Menu

Homecoming Dress Shopping

wimseycat

#5...

My DD is insisting on wearing a long dress to homecoming.  She says she doesn't care if she is the only one in a long dress, she loves the dress.  I'm a bit concerned...  Does anyone wear a long dress to homecoming?  I thought long was for prom.

I looked through my daughter's yearbook from last year and there were a few long dresses so it isn't that much of a stretch. I remember when dressing up for homecoming meant a sweater and a skirt. haha!

#5 is definitely the safest choice so far. The school instituted a new dress code this year and they are claiming it applies to formal wear as well. Everyone seems to be waiting to see what happens. They say no backless but how backless do they mean? There are so many styles out there that have some part of the back missing but not all of it.

#5. I'm ardently anti strapless. They very, very rarely are fitted well and leave the girls pulling and fiddling all night. I was always taught not to touch hair or underwear in public, so it bothers me to see the tugging and adjusting. I'm also anti short. They look nearly fine standing, and then the girls sit and they're super, super short. Also, most (not all!!) teen girls I've seen (mine included) don't sit ladylike enough that a short dress is appropriately worn.

It's supposed to be pretty, fun to wear, and fun to dance in. A young lady shouldn't spend her time fiddling with her dress or worrying about covering all the bits. #5 is pretty, not frumpy, and modest enough but would be great to dance in!

• Like 3

Yeah strapless is a pain. My son's gf always had her grandma sew straps onto her dresses. It is just one less thing to worrying about. One time we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner and it happened to be a Homecoming night. All of the girls had tight, strapless, short dresses on. They would pull up the top then pull down on the bottom. Clearly no one guided them that they would actually have to sit, get up, get out of car in these things. Such a shame!

Wow #5 is the most popular so far! Although I think it has the shortest hem in that group.

#5...

My DD is insisting on wearing a long dress to homecoming.  She says she doesn't care if she is the only one in a long dress, she loves the dress.  I'm a bit concerned...  Does anyone wear a long dress to homecoming?  I thought long was for prom.

I'd want long too.

Let her get the dress she'll want.

(though I, too, remember Homecoming as being more casual, I would not have felt out of place "too dressed up" as long as I was comfortable)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

We did order one of the five dresses for her to try on. I am only ordering one at a time because they have a 10% restocking fee for each returned dress. I guess that is to deter you from buying multiples to try and then send the rest back. We will not be deterred! haha

#5 definitely seems to be the most popular amongst moms so far! Any daughters out there that want to chime in?

Wow, I loved #4 until I went to the site and saw the back. That is a lot of skin showing, cumulatively, too much for me even though the front is really cute. 

I think I'd go with #5.

She is going to wear her hair down so I guess that would cover up most of the back but yes it does go down a bit further than I would like.

Most of the necklines would be a "no-go" for our family's rules and also most of them are too short. The turquoise high-necked one is actually my favorite but you said that the lining was weird.

Of the online ones, #1 and #4 have necklines that would be a "no". I'm okay with showing shoulders but not cleavage.

Have you considered getting a dress from Rent the Runway? If it's a dress that will only be worn once, I think it's the way to go.

This is the one that my almost 14 y.o. wants to wear to my brother's and SIL's hometown wedding reception but the neckline is a "no".

The dress your daughter wanted to wear reminds me of something Marilyn Monroe would have worn. :) I agree with you about the no cleavage. I am okay with shoulder showing as long as the rest is appropriate. Backs are trickier because there are so many different styles it is hard to have one rule about them.

​Thanks for the input! I am probably going to spend the rest of the night on Rent the Runway!

Have you considered getting a dress from Rent the Runway? If it's a dress that will only be worn once, I think it's the way to go.

This is the one that my almost 14 y.o. wants to wear to my brother's and SIL's hometown wedding reception but the neckline is a "no".

Ooh, this one is cool and different from the others..

https://www.renttherunway.com/shop/designers/nha_khanh/kenzie_dress

• Like 4

I like 2 & 3.

5 looks like a bridesmaid dress to me.

I don't like any of the three dresses in the second section. They all look weird to me, not what I see on girls around here for homecoming.

And for sizes, a size 1 isn't meant to be the next step after girls sizes. A girls 16 can be similar measurements to a junior 5, depending on brand. Mostly the junior sizes are cut for a taller, more maturely shaped body.

One of mine once had jeans in both a girls size 12 slim and junior size 00.

• Like 1

My 11 yr old wears a girls 10/12 in some things and a junior 00 or XS in others. I have a hard time imagining anyone post-pubescent who could wear a 00!

My SIL is Japanese and tiny, maybe 4'11" and ~90 lbs. She wears a size 00P or XXS in American clothes. But she would not be able to wear most girls' clothes because they wouldn't fit right in the hips & bust. She's not curvy compared to most adult women but she does clearly have a woman's body rather than a pre-pubescent girl's.

My 11 yr old wears a girls 10/12 in some things and a junior 00 or XS in others. I have a hard time imagining anyone post-pubescent who could wear a 00!

