Menu

s/o Electric Bill: How Low Can You Go?

earthyfamily

So our electric/water bill is unbearably high. This month it was about $400. Our home was built in '55 and I think probably has really poor insulation. A few nights ago it was 83 outside and it was 79 inside, and the air conditioner had not stopped running in hours.  We rent though, so there's not a lot we can do about it as far as insulation/windows goes.

Does anyone have any really amazing tips to keep cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter (gas) without spending quite so much? I also feel like we're really good at conserving water, but we used 10 CCF last month...crazy.

Thanks!

We added extra insulation to our ceiling/attic space and it made a MASSIVE difference, and this is in a house that was only ten years old when we bought it. Cut out winter heating in half. Caulking around the windows to seal them better also helps, as do more energy efficient appliances, including tankless water heaters.

The above would have to be managed by a landlord in your situation, but may be worth mentioning to them nonetheless.

We deal with our high costs in the winter, not summer, but even in the summer the improvements helped make the house much more temperature stable.

Edited by Arctic Mama

We added extra insulation to our ceiling/attic space and it made a MASSIVE difference, and this is in a house that was only ten years old when we bought it. Cut out winter heating in half. Caulking around the windows to seal them better also helps, as do more energy efficient appliances, including tankless water heaters.

The above would have to be managed by a landlord in your situation, but may be worth mentioning to them nonetheless.

We deal with our high costs in the winter, not summer, but even in the summer the improvements helped make the house much more temperature stable.

I've wondered about this. Our ceiling has WAAAAAY too little insulation (about 1/3 of what would be required today), even according to my dad who thinks building regulations are nutso-too-much. BUT our heat and electricity bills are already pretty low, IMO. 

Having a front loader saves a lot of energy because it takes a lot less energy to swirl around a little bit of water than gallons and gallons of water.

Emily

If the AC is running nonstop at that temp, the landlord needs to repair it.

Some things you can do yourself: add temporary insulation to windows. Rigid foam insulation works well. Cut to the size of the window, duct tape cut edges, and cover in fabric if it will face the street.

Blackout curtains

Add weather stripping for any cracks around doors/windows.

If the humidity is low, a window unit evaporative cooler can reduce the cost.

If the A/C unit is accessible, running a mister at the intake can improve efficiency, as can making sure the filters are changed regularly.

If it cools off at night and you have adequate screens, open windows and use fans instead of using A/C.

• Like 2

Where we live, the power company has a free program where they will come by and check your house's efficiency by sticking a thing in the front door and sucking out all the air (or something like that).  Then they seal up places that need sealing.  All for free.  Check into it.  It wasn't actually the power company that did ours, it was a local a/c company, but I think we got to them through the power company.

• Like 2

So our electric/water bill is unbearably high. This month it was about $400. Our home was built in '55 and I think probably has really poor insulation. A few nights ago it was 83 outside and it was 79 inside, and the air conditioner had not stopped running in hours.  We rent though, so there's not a lot we can do about it as far as insulation/windows goes.

Does anyone have any really amazing tips to keep cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter (gas) without spending quite so much? I also feel like we're really good at conserving water, but we used 10 CCF last month...crazy.

Thanks!

Are you all electric?  That's twice mine and I like my house meat-locker cold.    Maybe your rates are high.   We use little water too, especially since the kids are at school. 

We do have a large tree strategically placed to block all afternoon sun.  That helps, I think. If you don't have one, plant one. 

Changing the windows made a huge difference in our bill, but I suspect it will be difficult to convince your landlord to put that kind of money into their property.

I'll second checking with the electric company to see if they have a program to check for efficiency.  Ours does.  They will probably have your best tips.

I also agree that your AC probably needs service if it's on non-stop.  If the electric company agrees, I think you'll have ammo to take to your landlord.

Other thoughts that we use... we open our windows at night and use a box fan to blow out the hot air upstairs.  Sending it out automatically pulls cooler air in through the other open windows.  Fans are less expensive to run than AC.  We're rural so the noise of the Great Outdoors doesn't bother us at all - no traffic noise and we love critter sounds.

With the a/c running all the time sounds like it needs a repair. 

Summer

-- keep curtains closed especially when the sun is shining straight in

-- make sure the a/c isn't blowing up behind curtains -- I use vent deflector to make sure air is blowing out to room not up

-- put a box fan in front of the a/c vents - will carry the air cooler

-- check around window frames, if feel air do a thin strip of caulk

-- use oven less, do more cooking on stove top or crockpot

Winter

-- open curtains on sunny days

-- hang heavy blankets or quilts over windows that seem to leak air more

-- use the defectors - pushes heat out in the room 

-- light a few candles, give the allusion of warmth

-- use draft stoppers on window ledges

Both

-- use insulated curtains

-- use draft stoppers at doors

I've wondered about this. Our ceiling has WAAAAAY too little insulation (about 1/3 of what would be required today), even according to my dad who thinks building regulations are nutso-too-much. BUT our heat and electricity bills are already pretty low, IMO.

Having a front loader saves a lot of energy because it takes a lot less energy to swirl around a little bit of water than gallons and gallons of water.

Emily

My husband is a structural engineer and has a better understanding of r value than most - our house had enough, uncompacted, to meet the minimum required by code for our zone. More is definitely better and we paid back the cost of the insulation in two months of savings on our bill. Pink fiberglass is cheap and effective. It really was like nighf and day, and even in the summer the whole house has a more stable temperature now.

And like Creekland, we use a box fan in the upstairs window since our home doesn't have AC (most in Alaska except newer custom homes do not) and it is cheap and effective.

We've mentioned it to our landlord a number of times, we've lived here for almost 12 years, he doesn't care in the least. The windows I know were replaced in the '90's and the a/c and heat unit outside was replaced about 5 years ago. Our house is only about 2,200 square feet and we do hang all of our laundry to dry. We are all electric in the summer and gas heat in the winter. I looked it up and our rates are 9.061 c/kh for electric and $1.027 per therm for gas. We pay a flat rate each month of $65 for all the service fees together, plus whatever the cost is of what we use. I wish we could leave our windows open at night, but even though we live in the what's considered one of the safest neighborhoods as far as crime goes, break ins are a problem.  I will check into the energy programs and see if they can come evaluate what our problem is. I hate paying so much to literally be sweating in the summer and wearing a coat (not exaggerating) in the winter, in our house.

A few things you can do as a renter:

Change out your light bulbs to LED

Unplug unused appliances, especially anything that generates heat (coffee pot with a clock, computer when you aren't using it, etc)

Can you install ceiling fans?

Close blinds on south facing Windows in summer, north facing (or all) in winter

Use the exhaust fan when you cook to draw heat out of the house

BBQ or cook outside

Sorry to hear your landlord doesn't care. Those are big bills you are getting stuck with. If you think there's any way he might be interested, most states offer big incentives to weatherize homes.