wall.  Obviously I don't know the logistics of that since I don't know what your existing situation looks like, but I would do research on it and would make it a priority. 

• Like 2

Thank you for listening, and for the advice. I ended up walking out calmly, throwing a handful of treats over the fence, and going around the corner of the garage to where I needed to work, hoping that he would forget about me after I was out of sight. It worked! I am going to talk to the neighbors next time I see them outside. I'll frame it as an I'm concerned about what might happen if doggy decides to wander and gets picked up, since he's already on the city's radar...I don't think that they are intentionally letting him out, but he figures out ways to escape. 

It would be really awkward to fence that area, and we don't plan on living here much longer. We actually just installed fencing in the areas that weren't fenced, but our priority was keeping our dog in, not keeping other things out. Our neighbors are reasonable, and I think that they will be more careful if I talk to them. They're not the type to flaunt their "tough" dog, I think they just have a blind spot toward him because they see him as a big teddy bear who made a mistake when someone was bothering him. 

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 2

I don't see how you can call anyone if he is presently in their yard. The moment he steps out of their yard I would call animal control.

I would seriously consider fencing your yard better. Either a taller fence on top of the retaining wall or even a fence in addition to the retaining wall. Obviously I don't know the logistics of that since I don't know what your existing situation looks like, but I would do research on it and would make it a priority.

In my neighborhood leash laws prohibit unleashed dogs , even on your own property, unless they are fenced in (including 'invisible fencing'). Which is only logical, I think.