Menu

How much was your electricity bill last month?

Janie Grace

At the current currency exchange rate, approximately USD$40.  We do not have any heating or air conditioning equipment. Most cooking is done with Propane gas, although we do have a 2 burner electric stove that my wife cooks certain things on and it is a backup, in case we run out of gas.  

Last two months was $50 but my home is only 865sqft. Usually we have a high bill of $50 per year but this year's summer was hot. We have central air-con but run a tabletop fan for bedtime if need be. Daytime we just escape to the library which is within walking distance.

When we lived in a 2,500sf house in a very hot (think 105F-110F), dry climate, it was $380-ish one summer. I scaled back by installing more fans.

Now, we are in a city that is about 5F cooler on the hottest days. In a house half the size and the highest we've paid is $140. Most months it's about $90 tops.

Edited by quark

Ours was $115.  We have a window AC unit downstairs, but we only run it sporadically and it has to be at least 80 degrees inside.  Otherwise our cooking and hot water are electric, and of course, we have computers, etc, but still - the AC (or heat) is what runs ours higher than normal.  When we don't need it at all our bill is around $70.

ETA - we do keep fans on almost continually when the weather is hot - also contributing to our higher bill, but significantly less than the AC would.

Edited by creekland

$95; we keep the ac at 78, but reduce the downstairs zone to 76 for a couple of areas in the evening, during cooking and hang out in the living room time. Just under 2500 sq feet. We've only been in this place a few months. It was lower than expected so I've conceded to drop it to 76 for other time periods when dh is home and see how much the bill goes up. As long as it is still within what budgeted for, that'll be great. Note that our units are brand new and our home is extremely energy efficient.

Our bill was $263. Everyone's bill look so tiny considering our summer months are cheapest. Even not using electricity for heat we still cook inside more in winter and need more light since in Alaska there are few daylight hours November to February. August is a mild month for us but all our heat is natural gas anyway as is our hot water tank and our clothes dryer. I'm trying to figure out why ours is so high. We mostly use computers, light bulbs, microwave, and an electric oven/stove but I turn on the oven maybe 3 times a week in summer, if that. We often grill, make skillet type dishes etc. There is the coffee pot too but we don't use curling irons, hair dryers, or clothing irons really. I'm curious, could you post the number of kilowatt hours you used in addition to your bill.

We used 705 kw hours and paid $227.71.

Last month? $185. This month, after they did a new 3-month average for "budget billing"? $385. This is for a 1800 sq ft. townhouse, with a single-story neighbor attached on one side and a two-story neighbor attached on the other.

Our bill was $263. Everyone's bill look so tiny considering our summer months are cheapest. Even not using electricity for heat we still cook inside more in winter and need more light since in Alaska there are few daylight hours November to February. August is a mild month for us but all our heat is natural gas anyway as is our hot water tank and our clothes dryer. I'm trying to figure out why ours is so high. We mostly use computers, light bulbs, microwave, and an electric oven/stove but I turn on the oven maybe 3 times a week in summer, if that. We often grill, make skillet type dishes etc. There is the coffee pot too but we don't use curling irons, hair dryers, or clothing irons really. I'm curious, could you post the number of kilowatt hours you used in addition to your bill.

We used 705 kw hours and paid $227.71.

I'm in Alaska too (the valley - we have MEA) and I already recycled my bill showing the kwh used. My total was $168. Our main drains are computers, the well pump, kitchen appliances, and maybe our laundry (I think they are electric, although we have a gas furnace). I think our electricity is pretty high up here. Now if we had wind turbines, they would pay for themselves pretty quickly!

I found this info on last year's rates:

Residential/Single Phase Charges

Facility Charge1: $5.65 per month

First 1300 kWh: $0.11573 per kilowatt-hour

Over 1300 kWh: $0.09403 per kilowatt-hour

COPA: $0.06910 per kilowatt-hour

Regulatory Charge: $0.000754 per kilowatt-hour

Seasonal Service $67.80 per year

• Like 1

$167 - we're on a monthly budget plan with our electric company, so it's always the same. Our actual charges were $112. We needed the AC units a fair bit because of the humidity. When it gets humid here, our whole house gets slimy and disgusting, so we need them to keep things dry. 

Rate: E01 Residential

New Charges/Adjustments Customer Charge: 31 Days @ $0.433 $13.42

609 Total KWH @ $0.14844 $90.40

Energy Efficiency Charge 609 x $0.01281 $7.80

Power Adjustment -$0.02

Electric Assistance Program Fee $1.00

New Actual Charges $112.60

$415 for 1100 square feet. We rent, and the utter and Co pet lack of maintenance is starting to show up in various ways like this. It's made us very seriously consider moving

This kind of thing is the pits.  I've had some really lousy rentals with insanely high utility bills because of lack of maintenance on the furnace and no effort to insulate. And as the tenant its completely out of your control.

