Menu

Accountability Thread: 8/28-9/3

Gah! September already? How did that happen? I wasn't looking and missed summer flying by. Welcome to the Accountability thread for this week, in case we have any new folks or people who just wonder what we are doing. Basically, you post what you plan to do for whenever you plan to do it, and then you do it, or not! Then we come back and talk about it, or not. It's pretty relaxed.

Today's schedule:

Cook breakfast because I said I would--done

Get the thread up

Make lunches

Go chase waterfalls. :001_smile: (And don't hurt myself this time)

And yes, I still have history and science to finish planning, because I'm procrastinating. Maybe if I don't look at it, it will go away? Right? :laugh:

• Like 7

I should totally do this. Problem is, I stink at remembering to be accountable to the thread lol. Oh well. I'll try. School has been going...dare I say it? It's been going really great. Everyone is getting their work done, it isn't taking forever, things are moving right along. I have even been good about tying in videos and projects to science and history, which is something I am terrible at. I planned history out week by week over the summer, basically listing every single resource we have on the subject so we can pick and choose what we wanted to do. The kids however, have wanted to do everything! So our weekly schedule is being stretched into a two week schedule. And surprisingly, I'm fine with that...realizing that history doesn't have to wrap up nicely in one school year was very freeing. 

Today, we are going to church and then lunch with friends. DH is then taking the three big girls over to his friends house for swimming and a BBQ, while I rest a little at home. We had a busy day yesterday and then Baby Boy had a rough night last night and was up a ton so I am beat. While I am home, I need to

-strip and was hour bedding. The girls took care of theirs this week already.

-write up new chore cards. 

-get lunch meat for sandwiches

-make dinner for tomorrow, since between coop and gymnastics, I don't have time.

• Like 8

Our plans for this week --

Sunday 8/28

Church

Lunch

Teacher Appreciation Day! :)

Monday 8/29

Regular meals, chores, laundry, pets, exercise & hygiene

School Work -- a full day

Family supper & evening read aloud

Tuesday 8/30

Wednesday 8/31

School Work -- Math + something else

Grandparents' Visit

Thursday 9/1

Friday 9/2

Saturday 9/3

Yard work

Weekend chores & errands

After Labor Day, the recreation options open up a bit. Parks and beaches are then free (they are not free from Memorial Day to Labor Day). After all the taxes we pay in New Jersey, I'm not paying more to get us into a park or onto the beach! So, we'll probably do yard work next weekend, then the following Saturday do our usual post-Labor Day outing -- either a park or (more likely) a beach. I need to see the ocean at least twice per year, or I feel like I'm land-locked. Not fun, if you've grown up near the ocean! We're an hour from our favorite beach now, so not too bad. It's a pleasant ride. We pack a picnic and just enjoy the day.

Looking at this week's list, though, I can see that we thrive on routine, LOL. Choir starts the following week, and church midweek starts the week after that. Only two "outside activities" this year, and I am so glad. No more Monday nights out. Woohoo!

• Like 7

Gah! September already? How did that happen? I wasn't looking and missed summer flying by. Welcome to the Accountability thread for this week, in case we have any new folks or people who just wonder what we are doing. Basically, you post what you plan to do for whenever you plan to do it, and then you do it, or not! Then we come back and talk about it, or not. It's pretty relaxed.

Today's schedule:

Cook breakfast because I said I would--done

Get the thread up

Make lunches

Go chase waterfalls. :001_smile: (And don't hurt myself this time)

And yes, I still have history and science to finish planning, because I'm procrastinating. Maybe if I don't look at it, it will go away? Right? :laugh:

Can you keep all your skin on this time, Critterfixer?

No, it will not go away, and neither will your children. They are there, so please educate them. Hey, this is the accountability thread, right? So I will tell you: GET TO WORK!

:nopity:

:toetap05:

:biggrinjester:

:leaving:

• Like 8

No, it will not go away, and neither will your children. They are there, so please educate them. Hey, this is the accountability thread, right? So I will tell you: GET TO WORK!

Well, durn. Slave driver. :laugh:

Okay, okay! I'll take history with me and work on it in the car. So there. :001_tt2:

• Like 6

Camp is done (sniff!)  so now I have to get down to brass tacks on this whole homeschool thing.  I only have one to plan for this year but I will be ferrying ds to college and to work at least until he gets wheels, so that will influence our school schedule.

