Menu

Mason jar salad people -- how long will things keep?

happypamama

I got a bunch of square containers for storing salad ingredients for easy salad prep. How long should I expect things to keep nicely in the fridge in said containers once they're cooked and/or sliced?

Cucumbers?

Sliced mushrooms?

Hard boiled eggs (peeled and sliced)

Cooked chicken

Cooked shrimp

Spinach

Jarred roasted red peppers (out of their jars and chopped)

Just trying to get an idea of how many times a week I need to prep stuff.

Cukes go bad quickly once cut around here. DH's lunches always usually contain fresh veggies and some dip, and I always sometimes do as much as I can the night before, but I cut the cucumbers up in the morning. I store hard boiled eggs (peeled, not sliced) in glassware, but not jars. We go through a dozen HBEs in a few days. Good quick, protein-rich snack or breakfast.

Your post reminded me of this post (last paragraph) and this follow up post. Took me a while to find them. I covet Container Store goodies. I posted these links in case you decide you need different containers. HTH.

Edited by Angie in VA

Glass Mason jars actually keep salad foods fresher for longer, especially if you pack the food in very tightly. There is more of an air-tight seal. Vegetables stored in plastic containers will not last as long, but can be fresh for several days.

I used to keep a large container in the fridge that had all my smaller containers of salad fixings, including cut up veggies, washed and dried lettuce, nuts and seeds and homemade dressings. I'd just pull out the large container and have a mini salad bar where my family could fix their own.

Makes me think I should do that again. We ate so much better then!