Menu

Transfer Applications with new FAFSA opening and what is the coalition app?

elegantlion

Ds is finalizing his transfer applications list and I wondered if we should get applications in BEFORE the Fafsa Oct 1 deadline. 

Can he add schools to his FAFSA later? A least two schools he'll need to wait until grades for this fall semester before he meets their application criteria for his major. I wasn't sure if we should list them on the FAFSA in October or add them in December. 

I've also seen the coalition application listed as an alternate to the Common app. Is this new? Any opinions on it? 

Edited by elegantlion

I think there is some confusion here.  FAFSA does not have an October deadline. 

For the 2016-2017 school year, the FAFSA became available in January 2016. 

For the 2017-2018 school year, the FAFSA will become available in October 2016. It is available earlier but will not be DUE any earlier.

You can always add schools to the FAFSA later. That is not a problem.  Check with the specific schools to find out when their financial deadlines are.

Is your student transferring at the end of the school year just starting, so will be entering the new school in Fall 2017 or is he looking to transfer mid-year, for Spring 2017?

I think there is some confusion here.  FAFSA does not have an October deadline. 

For the 2016-2017 school year, the FAFSA became available in January 2016. 

For the 2017-2018 school year, the FAFSA will become available in October 2016. It is available earlier but will not be DUE any earlier.

You can always add schools to the FAFSA later. That is not a problem.  Check with the specific schools to find out when their financial deadlines are.

Is your student transferring at the end of the school year just starting, so will be entering the new school in Fall 2017 or is he looking to transfer mid-year, for Spring 2017?

Duh, should not type when tired. Not the deadline, but the opening. He'll be applying for Fall 2017 and we're watching financial aid deadlines. I didn't know if there was talk of the earlier opening affecting how colleges are dealing with financial aid in general. Sorry if this sounds confusing, it's clear in my head,. :coolgleamA:

Unless there's a school on your list that requires it, I would avoid being in the "guinea pig" year for the Coalition App. The Common App is not exactly fun, but at least it's been up and running for a while (and is accepted by a lot more colleges).

And, yes, just make a list of the school deadlines and meet them. If you do your FAFSA early, you'll get your EFC back early which can be helpful for financial planning, but as long as you get everything done by the school deadlines, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Yes, thankfully the FAFSA just opens in October, no deadline.

I plan to take care of it over the Thanksgiving Break for my two so it's done, and I can move on.

December is when I finish up my business accounting, and then January and February will be for taxes.

• Like 1