Menu

I am doing FLL 1/2 for the 4th time

Jennay

May I ask? Rather than a threadjack you may feel encouraged thru your answer :)

I'm in lesson 13 lvl 1 first time through... Obviously since you made it through several times, what are some good reasons for continuing / what were the outcomes you think kids got out of it?

Well, even though some of the repetition drives me crazy, I find that FLL lays a great foundation for grammar concepts for younger ones. The copywork and lack of worksheets has been just right for my kids. The memorization of definitions and lists in FLL 1/2 has really served to provide the "pegs" for their Latin study.

I must admit that this time through I am combining lessons quite liberally, we will skip a few of the poems, and I am having DD read through the picture narrations on her own.

• Like 5

I'm impressed! I love it in theory but in reality haven't been able to make it through even once.

I also must admit that the third child fizzled with halfway through the second grade portion and never finished. She is in 4th grade now and doing Easy Grammar - that style just works better for her.

• Like 2

I also must admit that the third child fizzled with halfway through the second grade portion and never finished. She is in 4th grade now and doing Easy Grammar - that style just works better for her.

Lol follow up question to my threadjack :) but maybe I helped you convince yourself ;)

I was wondering if easy grammar would work better for us, but not having experienced it, how would I know? in your experience how is it different or why did it work better for that child?

FTR, when I say that I thought my second time was going to kill me, I didn't mean specifically FLL. I meant teaching a second kid. Teaching EVERYTHING a second time was harder for me than the first...and I find teaching the very early grades specifically to be dull.  That is what I meant and what my friend meant. She thought her fourth time through elementary school was going to kill her, not FLL.  Her kids were all too old to use FLL.

My kids loooved FLL, it was so easy and quick with no writing. They liked memorizing, especially the poems. And yes, it did make Latin much, much easier.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

Lol follow up question to my threadjack :) but maybe I helped you convince yourself ;)

I was wondering if easy grammar would work better for us, but not having experienced it, how would I know? in your experience how is it different or why did it work better for that child?

Hmmmm, my 3rd just got so frustrated with all the memorization and not getting things "right." She'd rather have me explain something and go off to do a worksheet independently than sit with me and go through a scripted lesson.

She's just a different kind of learner. My first two love Latin and she hates it. I want her to enjoy being homeschooled so I am not making Latin or grammar with diagramming a hill to die on :)

• Like 1

I am on my fourth run through as well.

I still have one more to go after this one.....I don't think I can take it!

Having said that, if we have got to FLL at least that means we have finished with phonics and the dreaded alphabet. HATE teaching the alphabet!

• Like 3

Hmmmm, my 3rd just got so frustrated with all the memorization and not getting things "right." She'd rather have me explain something and go off to do a worksheet independently than sit with me and go through a scripted lesson.

She's just a different kind of learner. My first two love Latin and she hates it. I want her to enjoy being homeschooled so I am not making Latin or grammar with diagramming a hill to die on :)

thanks for describing! :)