Menu

What size bed for girl?

Janeway

Daughter is turning 5 yrs old. She is small, only about 32 pounds. But she still just has a mattress and boxspring with frame. There is a bed I like at Pottery Barn on sale right now. Twin is only $249. If I am going to commit to a bed, I would like it to last a while. Would you think a twin is best, or a full? I do not want to do queen as I have done that before and got very tired of all the space it took up. Or should I just skip it? This bed will have a footboard so not like she can hang off the end if she gets too tall. The twin is what is $249.

Twin and full are the same length; full is just wider. Twin XL is the same length as a queen. If your family is average-sized a regular twin should work for many years.

Mattress Dimensions
  • Twin: 38" x 74"
  • Twin Extra Long (XL): 38" x 80"
  • Full: 54" x 74"
  • Queen: 60" x 80"
  • King: 76" x 80"
  • California King: 72" x 84"
Mattress Sizes, What Size Mattress is best for me? - Sleep Country
www.sleepcountry.com/mattress-size-chart/education-mattress-size-chart.html

• Like 1

Most of my girls slept in twins til they moved out, and even then they slept in twins in college.  My son, on the other hand, started in a twin and then moved to a double, which was nice because at 6'3" a twin started feeling too small!  That double is now nice because if two of the girls are home at once and our home is crowded, they can share a bed.

I was in a twin until I moved out. My dc have been in twins and will be until they move out (2 are in college now). 

Here are some factors to consider:

How big is the room?

Do you expect to use her room for guests (will she sleep elsewhere when grandma comes)?

How tall can you predict her to be? (some teens do OK sleeping diagonally in a full)

• Like 1

A twin is the same length as a full. She will have a twin in her dorm room when she is adult sized.

Our king bed is actually two twins toether. (Started because that antique frame was two twins. Then realized how much easier to move with twins over king.)

Do you have a guest room or would her room double as a guest room? If so then I would get the full. Otherwise it does not matter at five. If it was high school and you were purchasing a mattress they will eventually move out with, that would be much different.

I was in a twin until I moved out. My dc have been in twins and will be until they move out (2 are in college now). 

Here are some factors to consider:

How big is the room?

Do you expect to use her room for guests (will she sleep elsewhere when grandma comes)?

How tall can you predict her to be? (some teens do OK sleeping diagonally in a full)

Her room will never double as a guest room. I think her room is 12 by 12. At best, she might have a friend spend the night at some point, but we have blow up mattress for that.

As for height, if she ends up as tall as me, she will be about 5'5. But right now, she is so little. So maybe she won't end up that tall.

Edited by Janeway

Her room will never double as a guest room. I think her room is 12 by 12. At best, she might have a friend spend the night at some point, but we have blow up mattress for that.

As for height, if she ends up as tall as me, she will be about 5'5. But right now, she is so little. So maybe she won't end up that tall.

5'5" isn't tall. Twin is reasonably comfortable for anyone under 6'. Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 2

My oldest is 14 and 5'7".  We just bought her a queen.  It is big for her room, but she loves it.  She was uncomfortable in the twin bed and wanted a bigger one.  She is a tosser and turner like me so maybe that was part of the issue.  She sleeps much better on the bigger bed.

Suzanne

I've done both full and twin for my girls - but they shared a room. 

why would a five year old need a full size bed?  why does a teen need a full size bed?  is it also going to be used as a guest room and she get's to camp out in the family rooom?

eta: I have three who range from 5'11 - just over 6'. none of them had an x-long bed until they lived in dorms or provided their own bed.  the full bedframe had been mine before we got a king.

Edited by gardenmom5

For sure Full if you have room. Queen is even better if her room is large enough. Full will allow for comfy sleep-overs for two girls/young women for many years to come. Q will only be needed once it's in use for an adult couple, so probably 15-20 years from now. :) 

Both my older teens moved up to Full by age 14 or so. Dd because we had plenty of space and a nice antique F size brass bed for her, and ds was way too tall for a Twin by age 14. (If height runs in your family, then I'd want go to Full by age 12 for a boy, for sure, if at all possible.) (My youngest is still in a Twin by choice, and she's tiny, so it may last for a while, but we also have lots of guest space with Q beds for sleepovers, etc.)

• Like 1

I grew up with a full bed at my dad's house. I had a twin at my mom's (primary residence until 8th grade) and my grandmother's. I hated sleeping on a twin. I always felt like I was going to fall off. I also slept like a windmill, so that probably had something to do with it. My younger kids have twin beds and teeny rooms. DS (who likely will be around 6'4") so far likes his twin, but we may switch him to a full bed soon. Oldest has a queen but we use her room for guests on the rare occasions we have some. 

