Menu

Rosetta Stone homeschool edition vs version 4 totale?

My4arrows

We are getting Rosetta Stone German to learn as a family so I want something for my dc but also for DH (who needs to be fluent) and myself. The homeschool version is less expensive, but I'm not sure if there's more included in the newer traditional version. It's only a $10 difference so I don't mind paying more if there's actually something different or better with it.

I think the homeschool version doesn't come with the online games, longer texts to read, and lessons with a native speaker. You need to be 13+ for the online part, btw, though if you only do the games nobody would know if you weren't (with the native speaker it might be obvious if the kid is way below 13). The online part is only good for a certain length of time and gets you only a few lessons with a native speaker - if you want more, you'd have to pay more. But, the games were fun (imo) while it lasted. My kids haven't done games. When we bought RS the regular RS was cheaper than the homeschool version afaik, so we only have the regular version (Spanish (for me) and Dutch (for everyone else), and I tried to get Russian (for me, because I finished Spanish over a year ago and was jealous of the kids doing RS Dutch, lol) the other day but got the download version and had a problem installing it, so I need to try that again and contact customer service and all that - blegh - never had a problem before, but only had gotten it on discs).

Edited by luuknam

and I tried to get Russian (for me, because I finished Spanish over a year ago and was jealous of the kids doing RS Dutch, lol) the other day but got the download version and had a problem installing it, so I need to try that again and contact customer service and all that - blegh - never had a problem before, but only had gotten it on discs).

Да! I got it to work. Amazon's download manager sucks, but apparently RS has all their stuff on their website for download - you just need the activation code. Didn't even have to call customer support.

• Like 1

I think the homeschool version doesn't come with the online games, longer texts to read, and lessons with a native speaker. You need to be 13+ for the online part, btw, though if you only do the games nobody would know if you weren't (with the native speaker it might be obvious if the kid is way below 13). The online part is only good for a certain length of time and gets you only a few lessons with a native speaker - if you want more, you'd have to pay more. But, the games were fun (imo) while it lasted. My kids haven't done games. When we bought RS the regular RS was cheaper than the homeschool version afaik, so we only have the regular version (Spanish (for me) and Dutch (for everyone else), and I tried to get Russian (for me, because I finished Spanish over a year ago and was jealous of the kids doing RS Dutch, lol) the other day but got the download version and had a problem installing it, so I need to try that again and contact customer service and all that - blegh - never had a problem before, but only had gotten it on discs).

Thanks for the info!

Before buying it, have you looked at other, free options such as Duolingo? I personally like it so much better than Rosetta Stone.

Yes, they have actually been using duolingo, but they need Internet use for that. We have moved out into the country and have limited internet use...it's very slow and data is capped. Otherwise we would have continued with it. I like that Rosetta Stone doesn't require the Internet.

Yes, they have actually been using duolingo, but they need Internet use for that. We have moved out into the country and have limited internet use...it's very slow and data is capped. Otherwise we would have continued with it. I like that Rosetta Stone doesn't require the Internet.

Have you looked at memrise? They now have courses made by staff that include videos of actual French people from France saying phrases. If you pay the yearly membership you can download it for offline use. I think the price is 70 dollars for the year. You can always try it for free if you have Internet access.