Menu

How to teach the constitution?

I am supposed to teach the constitution each year per state requirements.  Now, I know that I don't have to do this subject everyday, but it would be good for my kids to learn it anyway.  I have books and can get books, but are there any other ways?  Games?  Interactive learning activities?

Every year?!? Here (NY) we only have to teach it once throughout all of 1st through 8th, and not at all in high school (though you do need to teach US Govt in high school).

On PBS they've got a series on the US Govt where they mention the constitution as well (though little bits in various lectures - there isn't a single lecture on just the constitution). It's also on Youtube. Each episode is less than 10 min:

http://www.pbs.org/show/crash-course-government-and-politics/

For unknown reasons my kids like this series, even though most of it is over their heads.

My older two kids did a coop type class in about 8th or 9th where they re wrote the constitution in their own words. It was broken down for them in small sections and they were to read it, figure out what it meant and re write it in simpler language. I felt that was a highly valuable exercise and I plan to have two of my middle kids do it this year.

Edited by busymama7