Today is just getting the house somewhat put together after the whirlwind of getting ready for camp and then being gone for the six days of actual camp.  I still have all my camp lesson materials to put away so I don't feel like I'm totally done with camp yet. 

Tomorrow I plan to file my letter of intent for dd.  Then I"m thinking that I might focus on planning one subject a day.  Or something like that.  Some subjects will be super easy and some will take longer so probably more like 15 min. for some subjects and then half a week on another. . .  

• Like 6

I updated my siggy with our new stuff and freaked out a little. How can my eensy weensy lil baby be doing algebra and using 8th grade books?! And how is she nearly as tall as I am? I miss things like kindergarten and second grade, when the stakes felt lower and coloring was an acceptable way to summarize what one learned in history.

I'm still waiting on the head coach to get back to me about the fall/spring schedule for T&T classes so I can figure out our school schedule. September is THIS WEEK and I still don't know if we're supposed to follow the old schedule or there will be a new one she hasn't announced yet. They sent home a form last week detailing how their class times were changing, but not when.

Fortunately for me, DD's gymnastics gym is closed this week (renovations/new equipment), so at least no one has to drive her there.

• Like 5

I survived. Hiked about 2.5 miles today, and didn't fall down once. So all my skin is still in place, I acquired no new bruises, discussed history with the boys (we came upon a cave shelter site used by early Arkansans), and reviewed botany (jewel-weed, ginger, liverwort, among others), discussed limestone and water and the effects of it on limestone, and ended up with a practical lesson on what to do if you are swimming and get caught in a current. There was a nice little current on the Buffalo where we were swimming that we got to practice with.

So a good day was had by all, and it was educational....

• Like 8

I survived. Hiked about 2.5 miles today, and didn't fall down once. So all my skin is still in place, I acquired no new bruises, discussed history with the boys (we came upon a cave shelter site used by early Arkansans), and reviewed botany (jewel-weed, ginger, liverwort, among others), discussed limestone and water and the effects of it on limestone, and ended up with a practical lesson on what to do if you are swimming and get caught in a current. There was a nice little current on the Buffalo where we were swimming that we got to practice with.

So a good day was had by all, and it was educational....

I lived in Missouri for six years (two years in MO, then five years back East, then four years in MO). I found these fascinating. Have you seen these?

http://www.missourilife.com/life/thong-trees/

https://showmeoz.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/indian-bent-trees-history-or-legend/

https://roadtrippers.com/stories/mysterious-bent-trees-are-actually-native-american-trail-markers?lat=40.80972&lng=-96.67528&z=5

I've hiked a lot in the East, and have never seen these here, but in Missouri, they were all over the place.

• Like 3

Jean- I sure hope mama brought him something to eat and tucked him in for the night, lol.

We have no music lesson again this week, just practice, our teacher has to take her dd to an appointment. We have standard schooling. I will be attempting to get all of my stuff done in the afternoon so that I don't have to get up at five to get my Ds to work. We do need to get new tires on sometime this week.p but I'm hoping to leave that to dh.

• Like 4

My little squirrels keep crying in the kitchen. Mom! MOM! Mom! They are finding it challenging to get eggs, sausages and toast all out on a plate and hot at the same time. They are doing fine, and will soon be congratulating each other on a breakfast well cooked, but they sure are noisy about confirming various steps in the process of cooking breakfast. I'm trying to be available, but not too available!

Today's schedule:

French-Continue current unit in EP

Latin-Last lesson in Second Form!

Math-Lesson 6 in CLE 603

Grammar and Composition-Spelling words from Julius Caesar, a KISS grammar lesson, Free Writing

History-Arkansas State History-I want to finish up the summer work before going back to World History

Science-Earth's Waters-Going to finish up oceans, and I got Blue Planet at the library again, which I thought might make a nice finish to water study for the year.

Literature-Julius Caesar

Art-Whatever lesson we are on

I'm a little tired after yesterday, and I'm not quite awake yet. Good thing we don't start school until 10. I've got some printing to do, and I need caffeine!

ETA: For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar (those KISS lessons are getting a little interesting, and I want to do them, too!), Writing, Housekeeping, Cooking project for Writers' Club (I need to work on that essay, too!)

