Menu

Whining...my unborn baby hates coffee.

ktgrok

Ok, so the nausea/morning sickness, exhaustion, nosebleeds, etc I can live with. But I'm really over this whole "coffee tastes bad and makes you nauseas" thing!!!!  Every day I make a cup, take a few sips, and can't drink any more. Bad enough in the morning, but in the afternoon I NEED that coffee! Mentally, if not for the caffeine. It's my regroup time. I've tried low acid, decaf, a protein smoothing made with espresso in it, cold brew, and even chai tea. Nothing. Nada. Can't drink any of it. 

Stupid baby is already in BIG trouble!

• Like 1

When I was pregnant with my oldest, I had to have my office move their coffeemaker because it was close enough to my desk that I could smell it. Normally I like the smell of coffee but when I'm preggo it just makes me nauseous.

Have you tried that new Soylent (ugh, hate that name!) Coffiest drink? It's cold, though.

When I was pregnant with my oldest, I had to have my office move their coffeemaker because it was close enough to my desk that I could smell it. Normally I like the smell of coffee but when I'm preggo it just makes me nauseous.

Have you tried that new Soylent (ugh, hate that name!) Coffiest drink? It's cold, though.

No, but I've tried something similar. Nothing works. Baby obviously hates me. 

Have you tried CrioBru? I read a pregnant/nursing Mormon blogger raving about it. 

Hot tea? 

Too bad straight up vodka is out as well...

Same reaction to tea that I have to coffee. Which is lame. Just ordered the CrioBru...I'm not getting my hopes up but worth a try! I'd never heard of it. They come in k-cups even. I figure if I don't like it someone in my house might. 

Ugh that sucks. For weeks 7 through 12 i had to switch to caffeinated soda, which I don't even like normally, because I couldn't stomach the thought of coffee. Thankfully, that went away around week 13. Now at week 21, I wish I could drink coffee all day long!

Ugh that sucks. For weeks 7 through 12 i had to switch to caffeinated soda, which I don't even like normally, because I couldn't stomach the thought of coffee. Thankfully, that went away around week 13. Now at week 21, I wish I could drink coffee all day long!

Other pregnancies I had diet soda, but since bariatric surgery bubbles upset my stomach, so nothing carbonated. 

I'm drinking some hot herbal tea now in a desperate attempt to restore my afternoon ritual. I think it's the ritual I miss more than the caffeine. Coffee time twice a day was mom quiet time for 15 minutes. With something yummy. And often whipped cream on top. 

Edited by ktgrok

Does time of day make a difference, by any chance? I did switch having afternoon coffee because it was less nauseating than first thing. Have you given it a shot after lunchtime?

Not cool, baby. Mine hated sugar. Anything sweet made me so nauseous. I couldn't even eat ice cream. What was really interesting is that I felt best when I ate a ton of protein... and when this baby was born she was very solid, never had those squishy rolls. I've always wondered if that was due to my diet.

• Like 1

That's how my coffee loving, caffeine addicted mother knew she was pregnant with my brother.  She woke up one morning, and the thought of coffee was nauseatingly terrible.  The next morning she woke up to non-stop nausea.

The way she tells the story, she was still in the delivery room with a minutes old baby when she requested her first cup of coffee  :laugh:

• Like 2

Thank you for all the sympathy. The herbal tea didn't sit well either. It seems very few beverages taste good to me right now. Pretty much um....Crystal Light Lemonade. That's really it. I've tried teas, chai tea, coffee, hot, cold, different times of day, etc. I will keep trying things, but it may just be a lost cause. 

Hoping the next trimester it goes away :(

For every single pregnancy, my husband had to brew, and drink, his morning coffee either in the garage or on the back porch. I just could not take the smell. I'd end up vomiting for hours. Thankfully once the third trimester hit, I was good and able to enjoy it again. But goodness, that was hard those two trimesters. Hugs! Hang in there. 

Have you tried just plain old black tea? Or perhaps iced tea? With no frills except perhaps lemon? My last baby allowed that for most of the pregnancy until the heartburn kicked in and then it was just water. Hugs. I was in misery a year ago but now that baby bit his sisters ankle during school while crawling around under the school table, and he's trying to pull up on the stove.

Have you tried just plain old black tea? Or perhaps iced tea? With no frills except perhaps lemon? My last baby allowed that for most of the pregnancy until the heartburn kicked in and then it was just water. Hugs. I was in misery a year ago but now that baby bit his sisters ankle during school while crawling around under the school table, and he's trying to pull up on the stove.

Yup. Iced and hot. And earl grey. And English Breakfast tea. 

However, in VERY good news, this afternoon I in desperation retried decaf cold brew, made with milk, and so far so good! I've had half of it and it tastes good! 

This I can handle! Now, to hope it lasts. 

• Like 2

I thought you weren't advised to take caffeine when pregnant. Is that not a thing anymore? I just remember that when I was pregnant. I had to give up diet Pepsi. It was rather brutal for a couple of weeks -- mostly for my poor dh. He still hasn't recovered from the trauma. ;)

• Like 2

Yup. Iced and hot. And earl grey. And English Breakfast tea.

However, in VERY good news, this afternoon I in desperation retried decaf cold brew, made with milk, and so far so good! I've had half of it and it tastes good!

This I can handle! Now, to hope it lasts.

