Menu

Do Mirado Black Warrior pencils still live up to their reputation? If not, then what?

ILiveInFlipFlops

We've finally used up all of the million "fashion" pencils someone gave us years ago to my satisfaction, and now I get to buy actual reliable pencils without feeling like a spendthrift  :hurray: The school supply sales aren't that great around here this year, so I think I'm just going to invest in something high-quality, and I'm wondering if the Mirados are still considered the best.

If not, then what do you recommend? In particular, we want something with good-quality erasers!

Thanks!

I buy the big box of Arrow pencil-top erasers from Amazon (the last box lasted us like 4 years) and I put those on our pencils. I actually have a bunch of some otherwise-good "Earth Write" green pencils that have hideous erasers. I mean, they are just awful. For those, as soon as I grab a new pencil out of the box, I pop off the offensive eraser and stick on one of those Arrow caps.

I also have yellow Ticonderogas, silver Ticonderoga Noirs, and Mirado Black Warrior. To me, they are interchangeable. I like the texture on the Black Warriors a little better, but whatever.

Now if you want to go fancy and exotic, look at getting a box of Tombow Mono pencils - and if you get wooden pencils, get a ratcheting hand sharpener! Or the Kuru Toga mechanical pencil that automatically rotates the lead for you. Or the Zebra Del Guard which protects the lead and allows you to write with a heavy hand! Or even the Uni Jetstream 2&1 with two colors of ink and a mechanical pencil all in one! [Our summer Japanese exchange student brought me office supplies - I am in dork heaven over here].

• Like 4

I buy the big box of Arrow pencil-top erasers from Amazon (the last box lasted us like 4 years) and I put those on our pencils. I actually have a bunch of some otherwise-good "Earth Write" green pencils that have hideous erasers. I mean, they are just awful. For those, as soon as I grab a new pencil out of the box, I pop off the offensive eraser and stick on one of those Arrow caps.

I also have yellow Ticonderogas, silver Ticonderoga Noirs, and Mirado Black Warrior. To me, they are interchangeable. I like the texture on the Black Warriors a little better, but whatever.

Now if you want to go fancy and exotic, look at getting a box of Tombow Mono pencils - and if you get wooden pencils, get a ratcheting hand sharpener! Or the Kuru Toga mechanical pencil that automatically rotates the lead for you. Or the Zebra Del Guard which protects the lead and allows you to write with a heavy hand! Or even the Uni Jetstream 2&1 with two colors of ink and a mechanical pencil all in one! [Our summer Japanese exchange student brought me office supplies - I am in dork heaven over here].

I really do NOT want to get fancy and exotic, but I am easily tempted, so cut that out! :lol:

I've been trying to sell my kids on the pencil cap erasers for years now (the erasers on those fashion pencils might as well have been made of plastic, for pete's sake!), but they are over it. They want pencil actual pencil erasers that work. The pencil cap erasers we had slid around and popped right off if you erased too vigorously. I'm sure we'll need them at some point, though, so I'll look at the Arrows if you think they stay on well and erase cleanly.

ETA: Ack! They're all called Arrow or Arrowhead erasers. Did you mean the Papermate brand? Or did you just mean the type of eraser in general? 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I really do NOT want to get fancy and exotic, but I am easily tempted, so cut that out! :lol:

I've been trying to sell my kids on the pencil cap erasers for years now (the erasers on those fashion pencils might as well have been made of plastic, for pete's sake!), but they are over it. They want pencil actual pencil erasers that work. The pencil cap erasers we had slid around and popped right off if you erased too vigorously. I'm sure we'll need them at some point, though, so I'll look at the Arrows if you think they stay on well and erase cleanly.

ETA: Ack! They're all called Arrow or Arrowhead erasers. Did you mean the Papermate brand? Or did you just mean the type of eraser in general? 

Yes, the PaperMate Arrowhead cap erasers! They work really well and stay put. I promise.