$202.58. Just got the next bill and it is $201.47. Central air, about 1,600 sq ft (not sure) in five bedroom, two story old house from 1906. Note ComEd sends us reprimands every so often noting that we use far more energy than the neighbors. Well, duh! Neighbors have smaller families, smaller houses, no a/c, and the only other similar sized house the couple have no kids at home and both work during the day. Here, rarely does everyone leave the house so the a/c has to stay on. We do at least one load of laundry a day, and each day run the dishwasher and at least two or three people use hot water for a shower. Yeah, we DO use more energy!

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

What timing.  We just got the latest bill in today and it's $95 for this month, down from the $115 I reported for last month. 

I'm content with anything around $100, but less is always better, of course.

We have a 3/1 two story + basement and attic single family.  Fortunately, it can stay at 80 or lower without AC if the temps get into the 60s at night because we open windows for natural AC and have nice shade trees.  Most nights it gets into the 60s, though this year there have been too many where it hasn't, including last night when it only got down to 74.   :glare:

$202.58. Just got the next bill and it is $201.47. Central air, about 1,600 sq ft (not sure) in five bedroom, two story old house from 1906. Note ComEd sends us reprimands every so often noting that we use far more energy than the neighbors. Well, duh! Neighbors have smaller families, smaller houses, no a/c, and the only other similar sized house the couple have no kids at home and both work during the day. Here, rarely does everyone leave the house so the a/c has to stay on. We do at least one load of laundry a day, and each day run the dishwasher and at least two or three people use hot water for a shower. Yeah, we DO use more energy!

Yeah, we get the nasty grams from ComEd too.  We're home all day and all the neighbors work.  And also, I keep thinking....shouldn't ComEd be thanking us instead of chastising us? I mean, they're selling electricity and we're using a lot of it. I can't imagine Pepsi sending us a letter telling us we're consuming more Pepsi than our neighbors. 

On that note- last month our bill was $300, and we have about 2500 square feet. House built in 1880. 

Wow, the variation is amazing, even controlling for size of house. I'm jealous of all of you who don't have to run AC in the summer. We live in a state where it would be impossible/dangerous to do that (it has been over 100 many days). Our house is VERY poorly insulated (it's a rental, so nothing we can do). On the upside, we have a well, so no water bill, and there is no gas bill either. 

• Like 1

Note ComEd sends us reprimands every so often noting that we use far more energy than the neighbors. Well, duh! Neighbors have smaller families, smaller houses, no a/c, and the only other similar sized house the couple have no kids at home and both work during the day. Here, rarely does everyone leave the house so the a/c has to stay on. We do at least one load of laundry a day, and each day run the dishwasher and at least two or three people use hot water for a shower. Yeah, we DO use more energy!

These are all great points. We have a family of 7, so that means more washer/dryer use, more showers, more dishwasher runs, etc. And we also have some people home all day, so yeah -- it is different. 

• Like 3

Ours was $370. I'm in shock. It was super hot, but still. DANG.

$360.  The A/C made it about $200 more than our average.

We do a lot of laundry (5-6 loads) but most of it goes out on the line (dryer is electric) and our water heater is propane, so that helps, definitely.

Edited by BlsdMama

Wow, the variation is amazing, even controlling for size of house. I'm jealous of all of you who don't have to run AC in the summer. We live in a state where it would be impossible/dangerous to do that (it has been over 100 many days). Our house is VERY poorly insulated (it's a rental, so nothing we can do). On the upside, we have a well, so no water bill, and there is no gas bill either.

But really it isn't telling us anything without mentioning kw hours. My bill is bigger than many but according to google I'm using less than average kw hours. My bill before I weatherized and switched over a bunch of things was close to $500 in the winter months which is when Alaskans need the most.

Yeah, we get the nasty grams from ComEd too.  We're home all day and all the neighbors work.  And also, I keep thinking....shouldn't ComEd be thanking us instead of chastising us? I mean, they're selling electricity and we're using a lot of it. I can't imagine Pepsi sending us a letter telling us we're consuming more Pepsi than our neighbors. 

On that note- last month our bill was $300, and we have about 2500 square feet. House built in 1880. 

Same here.  We have a big house, are home all day, and it's horribly insulated with only window/portable A/C units, etc.  Thanks for letting me know that we're in the top 3% of energy users, it helps.   :thumbdown:

• Like 1

$177---about 1700 sf house (ranch with bonus room over garage), electric a/c (set on 73--zoned, so the room over garage is turned off during the day), dryer, stove but gas water heater.

It's been really hot and humid, so I'm not expecting August's bill to be a lot better. Temps haven't been over 100 as often as in some years, but the humidity is high, so the heat index has frequently been over 100.  We're higher than for the same time last year, but I am at a season of my life where I randomly generate my own personal summer, so I'm keeping it cooler in the house. ;)  We do keep the heat lower in the winter to help compensate (about 64).

Edited by KarenNC