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

I'm in a pissy mood today and likely will be all week so getting stuff done is going to be tough. This was supposed to be the start of dh's schedule going back to normal. Instead, he works 41.5 hours in 4 days! Ugh, this is the wrong week to be in a bad mood because we have so much to do.

Today I plan to get reading, phonics, and math done before lunch and relax time. Once kids are relaxing I'm going to clean the kitchen and fold laundry. After that I'll read to them and we'll do some baking. Then we have to clean their room. Getting ready for a beach trip on Friday is exciting but it's a lot of work.

• Like 6

Well, our day is started with a tragedy! The boys are upset that Carl (a crown tail beta fish) is dead, they are blaming the cats. We did an investigation and there is absolutely no proof that either cat had anything to do with Carl's demise but, my youngest is still really upset. We'd only had Carl a few days but he loved having something that he could call his own and feed. So sometime this week we will be picking up another fish. On our agenda today is a full workload including our morning time stuff. I'll post what actually gets done later.

• Like 6

I lived in Missouri for six years (two years in MO, then five years back East, then four years in MO). I found these fascinating. Have you seen these?

http://www.missourilife.com/life/thong-trees/

https://showmeoz.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/indian-bent-trees-history-or-legend/

https://roadtrippers.com/stories/mysterious-bent-trees-are-actually-native-american-trail-markers?lat=40.80972&lng=-96.67528&z=5

I've hiked a lot in the East, and have never seen these here, but in Missouri, they were all over the place.

This is so weird. I saw you mention living in New Jersey and I said to dh, "oh! Sahamamama is all the way in New Jersey! Why did I think she lived near us?" Turns out, you did at one time!!! Then, I read your linked articles. This is right where we live! And if that's not enough, Ross Malone, quoted in the 2nd linked article, was my 4th grade teacher!!!!

• Like 5

Well, I am sick and that is ruining all of my plans!

This is our last "soft start" week. Next week the two outsourced classes start.

The Move:

Waiting for the estimate.

This week's goal is to find a new orothodontist and make an appointment.

School:

The only thing I am worried about is Chemistry. I like our book and lab kit, but golly it all looks so.much.work. Like how is he supposed to get through all of that in one year without it taking over the day? Ugh.

My mom gets here next weekend. Hooray for that!

• Like 6

This is so weird. I saw you mention living in New Jersey and I said to dh, "oh! Sahamamama is all the way in New Jersey! Why did I think she lived near us?" Turns out, you did at one time!!! Then, I read your linked articles. This is right where we live! And if that's not enough, Ross Malone, quoted in the 2nd linked article, was my 4th grade teacher!!!!

It was Springfield, MO. First at Evangel University, then at AGTS. :) I enjoyed my MO days, but since I was on my own out there, it was kind of lonely. If I had had a family there, that would have made a difference. I always think that perhaps, someday, I may end up back out in MO, perhaps a bit further north, but you never know. My husband (California Boy) has no interest in living in the Midwest. Of course, he's never lived there. Then again, I have never lived in California, and I can say with certainty that I have zero interest in living there!

I hiked a lot in Missouri, absolutely all over the place. Miles and miles and miles of country out there, LOL, and cows, llamas, and emus as far as the eye can see. ;) But we finally made it up to what, in New Jersey, is considered "country." ;) Not the same, but still pretty. Again, I have cows on the hills behind my house, horses on the property behind our backyard (free for me!), roosters and peacocks and guinea fowl across the road, and a very crazy donkey two houses away. He is the most cantankerous critter on the street. Ee-haw, ee-haw, ee-haw, all day and half the night. We hear the cows and calves on the dairy farm behind our house, especially in the spring when the farmer separates the mamas from their babies. They bawl all night, too. LOL. I love it!

The first night I heard the peacocks, I was coming from the mailbox, up the driveway in the dark (with a little flashlight). I nearly jumped out of my skin! :scared: I came inside and my husband said, "Was that a howler monkey?" LOL. "No, Honey, it's a peacock." He didn't believe me, so I googled "peacock," then put the computer speaker in the open window. We had that peacock across the street answering "our" peacock for at least an hour. Country fun. :) That, and the 9,563 baby peeper frogs we had in our pool last spring. Hands-on Science at its finest.

The guinea hens are my favorites, though. If you crossed a turkey with a chicken, that would be a guinea hen.

