Menu

Progesterone cream users- please chime in

bodiesmom

I recently completed my first cycle using Emerita Pro-Gest cream. I used 1/8th tsp 2x a day for the first half of my cycle and 1/4 tsp 2x a day during the last half. Everything went GREAT until I stopped using it once my period started. Within 24 hours of completely stopping it, I had what I think was my first cluster of hot flashes, complete with anxiety. I couldn't sleep, felt incredibly anxious, and then had this intense warm/burning sensation up through my neck shoulders and head, followed by my heart beating oh so fast. This was followed by a period of chills and exhaustion. Rinse and repeat that cycle several times and that was what my first night without progesterone was like. I haven't had any symptoms since.

So- a couple of questions....

1- does this sound like hot flashes?

2- would stopping my progesterone cause this?

I'm hoping to start up this regimen again in a few days and am REALLY hoping this was a one time experience because that anxiety was awful.

Anyone else had this kind of experience?

ETA- my progesterone levels are low (from blood work as well as symptoms). I'm also hoping to shrink a uterine polyp. My naturopath has me working on my adrenals to help my body make progesterone more effectively on its own.

Edited by bodiesmom

I haven't had any personal experience with hot flashes ever.  I don't usually notice much of a difference between when I use it and when I stop..well, except that my period has started, lol. But there is no reaction or anything. If I did, I think I would be hard pressed to continue using it.

Maybe contact your naturopath?

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with progesterone cream but I had a hysterectomy last year and what you are describing sounds exactly like my experience with hot flashes and cold flashes. I get them back to back. When I get the hot flash, I have the tingly feeling up the back of my neck, intense anxiety and my heart beats out of my chest. During a cold flash I shiver and I can't get warm enough.

Definitely sounds hormonal to me. Your body probably doesn't like the drastic reduction of progesterone.

Hope you find some answers.

• Like 1

Thank you, Redsquirrel-

Yeah, I think I am going to contact her on Monday. I really want to keep this going because I slept SO WELL on it and of course all the other benefits. But that darn anxiety....and only that one night.....I'm wondering if I taper off this next cycle instead of going from 1/2 tsp daily to bam- nothing. Weird. Just weird. It's the story of my body it seems as of late.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with progesterone cream but I had a hysterectomy last year and what you are describing sounds exactly like my experience with hot flashes and cold flashes. I get them back to back. When I get the hot flash, I have the tingly feeling up the back of my neck, intense anxiety and my heart beats out of my chest. During a cold flash I shiver and I can't get warm enough.

Definitely sounds hormonal to me. Your body probably doesn't like the drastic reduction of progesterone.

Hope you find some answers.

YES! You described it exactly!! Thank you for sharing your experience...I feel better knowing someone has experienced this (though I'm sorry you have).

I'm thinking it didn't like the drastic reduction in progesterone either- stopping the cream as well as the natural drop before your period...yikes! I'm definitely contacting my naturopath.

Does anyone continue a smaller dose of progesterone through their period?