Menu

SOS! Recommend a Good Wireless printer Please?

frugalmamatx

My printer just quit talking to my laptop. I've spent over an hour trying to get it to work, and it's just not going to. I think it's too old {the printer is 10+ years old} and doesn't like Windows 8 - I've had trouble with it since I got my new laptop with Windows 8. 

SO - I need a new printer STAT! Must be available on Amazon.com, needs to be wireless so DD can print from her tablet and I from my phone, and ink can't cost an arm and a leg {so b/w ink either needs to last a long time or be less than $10 for generic}. 99% of our printing is black and white. Cost is a big factor as well fwiw. Scanner would be nice but not 100% needed. 

My brother inkjet all-in-one wireless is wonderful except that generic ink didn't work as in printer refuse to detect. So now it is a white elephant for printing because hubby refuse to buy original ink cartridges but great as a wireless scanner.

It was happy with windows 8, windows 10, ipads and kindles though.

I cannot say enough good things about my Brother wireless laser. CHEAP CHEAP to operate, never a minute's trouble, and a true workhorse over several years. Paid $100-ish.  Get the high-capacity off-brand ink from Amazon.

(My particular model is the DW2270, but I would not hesitate to purchase a different one should this one ever meet his well-earned Rest.)

I JUST went through this! And I bought $200 ones and so on. Finally, my husband said to get the cheapest one there that was not an HP. I got the Brother printer for $59.99 at Best Buy. It is great! So far anyway. And the printing is faster and better quality than the HP. It prints front and back on pages too, which I love.

Yep, go with laser. Office Max had a Brother wireless laser on sale for $60 a few months ago, maybe check if they are on sale for back to school now.

I JUST went through this! And I bought $200 ones and so on. Finally, my husband said to get the cheapest one there that was not an HP. I got the Brother printer for $59.99 at Best Buy. It is great! So far anyway. And the printing is faster and better quality than the HP. It prints front and back on pages too, which I love.

Ooo, ooo, it's actually on sale at BB for $50 right now!  (I only remember the OM price because I had a friend buy it.)  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-hl-l2320d-black-and-white-printer-gray/4499400.p?id=1219755047431&skuId=4499400

Ooo, ooo, it's actually on sale at BB for $50 right now!  (I only remember the OM price because I had a friend buy it.)  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-hl-l2320d-black-and-white-printer-gray/4499400.p?id=1219755047431&skuId=4499400

Folks who have this one - is it wireless? I'm really wanting something I can print from tablets / phones

Folks who have this one - is it wireless? I'm really wanting something I can print from tablets / phones

Shoot, no.  This one on Amazon is $90 new and IS wireless (and duplex).  For Brother printers, you'll want to look for a W in the model number for wireless and a D if you want duplex (saves me a tons of $$ having duplex!)  https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2340DW-Monochrome-Wireless-Replenishment/dp/B00LZS5EEI

This one is wireless, duplex, and has a scanner for $90:  https://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCPL2540DW-Wireless-Compact-Replenishment/dp/B00MFG57ZK/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472185441&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_six_browse-bin%3A5662335011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A5928098011%2Cp_89%3ABrother

I'm passionate about Brother lasers because before I bought my first laser, I was spending $50 or so a MONTH on ink.  I bought a multi-function b/w Brother laser in 2010 for $300, and in 6 years, I've bought 4 refills for about $70.  I love it so much I just bought a new color multi-function (think it was $400) and while I don't love the new one (it's slower than my old one, and the scanner is smaller), the print quality is amazing, and I anticipate similar savings in the coming years.  (My old bw still works just fine, but my youngest is 6 and I wanted to be able to print his schoolwork in color if needed)