• Like 7

Afternoon ladies :)  Well, the 3yo ended up staying home this week instead of going to visit grami as planned.  So it was full bore ahead today!  And it went fairly well. Some summer retention issues of course, it felt a little overwhelming to have to focus our brains for the that long lol.   DD9 got home from her dad's yesterday and I suspect the two 9yo's are being sort of silly (they missed each other) because ds9 didn't get all his math done and he's usually done first.  He'll finish it during quiet time.  DD9 made lunch and was so proud of herself, it was really sweet :)  Love having 9yos take care of lunches and snacks!  3yo and 9yo got into a mini-fight while 9yo was reading to her, so I hope that isn't going to be par for the course!  I'll talk with 3yo a bit later, sounds like she was being a turkey.  Not that dd9 is 100% innocent!

This afternoon:  Outside time, quiet time, memory work, "morning time" and writing.  At some point we'll all drop everything and help dh unload the trailer of firewood but I think we could all use the exercise and the brain break!

Have a great afternoon everyone!

• Like 6

Monday-

So stinking proud of myself lol. I planned, bought the ingredients for, AND actually cooked four meals today while the girls were at coop. Woot woot! I just kept rinsing my pan and utensils and only had to wipe the kitchen down once instead of a bunch of times over the week.

We did our short day of school this morning before coop. Got snacks and lunches packed for coop. Got to coop ON TIME. All kids had shoes and looked somewhat presentable. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“

And I got my bedding and bath mats washed.

It's the little things.

• Like 7

Sunday 8/28

We went to church in the morning, then had lunch at home. In the afternoon, the girls put on their long-awaited Teacher Appreciation Day. They presented programs and notes of thanks. Then they took turns playing pieces on the piano, singing together, and reciting several poems. The grand finale was a hilarious re-enactment of "The Owl and the Pussy Cat," performed by a stuffed cat, a handmade felt owl, a pig puppet (with a ring in his nose), and a homemade construction paper turkey. All of the costumes, scenery, and props were thoughtfully and creatively prepared by the girls. The cat was wearing a faux-mink cape from their doll clothes collection, and they even had a real shilling. It was so fun, they did it twice!

And I got presents! Then I gave each of them a "So Glad You Are My Student" note and adorable note card sets (they love to write notes to everyone they know). It was a good day.

Monday 8/29

Regular chores, meals, laundry, pets, exercise, hygiene

Prayer

Bible lesson

JBQ test out (all 3)

Independent reading check-in (all 3)

Independent work check-in (all 3)

Math (all 3)

Vocabulary (all 3)

French (all 3)

Reading with written work (all 3)

Grammar (1)

Composition (1)

Free time

Book Club: By the Shores of Silver Lake

Early bedtime for girls? (a person can dream)

• Like 7

We went to church in the morning, then had lunch at home. In the afternoon, the girls put on their long-awaited Teacher Appreciation Day. They presented programs and notes of thanks. Then they took turns playing pieces on the piano, singing together, and reciting several poems. The grand finale was a hilarious re-enactment of "The Owl and the Pussy Cat," performed by a stuffed cat, a handmade felt owl, a pig puppet (with a ring in his nose), and a homemade construction paper turkey. All of the costumes, scenery, and props were thoughtfully and creatively prepared by the girls. The cat was wearing a faux-mink cape from their doll clothes collection, and they even had a real shilling. It was so fun, they did it twice!

And I got presents! Then I gave each of them a "So Glad You Are My Student" note and adorable note card sets (they love to write notes to everyone they know). It was a good day.

:001_wub: Awe. That was sweet of them!

• Like 3

It was Springfield, MO. First at Evangel University, then at AGTS. :) I enjoyed my MO days, but since I was on my own out there, it was kind of lonely. If I had had a family there, that would have made a difference. I always think that perhaps, someday, I may end up back out in MO, perhaps a bit further north, but you never know. My husband (California Boy) has no interest in living in the Midwest. Of course, he's never lived there. Then again, I have never lived in California, and I can say with certainty that I have zero interest in living there!

I hiked a lot in Missouri, absolutely all over the place. Miles and miles and miles of country out there, LOL, and cows, llamas, and emus as far as the eye can see. ;) But we finally made it up to what, in New Jersey, is considered "country." ;) Not the same, but still pretty. Again, I have cows on the hills behind my house, horses on the property behind our backyard (free for me!), roosters and peacocks and guinea fowl across the road, and a very crazy donkey two houses away. He is the most cantankerous critter on the street. Ee-haw, ee-haw, ee-haw, all day and half the night. We hear the cows and calves on the dairy farm behind our house, especially in the spring when the farmer separates the mamas from their babies. They bawl all night, too. LOL. I love it!

