Menu

Wayfarers: Notebooking/record-keeping

mohop

I am going to start Wayfarers this year.  How do others do their notebooking and/or record-keeping?  Do you use a binder divided by subjects, and just included the narration or other student work related to that subject in that section?  That seems to be the obvious answer, but I didn't know if there were some particular qualities of this curriculum that would affect how this would actually play out.  

I don't know if there is a right way and I'm sure there are better ways but here's what we do. My kids each have a spiral notebook. In it they draw a picture and write about something they learned or found most interesting in our reading from that day. My oldest (4th) is required to write one quality paragraph each day but as the year goes on I might increase his required output. My youngest (2nd but with a learning disability in writing/reading) I assist in writing a paragraph. We do a sort of IEW style key word outline and then do a hamburger paragraph.

After I started that they updated with notebook pages for science so I've since added those and we do the vocab plus experiment pages.

If I were starting now I'd do the science notebook pages for vocab, experiments, and their science narration then I'd have another 3 ring binder with history narration. Something with a space for a drawing and lines for writing. It would look better than the spiral does. Plus I could add their geography through art stuff.

• Like 1

We have lightly started our year, and at the moment just having individual sheets of paper, includings from accompanying notebooks, but I am debating how to organize it all. I might put completed work in file folders, but I also really love the idea of a study main lesson book and just having the kids do their work in that. Anyway, interested to see if others have ideas. It is such an enjoyable program.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  I have another Wayfarers question:  Regarding the science experiment supplies that are listed in the "Signposts," are they for the Van Cleeve books or for the GSA books?  

I am expecting my copy of Wayfarers Vol. 3 term 1 to arrive this week, but I want to go ahead and start planning as much as possible.  

I am reviving my own thread to ask another Wayfarers question:  The intro pages say the book uses the 50 States and Where to Find  Them curriculum for US Geography.  But I don't actually see it anywhere on the daily schedule.  What am I missing?  

Also, I remember that Barefoot Raggamuffin used to maintain a fb page where you could ask questions, but it seems to have been deactivated.  Does anyone know how ask questions directly to the author?