Menu

Would you say no more or just let it go?

DawnM

My youngest is obsessed with knives.  He is a boy scout and several of the boys have those knives that fold down.  All of my boys have had them at one time or another.  All the boys in their troop have them.

That is fine.  But my youngest has decided he likes collecting them.

Every camp that he may need some money for food/snacks/etc... he opts to not get the snocones and popcorn snacks and just get a new knife.

He got one at each camp this summer (boy scout camps) and he just came home with another after this past weekend where they camped at an army base and went to the army surplus store afterwards.

Would you just let it go or would you say "enough."

He likes each of them for different reasons.  The pattern, the color, the way it opens, etc.....

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I have one (now an adult) who collects knives and I know some adult men who do (not related to us.) I see it as a collection, on par with any other kind of collection. I just had to remind mine when we went certain places that pocket knives were not allowed (ie when we toured a navy ship years ago.) He's also my son who is into preparedness, so he's good to have along on a hike, etc. Whatever one needs is in that backback! 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

Would you let him collect other things (marbles or coins or matchbox cars)?  

I guess I'd let him; he seems to be purchasing them responsibly (saving up his money) and I assume the opportunities to buy more will decrease during the school year.

Agree with the above post, though. Let him know when it is appropriate for a knife to leave the house.

• Like 5

I don't see why he can't have a collection. It's not like it's a collection of huge teddy bears. They can easily fit in a drawer somewhere. It's his spending money, he likes them. Lots of people have lots of collections. I'd say let it go and even ooh and aah over each new one he gets. This might be something he does for a lifetime or just for a few months, but either way I'd cheerfully let him do it.

• Like 6

Thanks guys.  

It surprised me by the 3rd time, but I haven't made any comments either way to him.  I thought I would ask here.

He is well aware he can't take them with him into just anywhere.  He keeps them all in one spot at home and makes sure and takes one on camping trips with boy scouts.  That is pretty much the only place he takes them.

• Like 3

My DS likes knives and keeps acquiring more. 

As long as he spends his money and does no do anything stupid with them, I'd let him be. I would make sure he understands when and where he can carry, and which kinds of knives will be illegal to carry in your state so that he does not get in trouble inadvertently. But hey, better spend pocket money on knives than on sugary snacks...

• Like 8

One of my son's like knives and swords.  He started off with his pen knife he got as a cub scout.  He liked those flip knives for a while and collected them.  When he went to Spain as a teenager he bought this really cool sword.  And a couple of times he's been to Renaissance festivals where he bought swords.  I just figure some guys like weapons!  He isn't especially violent or anything.  He still at 21 carries a pen knife with him and it is immensely handy for every day situations. 

• Like 3

I'd let it go - but might have him write me up a report on the history of pocket knives, the various tools they might come with, etc.  and how the blades differ from kitchen knives, material.

it sounds like they are his "souvenier" from when he goes somewhere.   some people buy t-shirts they never wear again.

• Like 4

Both dss collect knives.  They take care of them and have a place for keeping them. 

They started with pocket knives and now also have some bigger knives (ones that hook on the belt), a sword each and a tomahawk.  I am fine as they are older.

The only time I have said "no" when purchasing a knife is when it is just a cheapo and they are just wanting to buy to have more. 

I think it is cool that your ds is buying them from places he has been.  A souvenir from the places

• Like 2

I think it's totally fine.  But there would be very clear rules about where they were to be stored, where they can be taken, and their usage. 

I agree.  

As long as he is being responsible, I don't see an issue.  Several people in my family have collected knives over the years.  DH has a zillion Swiss army and multipurpose knives (although that is mainly because his dad and grandfather were collectors and kept giving him knives, too.)

• Like 3

Unless he's showing any signs of anxiety and you think he might be fixating on collecting the knives, I'd mostly let it go. Is he missing out on time socializing with other scouts by foregoing the snacks or other activities? (Still hanging out with them or is he alone in the cabin/tent instead?)

• Like 3

Unless he's showing any signs of anxiety and you think he might be fixating on collecting the knives, I'd mostly let it go. Is he missing out on time socializing with other scouts by foregoing the snacks or other activities? (Still hanging out with them or is he alone in the cabin/tent instead?)

:iagree:

• Like 2

I went to get this knife, so I can describe it to you properly.  A family we are good friends with, he is high ranking in the Colombian Army.  He gave me a knife made by Smith & Wesson.  It says "ExtremeOps" on the blade.  It says "Rescue Knife" on the box.  I've owned guns made by Smith & Wesson, but I had no idea they made knives too.

I am afraid to carry it on the street, because someone might kill me, for it, or with it.  So, I keep it in the closet...     I think the Colombian Army bought a bunch of these knives and am not sure if they are sold to the public. I bet your DS would love to have this knife in his collection.