The first night I heard the peacocks, I was coming from the mailbox, up the driveway in the dark (with a little flashlight). I nearly jumped out of my skin! :scared: I came inside and my husband said, "Was that a howler monkey?" LOL. "No, Honey, it's a peacock." He didn't believe me, so I googled "peacock," then put the computer speaker in the open window. We had that peacock across the street answering "our" peacock for at least an hour. Country fun. :) That, and the 9,563 baby peeper frogs we had in our pool last spring. Hands-on Science at its finest.

The guinea hens are my favorites, though. If you crossed a turkey with a chicken, that would be a guinea hen.

Yep. We live in the rurals on the edge of a small town. City limits is the back edge of our yard. There is a farm across the road from us with lots of cows and chickens. It's very noisy! :) We coo and aww over the baby cows. When I refer to trips to the "big city" on this thread, I'm usually talking about Springfield. Sometimes we go to St. Louis but Springfield is closer.

There are a LOT of CA transplants here. I can think of 4 good friends' entire families that relocated here from CA right off the bat. There are more I'm not remembering, I'm sure. I wish we lived closer to St. Louis. A lot closer. So we could be part of the hs community there and take advantage of all the free/cheap things for families to do. Maybe someday but dh's family is local to us so maybe not. :/

Babysat the 2 year old all last week and again this week. No school to account for. Dd is on break until September 6th. Then it's 3rd grade and Kindergarten!

• Like 5

Yawn! We did so much yesterday that I'm completely burnt out this morning. coffee should help with that so that is top of my list. Then we've got another busy day. I plan on getting reading, math, and phonics done in the morning and then be done for the day because we still have a lot to do to get ready for our beach trip.

• Like 6

Today's schedule:

Boys cook breakfast

French-EP Unite 16, workbook

Latin-Unit 5 review continued

Math-Lesson 7, 1 page KTD

Grammar/Composition-practice spelling words, KISS level 1:3, Ex 1b, free writing

History/Science-swap from yesterday

Literature/Art-swap from yesterday

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Writing, Housekeeping, Writers' Group

• Like 5

We went ahead and started everything but math and French yesterday, and it went really well. DD kept saying "This is so easy." I have a feeling she'll change her mind later on, but for now she's nearly coasting. In fact, last night she did everything but the activities (they need to be photocopied) for today, so she could have extra free time. I have a feeling she's planning on a marathon session of Minecraft.

• Like 6

My little squirrels keep crying in the kitchen. Mom! MOM! Mom! They are finding it challenging to get eggs, sausages and toast all out on a plate and hot at the same time. They are doing fine, and will soon be congratulating each other on a breakfast well cooked, but they sure are noisy about confirming various steps in the process of cooking breakfast. I'm trying to be available, but not too available!

I was (at first) picturing actual small squirrels....

Anyway, this is the key, right? To be available (sort of looking, to make sure no one sticks, say, a knife into a plugged-in toaster), but not too available (as in, "Here, let me take over and show you how it's done"). That's a tough balancing act, I find.

My 11 year old is Little Miss Confidence in the kitchen, which is a fairly accurate self-assessment on her part. She is capable, something we keep trying to get her father to comprehend on Saturday mornings. "Let her do it" has become my new mantra to him. I'm not really a sink-or-swim type, but there is a need at some point to let it go, you know? He would chase everyone out of the kitchen and do it himself, but what's the value in that? So I tell him that he can teach them, too.

The eggs-toast-and-tea (in our case) breakfast is actually quite challenging. Simple on the surface of things, but complicated to perfect the timing. Otherwise, burnt toast or cold tea, alas. We do hard-boiled eggs, so that simplifies it a bit (for now). They are getting the timing down pat, but they each do a separate meal job (on three week rotations), so it's a solo act.

I'm trying to picture your mud-puppies in the kitchen. :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:         And you're over here, all cool, like this:  :thumbup1: 

The simplest breakfast mine do is "Variety Breakfast" -- a few slices of deli ham, left-over hard-boiled eggs, some nuts or seeds, some fruit, some cheese, graham crackers -- basically, a collection of easy-to-grab things. They don't want this too often, since they are also clamoring for "hot breakfast." (As if!)