I've had cheap novelty ones, and I agree with your kids that those are terrible. ;)

• Like 3

YES to the Papermate Arrowhead caps.  They're great.  

I didn't find the Mirado Warrior pencils lived up to the hype.  I bought a big box of Ticonderogas at Costco and they've been better than anything else so far.  I hate novelty pencils.  My kids always come home with them from the dentist.  I throw them in the trash at the slightest provocation.  

Don't even get me started on kids who sharpen the pencil from both ends. 

• Like 1

I really really like USA Gold, which are easy to find in Walmart and Target right now.

You will need some good eraser caps if you use them, because the pencils last forever. I first bought USA Gold pencils three years ago and we are still on the same package!!! (We only use them for homeschool - the kids keep any junky novelty pencils in their rooms)

• Like 2

I liked Ticonderoga's, bought the Warrior hype and the Warriors, but still like the Ticonderogas better.  I wonder if it is the paint color; if I am not mistaken, they are made by the same company.  :0)

Overall, I like Ticonderoga's more than Warrior's; but, I like each for different purposes.

The Mirado Black Warrior writes very smoothly and the round shaft is non-obtrusive. I mildly prefer it for immersive writing. So for any essays or non-fiction where I can think as fast as I can write it is great... though frankly I would probably pick a gel pen or fountain pen for that application.

Ticonderoga's are slightly scratchier and have a traditional hexagonal shaft. I prefer that for math or science or anything where I can write faster than I can think. It gives me pleasant haptic feedback without distracting me from thinking about what comes next. Likewise, I preferred the older version of the Miquon books on the rougher paper to the new slicker RR printed version. For colored pencils I prefer the Lyra groove triangular pencils with dot cutouts to standard round pencils.

As far as erasers, both are OK not great. I don't really use pencil erasers much and discourage the kids from using them. We use papermate white pearl erasers. The pink pearls are adequate... the generic pink pearls suck... the  rubber or gum erasers are better but a little spendy.

• Like 1

They're not as great as the vintage ones were. My current non-mechanical favorite are Staedler Rally, but my kids think they're too soft. Staedtler Rally Graphite #2 Pencil, 12-Each (9122-2B12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TUGZQK/ One prefers these Ninja pencils International Arrivals Ninja Black Wood Pencils, 12-Count (128-78) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8ELIGS/ (which do write very nicely!), and the other loves this mechanical Pentel Twist-Erase III Automatic Pencil with 2 Eraser Refills, 0.9mm, Assorted Barrels, 2 Pack (QE519BP2-K6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047CP6SI/, which was my favorite through college and law school.

• Like 1

They're not as great as the vintage ones were. My current non-mechanical favorite are Staedler Rally, but my kids think they're too soft. Staedtler Rally Graphite #2 Pencil, 12-Each (9122-2B12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TUGZQK/ One prefers these Ninja pencils International Arrivals Ninja Black Wood Pencils, 12-Count (128-78) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8ELIGS/ (which do write very nicely!), and the other loves this mechanical Pentel Twist-Erase III Automatic Pencil with 2 Eraser Refills, 0.9mm, Assorted Barrels, 2 Pack (QE519BP2-K6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047CP6SI/, which was my favorite through college and law school.

Having used them, I think the Rally's are about the same smoothness as the Mirado's but a little softer... ie they dull faster. I know lots of folks like mechanical pencils, but I've never found one I like... maybe a lead holder in a protractor or such but not in a writing pencil.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Since I have the opportunity, I may try out a few things and see what we like best. And I forgot all about USA Gold! We got a pack nearly free one year and I did really like them. I can't buy much that's made in the US, but at least I can buy pencils :D I've added some Ticonderogas to my list along with the Mirados and USA Gold and the Papermate Arrowheads, and I'll look into all the options listed here as well. If they're not too expensive, I'll give them a shot. It's so nice to be able to look forward to quality supplies for a change :)

• Like 1