Menu

How can I use essential oils as personal fragrance?

ktgrok

I am loving using them in a diffuser for the home. Today I used a blend of sweet orange, cinnamon, clove, and rosemary. Yummy! But I'd love to wear some on my body in some way, at least sometimes. Is there an easy way to do this at home without a bunch of expensive equipment or ingredients? Can I put some in my regular lotion or whatever?

I use an amber and sandlewood on my skin as a fragrance.  I do find it doesn't last as long as a perfume though.

I love cinnamon, but I've been told it irritates skin.

ETA, I did used to add essential oil to massage lotion.  I was told then not to use cinnamon.

Edited by goldberry

As goldberry stated, I'd be careful w/ the "hot" oils (like cinnamon). Regarding the sweet orange, be careful w/ citrus oils (among others) and photosensitivity. 

ugh, you re right! I remember my sister getting sun poisoning from lemon juice on her hands. 

Hmm..isn't there a necklace I've heard of, that you can put oils in and wear? Like a personal diffuser, lol? Maybe that would let me use the ones that aren't good right on the skin?

I like mixing them with a little neutral lotion so I can apply a smaller amount. Some oils, even in small quantities can be very overpowering to people around you. The diffuser jewelry is usually too strongly smelling for me.

I used to wear musk essential oil right on my skin, and it was fine.  It's among the ones that are not irritating, though.

Do you have a Renaissance Faire near you?  Often IME they have vendors of essential oils who can advise you about which ones are irritating on contact.

Also, this is a friend of mine's Etsy shop.  She does beautiful, high quality work, and incorporates a basalt piece within each of her pendants and rings, so you can put a drop of oil on it and it will soak it up and then diffuse it all day.  Gorgeous stuff.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDreamCollector#about

• Like 1

You can buy some of the expensive floral oils that are already diluted in jojoba so they are safer to use on skin. You can add pure oils to a base like unscented Badger Balm, or make your own with things like coconut oil, cocoa butter and beeswax, or even just use palm oil shortening. Or you can order hydrosols in a spray bottle- but they have to live in the fridge. I love Wyndmere neroli hydrosol.

http://www.wyndmerenaturals.com/HYDRO.htm

You can put oils into a spray bottle with water, witch hazel or alcohol and spritz your clothing, but you have to shake the bottle before you spray. Zum also makes these, called Zum Mist.

You can mix them into a little vodka and water and make a true perfume.  Or Everclear, if you're in a state that allows it.  But don't use real citrus oils on your skin, only clothing you don't mind staining (citrus will cause a chemical burn with the sun), and please be cognizant of the ones that smell like currants to most people but smells like cat pee to some of us.  Blech.  And whatever that stinky young living immunity mix is - it triggers a migraine every single time my friend wears it around me, which she does, every time she has the sniffles.