Menu

Something that will sleep two adults and takes up very little room

ksr5377

Our new home has a small downstairs bedroom that we'll be using for our school room.  I would like to come up with a way to also use it as a guest room when my parents stay with us.  My mom is disabled, so this way they would have a private space but still be on the first floor.   The room is about 12'x14', so not too small, but not a large first floor master either.  I would also like to fit two desks and 3 bookshelves in this room.  There is a closet as well.  My ideal solution would be something that we could use to sit and read on when it's not being used to sleep.  I'm also open to using the closet in some way.  As of right now I'm thinking about taking the doors off and putting a desk in there and shelves up the rest of the wall for storage.  DH likes the idea of hiding a Murphy bed in there.  However, I also want whatever we go with to be comfortable enough for them to not hate sleeping there, so they enjoy their stay and don't dread coming here!

• Like 1

We use the IKEA Hemnes Daybed for that: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30080316/

Normally, it is a twin bed for my daughter with two stacked twin sized mattresses.. But when we have guests, we pull it out and it becomes a double. We use two twin size sheets on the individual beds and a full size sheet on top (Or maybe it is queen. I'd have to check).

My parents and in-laws have slept on it with no complaints and it is relatively easy to pull out and push in. (Heavy so I prefer my husband to do it, but I can, even on carpetting, when necessary)

Here's another idea:

we have a twin-sized murphy bed in our school room because my mom frequently comes by herself to stay with us. We also have a foam mattress that we store vertically between a bunkbed and the wall. When my dad comes with my mom, he sleeps on the floor on a high quality mattress and she sleeps on the murphy bed. Since he only comes for 5-10 nights per year, MAX, and she comes up to 4 or 5 weeks per year, it makes a lot more sense for us. Even queen-sized murphy beds take up a good deal of space, though I can't say I haven't fantasized about one!

Emily

There are 'better quality' very thick air mattresses now that come in large sizes and are remarkably comfortable.  They have built up sides so you can sit down on them, and they are much deeper so you don't feel like you're sleeping on the floor.  Target has excellent ones with automatic pumps included.  You just make them up with normal sheets and blankets.  It's amazing.

They ARE a little smaller than the size that they say, so definitely get a queen or a California king for two people.  Great for company, and great for when your flotation bed has a leaky tube and you can't figure out which one it is a for a really long time but you have to sleep somewhere so you flop one of these babies on the living room floor.  Not that I would, um, know that personally. 

If your mom is disabled then I'm guessing the height of a sofa bed will not be convenient. The IKEA Hermes day bed should suit you better. IKEA sells a mattress for it that folds open into a (fairly thin) double bed mattress for when you pull out the extension.

We bought a futon for our school/guest room. We upgraded the base mattress and it's really comfy. Also we got the queen size. Works great as a couch to hang out and read books on, and as an extra bed when I need to separate the kids due to sickness or extra tiredness or something.

We also have the Hemnes day bed; I love it, because there are drawers under it that allow it to be not only a good relaxing area for the kids, but useful storage for the 05% of the time it's not being used a spare bed. That being said, you can't have a thick mattress on it since you usually have to double stack the mattresses when it's in couch/twin mode. A Murphy bed would likely be more comfortable.

• Like 1

Oh, I hadn't even thought about a sleeper sofa being so low! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll check out the Hemnes and see about the Murphy beds. I didn't realize you could make the Hemnes into a double bed, that would be more comfortable than a twin, even for one. My Dad only comes about half the time she does so I'm also thinking about the two bed option. Half the time he's here he ends up falling asleep on the couch watching TV anyways.😊

Oh, I hadn't even thought about a sleeper sofa being so low! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll check out the Hemnes and see about the Murphy beds. I didn't realize you could make the Hemnes into a double bed, that would be more comfortable than a twin, even for one. My Dad only comes about half the time she does so I'm also thinking about the two bed option. Half the time he's here he ends up falling asleep on the couch watching TV anyways.😊

It pulls out to a king, actually! It's a huge bed.

It pulls out to a king, actually! It's a huge bed.

The Hemnes will pull out to form a king? B...b...but, IKEA says it can be a twin or a double (and a sofa, and storage).

Please tell me the secret to the king, is it sleeping sideways? Talk to me like I'm 4, please. 

Edited by Angie in VA

Yes, the Hemnes pulls out to a king -- it's a twin in its daybed position, and then you pull out the extension that's the same size, so you end up laying two twin mattresses side by side.

IKEA calls it a "double" because, you know, Euro-speak....  :-)  For Americans, two twins = king!

Yes, the Hemnes pulls out to a king -- it's a twin in its daybed position, and then you pull out the extension that's the same size, so you end up laying two twin mattresses side by side.

IKEA calls it a "double" because, you know, Euro-speak....  :-)  For Americans, two twins = king!

Oh! So - when you pull it out, the 2nd mattress goes OVER the drawers (so the stuff can still stay in the drawers?). Oh, my goodness, I need one or 3 of these.

If you decide on a daybed, look at a daybed with a pop-up trundle. Some trundles just pull out to floor level and some pop-up to the height of the daybed.

That is what I was thinking. You can pop the trundle up and use it seoerately or as a king size bed.