Collecting things can be interesting and with time can lead to profit.  If he keeps them in their proper place (in a display case?) I think that's OK.  People can become interested in doing things that are very harmful to them or to others.  Collecting knives or something else seems quite harmless.  

I collected coins for awhile when I was a boy. One person's trash is another's treasure.

• Like 2

I'd just ask him to have a careful look at the folding and release mechanisms.  Some (many?) are just too cheap.  There are knives I wouldn't let my kid even keep in a collection because the mechanisms are just too cheap, dodgy, reactive, or unreliable.  But no, I wouldn't have a prob with the idea of pocket knife collecting.

• Like 2

I'd let it go - but might have him write me up a report on the history of pocket knives, the various tools they might come with, etc.  and how the blades differ from kitchen knives, material.

<snip>

Why?  Serious question - why would you assign work related to something like this?   'Cause my reaction was the same as:

Noooooo, don't ruin it, lol! 

:-)

• Like 2

Why? Serious question - why would you assign work related to something like this? 'Cause my reaction was the same as:

:-)

Curiosity. It's interesting.

Eta: might gained deeper appreciation as well as discernment in which are worth his money and storage space.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I think it's pretty common interest among teen boys, especially Boy Scouts. My scout buys a new knife everyone he goes to camp, lol. If he's acting inappropriately with them at camp, he will loose a corner of his tote'n chit. If he continues to be unsafe with knives, he will lose the tote'n chit completely, and they won't allow him to bring a knife on a trip.

• Like 1

When my Eagle Scout was a new Scout, he needed a new knife every time we went to REI. And he was the same - different style blade, the handle has xyz, etc

At 19, I thought he was past it, but he just to me the other day, "Hey Mom, look at this. I think I need to buy this. What fo you think?"

It was yet another knife. I don't think he'll every be over it.

• Like 1

Thanks.

He definitely is not anti-social. He is the most social of the bunch.

And no, I won't be making him write a paper on knives. For one thing, we aren't homeschooling anymore, so it would be added work.

He knows quite a bit about them already though.

• Like 3

My Ds is the same way. He loves knives. But since he has lost quite a few, he only has his latest, not a collection. He takes a knife to scouting events. If he wanted to take a knife anywhere else, even in his pocket, I would be confiscating. We are not in a hunting/rural type of area, and people could get the wrong idea.

If Ds ever pulled out a knife in a fit of anger -- even if he didn't open it -- he knows that would be the end of his knife for quite a while. I think the Bear training and Whittling Chip card get kids off on the right foot -- respect for what could be a weapon.

• Like 1

As long as he knows not to carry it all the time. It is embarrassing when you are taking a routine trip to the courthouse, and the security folks pull a knife out of your bag. And it can be a long long walk back to your car, since they really won't hold your knife for you while you visit the courthouse. I know this all from personal experience as a pocketknife-carrying woman. 

• Like 2

As long as he knows not to carry it all the time. It is embarrassing when you are taking a routine trip to the courthouse, and the security folks pull a knife out of your bag. And it can be a long long walk back to your car, since they really won't hold your knife for you while you visit the courthouse. I know this all from personal experience as a pocketknife-carrying woman.

This story is pre 2001...

I used to carry a pocketknife with me at all times (scoutleader...). For a short time, I worked in a call center. One of the days I didn't have a shift, one of the workers got fed up and took a knife and cut his phone cord (he was fired and "walked off the floor".) One of my friends was working right nearby. The next day while working, someone asked my friend if he had been scared when the other guy had taken out a knife. He said no, as he pulled out a pocket-knife... along with me and another friend who also pulled out knives....

Knives are, above all, a tool. I used mine constantly, and I miss it (lost it....)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This story is pre 2001...

I used to carry a pocketknife with me at all times (scoutleader...). For a short time, I worked in a call center. One of the days I didn't have a shift, one of the workers got fed up and took a knife and cut his phone cord (he was fired and "walked off the floor".) One of my friends was working right nearby. The next day while working, someone asked my friend if he had been scared when the other guy had taken out a knife. He said no, as he pulled out a pocket-knife... along with me and another friend who also pulled out knives....

Knives are, above all, a tool. I used mine constantly, and I miss it (lost it....)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

one time when I was doing jury duty, I had scissors in my bag - the guards held onto them by the door and let me pick them up when I left.  that was 2010ish?  I did jury duty again a few months ago - and it seems they were still doing that.  seems they had pocket knives in there too.  people forget about stuff like that, they don't automatically treat you like a threat.  (this despite the history of a man bringing a gun into the courthouse and shooting and killing his ex-wife and her friend.)

eta: this was the federal/county courthouse in seattle.  not one of the district courts in neighboring towns.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1