Menu

Clinique discontinued my toner...LF recommendations

alisoncooks

Apparently, Clinique discontinued their Mild Clarifying Lotion earlier this year and replaced it with something completely different (Clarifying Lotion 1.0 or something).  I have been using this toner for years.  I was slowly working through a stash of them, which is why I didn't realize it had been discontinued sooner.  I would've stockpiled had I known! :(

I have combo skin (oily from the nose up, dry/flaky from the nose down).  I do get occasional acne, mostly on my chin/jaw line (hormonal).  I have sensitive skin and can get itchy/red/irritated with some products.

So I'd love some recs...

Back in high school/college, I used a Clean & Clear astringent...which would probably melt my face off now.   :ohmy:

Before Clinique, I used Thayer's witch hazel (rose)...which I tried last night and was too drying (and this a.m. my face had some post-irritation bumps forming).

I'm considering:

Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner

Simple Soothing Facial Toner (may try this first)

Any thoughts on either of these? (Pos/neg. experiences?)  

Alternative recommendations?

I'm not willing to go with something like Paula's Choice (which run nearly $20/bottle).  I'm trying to use this break with Clinique as a way to find a cheaper, and more easily purchasable, replacement.

I'm no help since I've never found a toner that I felt was worth the price, but you might want to check out the reviews on Beautypedia:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews?N=4294966879+4294942694+4294966904&Ns=p_num_days_published%7C0

ETA:  I should warn you that Paula's own toners do appear prominently in the 5-star toner reviews, because she believes that a lot of companies are putting poor quality ingredients into their toners.  I think her reviews are generally very fair, but see what you think.

Edited by Greta

:grouphug: I still haven't gotten over Clinique discontinuing my shampoo back when I was pregnant with dd. The new version gave me hives. It took me years to find a replacement that didn't make me itch after a couple of uses.

I stopped using Clinique at all after they stopped carrying my foundation that I had used for almost 30 years!  ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

I switched to Mary Kay.  2 friends and I signed up together to get the discount, so we each need to spend $75 four times per year to keep up our "membership."

I am still mad at Clinique.  That was a staple.  I used it every day for 30 years.