Like I said, I do way better with afternoon coffee. First thing in the morning kind of killed me last kiddo, even brewed cold and with cream. It was so sad! This baby has been more forgiving and I can handle iced coffee on an empty stomach but it is still frustrating.

I thought you weren't advised to take caffeine when pregnant. Is that not a thing anymore? I just remember that when I was pregnant. I had to give up diet Pepsi. It was rather brutal for a couple of weeks -- mostly for my poor dh. He still hasn't recovered from the trauma. ;)

They've mostly gotten over than austerity, thankfully. The evidence body points to low caffeine intake as being safe, like two drinks per day. Too many or too much can be a problem but isn't that the case with anything?

Up to 2 cups a day is allowed (or about 200 mg of caffeine). I'd settle for decaf honestly. Right now I get a few sips here and there. 

SaveSave

Like I said, I do way better with afternoon coffee. First thing in the morning kind of killed me last kiddo, even brewed cold and with cream. It was so sad! This baby has been more forgiving and I can handle iced coffee on an empty stomach but it is still frustrating.

Even as recent as a few days ago I couldn't do the afternoon either. Maybe I hit a sweet spot because I'd had a snack about 90 minutes earlier? I don't know. But I'll take it. 

That is what I remember the recommendation to be. No drugs including coffee as they can all have a negative effect on the baby.

• Like 1

Try hot lemon water.  I love it.  And it helps digestion and can be your ritual too.  I am big on rituals.....

As far as coffee goes......I drank mine with half and half and a tsp of sugar my entire life.  Since age 15.   About 1 year ago I went on a strict diet where I could have the coffee but not the cream and sugar.  Once the diet was over I could never again drink it with cream or sugar.  It just made me ill to try.  So now I drink black coffee only.  I must say it is easier !

Mine dislikes:

Coffee

Onions

Bell peppers

Chicken

Green beans

cinnamon

But she loves spicey hot foods and iced unsweetened tea.

Bonus if the spicey whatever has that disgusting nacho "cheese" sauce stuff on it that I personally think tastes like melted plastic. Ewww.

But at least it's not McD burgers. I hate those things and had one baby that wanted almost nothing else.

yeah, in good news baby likes whole wheat pumpkin spice muffins, so that's good :)

Also chicken fingers from the deli at the grocery store, cheese, and fruit. Sometimes croissants, but not always. Some lean cuisines. That's pretty much my diet right now, lol. Breakfast is a muffin or croissant, cheese, fruit. lunch and dinner are chicken and fruit and maybe a muffin or croissant. Could be WAY worse. 

Mine dislikes:

Coffee

Onions

Bell peppers

Chicken

Green beans

cinnamon

But she loves spicey hot foods and iced unsweetened tea.

Bonus if the spicey whatever has that disgusting nacho "cheese" sauce stuff on it that I personally think tastes like melted plastic. Ewww.

But at least it's not McD burgers. I hate those things and had one baby that wanted almost nothing else.

Omgosh, my first born only wanted Chicken Nuggets from McD. Every day on my lunch break. Horrid.

• Like 1

Soo.....just had OVER half a cup!!! No splenda, and barely any sugar. Baby doesn't like super sweet, it seems!  Maybe this is a fluke, who knows. But it definitely went down easier than my sweeter norm. Or maybe it was the splenda? But the stupid baby LOVES Dasani artificallly sweetened pink lemonade water flavoring. Maybe that's a different sweetener? But no sweetener, just cream, I can do. Happily. (I still won't overdo it, most of the time I drink decaf, but I haven't even been able to have decaf lately!)

Just got the CrioBru. It's interesting. Not sure if baby approves yet, and I think it would taste better sweeter, but I'm too scared to put sweetener in it due to the whole sweet coffee thing. I definitely like it though. And it smells really yummy. 

Not to put words in her mouth, but think she is being facetious - in our house we have similar humor and love our children very much. But the fact remains sometimes they are obnoxious or gross or make us very physically uncomfortable (like pubic symphysis dysfunction and extra long labors, oh joy ;) ). A little loving, jokingly applied insult doesn't mean we love or want them any less.

Not every family interacts that way, but I wouldn't read too much into what Katie wrote other than minor frustration over the food issues.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I believe you posted many times previously about begging and pleading with your dh to have another baby, yes?  I am having a hard time understanding why now you keep referring to him or her as "stupid baby" because you are having morning sickness over coffee.        

Yeah....it's tongue in cheeck. Said with a smile. Same as "silly husband!" or whatever.  Of course, we also call the much loved pets "good for nothing animals" and such. And when the kids ask what we are doing today my husband often smiles and says "oh....probably sell you for meat" and they laugh. Perhaps my sense of humor isn't what you are used to. 

• Like 1

Not to put words in her mouth, but think she is being facetious - in our house we have similar humor and love our children very much. But the fact remains sometimes they are obnoxious or gross or make us very physically uncomfortable (like pubic symphysis dysfunction and extra long labors, oh joy ;) ). A little loving, jokingly applied insult doesn't mean we love or want them any less.

Not every family interacts that way, but I wouldn't read too much into what Katie wrote other than minor frustration over the food issues.

Thank you, exactly this. 

SaveSave

I believe you posted many times previously about begging and pleading with your dh to have another baby, yes? I am having a hard time understanding why now you keep referring to him or her as "stupid baby" because you are having morning sickness over coffee.

Oh geez. Lighten up.