Menu

Ideas for Outsourcing English - I am so stressed

My daughter is in 9th grade and we started American Lit this year.  I just don't feel confident teaching it (we are using Lightning Literature) or evaluating her writing.  I was thinking of using dual enrollment, but don't want to do that yet since she just turned 14 (she does go for Spanish, but that feels very different).  I like the book selections for Lightning Literature, but I would like more literary analysis even though I have no idea how to grade that.  

Does anyone have recommendations on an English literature and composition class we can use?  It doesn't have to be American Literature.  I am making myself crazy right now doubting myself, worrying, feeling like I'm going to ruin dd's future, etc.  

Thanks,

I have not personally used this but have you looked at Center for Lit's literary analysis classes?  I like Adam Andrews as a teacher/speaker and we use the Socratic method at home. I hope to use their classes when my kids are a bit older.

They have an American Lit class for high schoolers.  http://www.centerforlit.com/ad167

Full list of courses:
http://www.centerforlit.com/prospective-students/

• Like 1

TPS's English 3: Literature Survey with Mrs. Geno is very good. It's not American Lit, per se, but it seemed to be tilted toward American Lit when my boys took it in 2014-15.  They came out of that course able to write a solid, literary analysis paper as well as shorter essays. One of the best online high school courses they've taken, and they've taken a lot.

This morning, I just came across this source, WordlyWays, for American Literature by someone from these boards. Her lesson plans look like they have some good content, and she's offering Skype classes this year, at a great price.  However, I have no personal BTDT experience with the classes or lesson plans.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 4

I have friends that use Potter's School as well. Here is a link to their literature offering as best I can make out.  https://www.pottersschool.org/course/list/#course-3250

ETA: this is the same as the prior poster's course. We posted at the same time!  =)

There is also WTM Academy but I don't know anyone who has used it. Hopefully you will get some more feedback on here.  =)

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

TPS's English 3: Literature Survey with Mrs. Geno is very good. It's not American Lit, per se, but it seemed to be tilted toward American Lit when my boys took it in 2014-15.  They came out of that course able to write a solid, literary analysis paper as well as shorter essays. One of the best online high school courses they've taken, and they've taken a lot.

This morning, I just came across this source, WordlyWays, for American Literature by someone from these boards. Her lesson plans look like they have some good content, and she's offering Skype classes this year, at a great price.  However, I have no personal BTDT experience with the classes or lesson plans.

I just saw that source this morning, too, and was impressed with what I saw on her site.  I did contact her to ask about classes and/or other offerings.  

Thank you to everyone who replied!  I will look into your recommendations!

Check with your library system and see if they have any online tutoring. Ours does, it's free and covers every subject. They have a Writing Lab that lets you upload a paper with the description of the assignment, and they return it in a couple of days with input. Great for that objective viewpoint! 

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend listening to SWB's literary analysis lecture. It's only $4 and you can download it right now at: 

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/what-is-literary-analysis-when-why-and-how-should-i-teach-it-mp3/