It is actually not terribly uncommon for very thin girls who don't have wide hips to wear a double zero. That is the size dd17 wore in 9th grade and I know her friends will borrow her jeans, so she isn't the only one. . Lots of girls don't have hips until they are closer to 18-20yo or some, even until pregnancy reshapes things a bit.  She currently wears shorts anywhere from a 00 to a size 4. She is 5'8".  

• Like 1

My SIL is Japanese and tiny, maybe 4'11" and ~90 lbs. She wears a size 00P or XXS in American clothes. But she would not be able to wear most girls' clothes because they wouldn't fit right in the hips & bust. She's not curvy compared to most adult women but she does clearly have a woman's body rather than a pre-pubescent girl's.

And girls clothes have a wider waist, they're more boxy.
  • Like 1

One of the dresses came yesterday and it fits. But now I really like some of the dresses on Rent the Runway so I will have to see how she feels about them. It is a little scaring not getting your dress until right before you need it and hoping it fits! :)

Which one? Pics?  

I have to say I didn't like 4 in the first picture, but it looks gorgeous on your daughter!  Very pretty!

No the pink version doesn't show off the flowers as much I think. Blue is definitely her color. Also, in the picture I took she does look kind of "busty" but she is not at all. She has very athletic build. I think halter style dresses always make one seem bustier though. I really like dress #1 but she is not interested.

Now we need to find some sort of navy blue low back bra haha :)

• Like 1

Not that you probably want more choices to wade through :) but we bought a few dresses from ModCloth for my dd for a big piano competition.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses

You can narrow the selection down on the sidebar by colour, length, size, and style.  Lots of their looks are kind of retro and they have other clothes besides dresses (and shoes!).

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone likes looking through lots and lots and LOTS of dresses. :)

ETA:  Forgot to add - they get new stuff in once or twice a week.  I swear every time I went to their website, there was new stuff to look at. :)

Edited by Dicentra

I posted a new picture of my daughter in Dress #4.

Really cute. I like it much better in the blue than the pink.

I'm curious what all the girls are wearing for underwear.

We have 2 weddings coming up, dd has one dress so far and it hits right above the knee and it could twirl up a little when she's dancing. I'm not really concerned with modesty, I just want her to be able to dance comfortably.

I usually wear slip shorts under dresses.

What's out there for skinny girls?

The blue one is pretty, but I would personally line the top (a seamstress could do this inexpensively) to make it more modest.

There is blue fabric underneath and then the lace over the top. I was thinking of sewing up the bottom of the keyhole a bit to make it dip down less. A seamstress might make a better job of it though. :)

Really cute. I like it much better in the blue than the pink.

I'm curious what all the girls are wearing for underwear.

We have 2 weddings coming up, dd has one dress so far and it hits right above the knee and it could twirl up a little when she's dancing. I'm not really concerned with modesty, I just want her to be able to dance comfortably.

I usually wear slip shorts under dresses.

What's out there for skinny girls?

My girls pretty much live in their "Booty shorts" when they wear dresses. Basically a black pair of spandex shorts. My daughter wears them under her tennis skirts and shorts too.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! Totally wonderful, young, sparkly, and nothing to tug on or have to pull up or whatever all night. 

I am really happy with the skirt length and contrast of the flowers with the navy blue. I don't think most girls will go with floral so I think she will be unique but not odd! lol

Not that you probably want more choices to wade through :) but we bought a few dresses from ModCloth for my dd for a big piano competition.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses

You can narrow the selection down on the sidebar by colour, length, size, and style.  Lots of their looks are kind of retro and they have other clothes besides dresses (and shoes!).

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone likes looking through lots and lots and LOTS of dresses. :)

ETA:  Forgot to add - they get new stuff in once or twice a week.  I swear every time I went to their website, there was new stuff to look at. :)

I LOVE modcloth and did look there. She didn't see anything she liked and because I buy stuff for myself there I think she thinks it's a "Mom" store... wah wah wah haha!

• Like 1

I am really happy with the skirt length and contrast of the flowers with the navy blue. I don't think most girls will go with floral so I think she will be unique but not odd! lol

Actually, I meant the one on rent the runway, lol...but I like the one you bought too. 

I just love the glittery nature of the one on rent the runway. (The Katie Spade one). It just looks super comfortable. 

Edited by ktgrok

Actually, I meant the one on rent the runway, lol...but I like the one you bought too. 

I just love the glittery nature of the one on rent the runway. (The Katie Spade one). It just looks super comfortable. 

Haha! Yes I would get the Kate Spade for myself it I had a reason!

I'd have her wear what fits well and is comfortable. There were a few cut choices. A skirt with some flare to it is easier to pull off in shorter lengths. They'll actually cover you when you sit as opposed to fitted skirts that ride up. I'd add blingy straps to any strapless dress that's in the running to avoid self conscious tugging.

• Like 1

I like #4 on her but I would eliminate the keyhole entirely. There's no need for that on a teen. I like the floral and the waist

I am trying to figure out how much of the keyhole I can sew up w/o her noticing. :) My youngest will probably narc on me so I will have to be stealth about it.