The second-simplest breakfast they do is either oatmeal or cream of wheat. They consider cold cereal to be a non-breakfast, LOL. We've been told! Apparently, it's a SNACK.

My oldest makes raisin-spice bread in the machine, and they toast it up the next morning, then put on cream cheese. Easy and quick. Muffins made ahead of time are an easy-grab breakfast, too.

French toast would be a hit, but I haven't been up to teaching that, yet. Perhaps for lunch sometime, to get in practice? Homemade waffles are (IMO) easier than pancakes. My girls make those for supper sometimes (with assistance).

I'd like a few less carbs in their diet. How do to that in the mornings, without a ton of eggs and sausage, I don't know.

Has anyone here heard of scrapple? My dad (from Philly) eats it (he's 84, so it can't be too bad). I grew up to the sound of a percolating coffee pot (on the stove) and the (awful) smell of frying scrapple. :ack2: All the parts of a pig that don't make it into a hot dog, cooked up into a gray brick with cornmeal mush.

Yum. :ack2:

• Like 5

Tuesday 8/30

Prayer

History lesson & activity

Spelling (all 3)

Roots Up (all 3)

Grammar (all 3)

Composition (all 3)

Math (all 3)

Assigned Independent Reading with written work (all 3)

French (all 3)

Outdoor exercise (all 3) + my exercise time

Regular chores, meals, laundry, pets & hygiene

Book Club Read Aloud: By the Shores of Silver Lake

• Like 6

Today was hard! I had to read oldest the riot act about his stank attitude, made the executive decision that there will be no video games during the week, starting next week. We disposed of Carl this morning, I tried to do on the down low since youngest to wouldn't let me do it yesterday. He did wake up as I was taking Carl to the bathroom and wanted to come with to see him off, we said a prayer for Carl and sent him on to his final resting place. We were able to get math, Latin, literature,grammar and classical studies done for oldest. The youngest got spelling, math, keyboard practice, grammar and morning time. I gotta tell you ladies, this is our second week and I still haven't been able to really get started with MFW Adventures. I loved, loved, loved the program when I used it with oldest , but now when I think about it, I just think about all the copies I'll have to make and stuff I'll need to gather to do the program. I don't have the same warm and fuzzy feelings that I did the first time around and I don't know why. The program truly is wonderful and gentle but, I just keep thinking KISS! What should I do? Believe it or not I do have a back up plan but should I move to the back up plan when I haven't even giv plan A a god effort? I'm thinking that maybe I should change the plans around and make plan B the new plan A and let MFW be plan B. Ah well, I shall pray about it this weekend and let you guys know what I chose on Monday.

• Like 6

I'm trying to picture your mud-puppies in the kitchen.  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:         And you're over here, all cool, like this:   :thumbup1:

Except I'm hiding this :scared:  with :coolgleamA: . So picture me with a very tight mouth and an encouraging smile pasted on top of it. Actually, breakfast went off very well this morning. The boys are taking turns trading out bacon/sausage frying with scrambled egg making. This morning they were actually patting each other on the back for their wonderful skills, so I think they are figuring it out.

Tomorrow I think we'll try for GF dinner rolls, just for fun as an afternoon project.

Has anyone here heard of scrapple? My dad (from Philly) eats it (he's 84, so it can't be too bad). I grew up to the sound of a percolating coffee pot (on the stove) and the (awful) smell of frying scrapple.  :ack2: All the parts of a pig that don't make it into a hot dog, cooked up into a gray brick with cornmeal mush.

I have heard of it and tried to forget that I did. :laugh:

The program truly is wonderful and gentle but, I just keep thinking KISS! What should I do?

Simple is good.

• Like 6

Today was town day for us.  Pretty lax,since nothing has started up yet for the fall, but soon it will be full with an ASL class, piano lesson for dd, swimming lessons for all and finally a guitar lesson for ds9.  Hopefully in there will be time to go to the library, the grocery store and the Toy Lending library!  Oh!  And if I'm lucky, the candy store and the liquor store lol. Next week is a "Not back to school picnic"   :)

Back to the grindstone tomorrow.  Maybe I'll get the afternoon in as well?  Never did get back to school on Monday lol.  Unexpected company, cow crisis etc.!

