Menu

Feedback appreciated: Teaching in Title I vs. Special Education

Hi, (posted in the General Discussion forum as well)  I wondered if anyone has had experience teaching in Title I Reading and Math?  There is a part-time position available nearby. I have taught in special education for several years before homeschooling. I have been out of the public schools for 20 years now and am pondering about whether to take on a part-time position.  

I am curious to know what you liked or did not like about teaching in Title I?

It sounds like they use a specific program and test kids often. So a lot of testing involved.

I am trained in Barton. The one thing I like seeing in those that I tutor is the progress without being uptight about testing.

If you taught in both types of classes, which did you prefer and why?  

Or, if you are a parent who has had experience with your child who received Title I services, I would appreciate your thoughts! 

Any other helpful hints, or things I should consider would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Would you have a lot of English Language Learners at the Title I school? I've been volunteering in the reading lab at my youngest's school (not Title I) and it's hard working with kids who aren't yet fluent in English. They're great kids but the language barrier makes it tricky.