Menu

Handwriting Grade 1 - Seton or Handwriting Without Tears?

ktgrok

A Reason for Handwriting is a flop. I don't know why, but it is. She liked the K book just fine. Maybe we need prettier or more interesting, not sure. 

Looking at these two. I didn't like pentime because of the book itself, very hard to lay flat. 

Other suggestions welcome. 

Skip HWT 1. It's just not worth it IMO. There's really very little practice so if a child needed instruction and practice it's just not there. What about just doing copywork? ELTL has a workbook if you wanted her to see what's she is copying and like having it laid out for you. The first part is selections from Beatrix Potter.

Edited to add: I just saw that she's doing AAR1 so if you are going to add in AAS when she finishes you might be surprised at how much writing there is, I know I was! There are words, phrases and sentences to write out. That is often DS daily writing and handwriting practice.

Edited by ExcitedMama
  • Like 1

I am going to add in AAS, so that's good to hear. I just need to figure out what to do in the meantime. I think she could use some more practice with letter formation, and honestly, a refresher on number formation. Seton looks like it does that. HWT seems to have more mixed language arts stuff going on, from what I can tell. 

Have you looked at the CHC handwriting materials? I love that they are spiral bound on the top! The lines for first grade look a bit wider than A Reason for Handwriting A as well.

I haven't thank you for reminding me. I also found Handwriting Simplified, which looks good. Honestly, thinking about it last night I think she needs something that is more letter focused than copywork still. A Reason for Handwriting was too advanced. She needs more review. So I'll look at CHC, and otherwise get Handwriting Simplified. 

Thanks!

My daughter got tired of Seton, so I switched things up with Drawing for Better Block Letters. I don't know that I would use it all by itself, but once kids know how to make the letters, it provides good practice. Each lesson starts with copying a drawing or a little coloring before practicing letters and combinations of letters. My daughter really enjoyed it.