Edited by Tawlas
  • Like 7

Forgot to check in yesterday. I wanted to maybe head to the park, since it was 73 in the morning, but no friends could meet us, and I would rather save our 'ditching school' days for when we can play. So it was a home day. School got done by 1.

My new chore system is working out swimmingly. I've written up about 30 chores on index cards and assigned them a monetary value. They are 'for hire' chores, aside from the normal daily stuff they do. At first I was only putting ten cards up, and whatever didn't get done by Saturday, we all pitched in together to get it done. Catch is, I only pay M-F. If it's not done by Saturday, I consider it a volunteer job. Every morning now, the girls rush down to pick the chores they'll do for the day. Some are higher value, but bigger jobs. They negotiate with each other, decide if they'll split a job and the payout, bargain and trade jobs. Best of all, they are HAPPILY working. Not only that, but they are going above and beyond the written chore because I've told them I give bonuses for an exceptional job. They don't know when I'll award a bonus, so they are diligent in all jobs. Plus, now they have a reliable way to earn decent spending money. I only sign off once I've inspected their work, and I'm a tough critic. One job is making a healthy snack for everyone, and the creative culinary creations were so fun to see. Last week, I paid out $52 between the three girls. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ³ Way more than I was expecting, but they kept pulling extra cards from the stack and I didn't want to discourage them. Anyway, I'm sure it will eventually fizzle out like every other system I've tried lol, but I'm taking advantage of their excitement.

Started trying to nudge Baby Bird into a schedule of sorts, since his night time sleep has been slowly deteriorating. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ£ I've never had a crib sleeping, bottle fed baby, and it's HARD! He clearly does NOT like his crib, which I completely understand. I've been trying to catch him drowsy and lay him down for his daytime naps, but I feel bad about not holding him-he is still sleeping 18ish hours per day, which is a LOT of time to be in a crib.

I also finished up my monthly logs and training hours for foster care.

Today is a normal school day, adding in some Mystery Science for fun. Then we head to the gym at 3. Between the three girls, we'll be there until 8. Dinner is already made though! ;-) My chore for the day is my bathroom.

• Like 6

Today's schedule:

Boys cook breakfast-done (They gave themselves a B for bacon issues)

French-Unit 16, workbook

Latin-continue Unit 5 review

Math-lesson 8, 1 page KTD

Grammar/Composition-spelling practice, KISS grammar lesson 1b, free writing

History-State History, additional reading

Science-Earth's Waters, additional reading

Literature-continue Julius Caesar

Art-lesson 2 on shape

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Writing, Housekeeping. The usual.

• Like 5

Our day has been ok but our time management skills suck!! The boys are doing good especially my younger one. Today for him we did morning time, spelling, math, piano practice and read about 10 pages of Leif the Lucky. I'm exasperated because I forgot to have hom narrate, oh he did draw a picture of a Viking boat and practiced his cursive writing. My older is still working but he takes so long to do everything, he keeps coming to me because he "doesn't understand the instructions given in the book" personally I think he's skimming over the instructions or not actually reading them at all. I'm hoping he learns soon that his life will be significantly easier if he will read the instructions the first time. I'm going to decid again what to do for youngest this weekend.

• Like 4

Dd and I went to the library to work on school planning - so far I think we've nailed down biology and world geography (Oak Meadow for both)  and literature  (Garlic Press Challenging Lit. Guides) and grammar (analytical grammar).  We'll do Japanese as a foreign language - a mix of an Australian textbook which name I forget at the moment and actual Japanese school textbooks.  (I have to still figure out some of the logistics of this).  PE will be focused on her races and crosstraining.  I'm leaning towards using Jacobs Algebra I but people are still recommending some books on the high school board so I'm not sure on that yet. 