Daughter is turning 5 yrs old. She is small, only about 32 pounds. But she still just has a mattress and boxspring with frame. There is a bed I like at Pottery Barn on sale right now. Twin is only $249. If I am going to commit to a bed, I would like it to last a while. Would you think a twin is best, or a full? I do not want to do queen as I have done that before and got very tired of all the space it took up. Or should I just skip it? This bed will have a footboard so not like she can hang off the end if she gets too tall. The twin is what is $249.

Twin.  I never needed more than a twin in all my growing up years. My husband did -- and his parents got him a queen when he did.

I so regret not getting a full for DS. He's got a twin and it's big enough for him, but it's not particularly fun to cuddle up with him and read books before bed (part of our nightly routine) anymore. He's 8 and higher than my shoulder now. And when DH comes in for nightly family snuggles, I'm always half falling off the bed. A full doesn't take up that much room, but is a lot more roomy.

Twin bed is fine. All my kids have had twins, except one son who I got an extra-long twin when he got too tall for the twin. Fuller beds too large for the smaller bedrooms in this house (we were lucky to get a queen in the "master" bedroom). So depends on how big the rooms are, what other furniture she has or will need in the room. .

Depends on your room, I think.

DD (20) has her own room - full

DD (14) and DD (12) share a room but it's big - 2 queens

DD (10) and DD (8) share room - both twins

DD (6), DD(5), and DD(3) share a room - twin over full and twin

I love the older girls having full or queen because they really do need the space.  Twins are just so narrow.  The queens are ideal but unless you have a LOT of floor space and don't mind sacrificing it to the beds, don't do it.

I think one girl in a room makes a full good sense as long as it doesn't make the room cramped.

FWIW - my 12yo is especially small and I prefer the bigger bed, but she is the world's biggest "collector" and so often she works on her bed either drawing or reading.

Edited by BlsdMama

If you are worried about height of your child later, I would go Twin XL. My older son is tall for his age and at age 8 is probably going to feel like he is out growing his bed in a few more years. So we are going to get a Twin XL for him and give his brother (small for his age) the twin. My baby is 3 and still sleeps fine in a crib so I don't see him ever needing the twin XL. 

My kids have gone from crib, to twin, to full about age 12yo.  A full is nice for when they have a friend over, that there is enough room for both kids.  We don't use dressers but our kids have always had desks in their rooms.  There havent been any problems with a full in a 12x12 room.  

We get the Malm beds from IKEA for them and put drawers underneath for clothes.

A twin is sufficient, but a full size is nice for kids.

The guys are 6ft in our family, dd17 and I are both 5'8".  DD9 is already 5'2" at 9yo.  So we are barely on the taller side of average. 

Edited by Tap

How tall do the people in your family tend to get?  I (5' 6") slept just fine on a twin well into college, but I know like a bit more room for my feet.  My kids will likely be as tall or taller than me, so when we last changed out their mattresses we switched them to twin XL beds.  

If you want this bed to last into her adulthood then plan for the height she is likely to reach.

Single (twin) or king single if you have them there (about 6 inches longer and wider) - I have one and ds7, ds9 and I can all squish into it. I am going to pass it on to ds9 who will be tall and get myself a double (sounds like full) when I convert the garage into another bedroom.

I grew up sleeping on a full bed, and because the room was small and my furniture was big, I had no floor space, other than a path to get from closet to dresser to door. When I would visit friends and see their rooms, I would wish that I had the floor room that they had. I never could play in my room. My siblings had twin sized beds. I don't think I enjoyed my bed any more than they enjoyed theirs.

And then when I grew up and got married, DH and I had to sleep on that full bed. It's not large enough for the two of us to share comfortably.

So I'd vote for a twin, so she has space in her room to play.

Huh. I always had a twin, that is, until I got a "princess"-sized bed in high school that I then used for two years of college - half of a queen and about 8" narrower than a twin. (My dad is a furniture maker and literally sawed a queen-sized foam mattress in half.)

I am 6 feet tall. I never thought about kids being too big for a twin.

Emily

Twin, because:
A. I would want the floor space and a twin is plenty big enough for a teenager/young adult.

B. I don't put guests in a full (couples I mean). Dh and I are so uncomfortably squashed on a full so I don't like to inflict that on others! (I'm sure for a tiny couple it would be fine but my dh is a big guy.)

Dd has a queen and that's where we put guests. All the other kids have twins.