• Like 5

Didn't get time to check in today at lunch as I was on the phone with the umbrella school getting a few back-to-school details sorted out.  DD9 will qualify for Reading Horizons funding :)  I'm so tired of teaching that girl phonics lol, I'm hoping this will be a good fit :P

Did a full day today!  A regular morning (Reading, math, spelling etc) and a regular afternoon which included our Read Aloud (starting easy with Rudyard Kipling "How the Camel got His Hump" and the like), Memory work (binders a la Mystie Winckler).  Then our afternoon loop lessons consisted of a 1/2 chapter in history and a freewrite.  Then they tackled the first lesson in IEW A, but didn't get the whole thing done.  I'm only doing 30 minutes of writing per day.  After that, I shut 'er down.  We're all sick of school by that point lol

Did good!  Kids did good!  I'm satisfied :-)

• Like 6

Dd and I went to the library to work on school planning - so far I think we've nailed down biology and world geography (Oak Meadow for both)  and literature  (Garlic Press Challenging Lit. Guides) and grammar (analytical grammar).  We'll do Japanese as a foreign language - a mix of an Australian textbook which name I forget at the moment and actual Japanese school textbooks.  (I have to still figure out some of the logistics of this).  PE will be focused on her races and crosstraining.  I'm leaning towards using Jacobs Algebra I but people are still recommending some books on the high school board so I'm not sure on that yet. 

Let me know what you think of the OM stuff. I'm considering both of those for DD next year.

• Like 3

Current school work is going well. Tomorrow is New Math, and DD is already grumbling about it. I guess if she really hates it, she can do SYRWTL Maths 3 and Real World Algebra or Patty Paper Geometry, since I own them already. I always buy too much and don't end up using it. I guess it's better than the alternative, though.

• Like 4

Wednesday 8/31

Hubby was up early (2:45 am) to get to Philly on time, and I couldn't get back to sleep after his alarm went off. His alarm is super quiet, too. It sounds like the chirp of a cricket. But I woke up, anyway, and that was that.

So I got up. I exercised (30 minutes, treadmill). I drank two cups of coffee. ;) I cooked, chopped copious amounts of vegetables (for 2-3 days), drank a kale shake, and got the day rolling with breakfast for the girls.

This past July, I was diagnosed with NAFLD and diabetes. The gastroenterologist was terrible -- he kept saying it was my gallbladder (it wasn't), that I had gallstones (none!), and that I should meet with his buddy, the surgeon, and make an appointment to have my gallbladder out. Terrible.

It turns out that since I don't have a thyroid (cancer, 11 years ago), my thyroid hormone replacement level was slightly out of whack. This happens from time to time, and it can throw off a lot. But I had also become too sedentary, and the "low-fat diet" the gastroenterologist put me on was the absolute worst thing for my situation.

I made an appointment to see my endocrinologist. We worked out a plan, and I'm getting better. He agreed to let me try lifestyle changes, instead of diabetes medication, since my cholesterol, triglycerides, and all those other numbers were actually pretty good (and my A1C isn't that bad). The protocol is daily exercise (every day, no misses, 30 minutes, 6 times per week) and a very low-carb diet (ketogenic Mediterranean). I've lost 30 pounds since July, with more to go. I feel better, but my pants are falling off now. ;)

Yesterday, the girls did Math (all 3), and that was it for school.

My parents came up for the day, and we had a lovely visit with them.

Hubby made it back safely from Philadelphia, and had good news related to his work. It was a good day. :)

• Like 6

This past July, I was diagnosed with NAFLD and diabetes. The gastroenterologist was terrible -- he kept saying it was my gallbladder (it wasn't), that I had gallstones (none!), and that I should meet with his buddy, the surgeon, and make an appointment to have my gallbladder out. Terrible.

Yikes! Glad it didn't turn out to be the gallbladder and that your diet and exercise are going well for you. I remember when you said you were having some health issues, and I wondered if that had worked out.

Today's schedule:

Boys cook breakfast-done (they are getting fancy--they wanted to add toast to the breakfast this morning!)

French-Unit 16, workbook

Latin-Continue Unit 5 review

Math-Lesson 9, 1 page KTD

Grammar/Composition-Spelling quiz, KISS Exercise 1c, Free Writing

History/Science-swap from yesterday

Lit/Art-swap from yesterday

For me: Get rid of this headache, French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Writing, Housekeeping, Library. Maybe some cooking.

• Like 5

Morning ladies!! On our schedule for today:

Older:

Devotional

Latin quiz

Re do yesterday's math lesson

Grammar lesson

Spelling

Science

Review for lit quiz

ICS day 4

Younger:

Piano practice

Math (20 min.)

Grammar review

Spelling test

Science

Cursive practice

Morning time for both boys. I already did my exercise for the day, now I just need to get the boys up so we can get started.

• Like 3