Menu

Setting up a Kindle Fire

Night Elf

It's been 2 years since I set up a Kindle so I don't remember how I did it. If I buy a Kindle Fire to give to my dd, can she set it up on her account so it's named after her? Mine is called Beth's 5th Kindle (two were sent back and replaced). I don't want her Kindle with my name on it. Is that possible or will it automatically have my name since I'm the one who is buying it?

I know there is an option to set it up under another account. It might default to Beth's 6th Kindle when she first turns it on, but it can be changed. I believe when I first logged on, they gave an option to sign in under a different account. Also, you can tweak things on the Amazon website under "manage my devices."

She can change the kindle's name under Settings -> Device options -> change Device Name.

To have the device under her account, you can deregister the kindle under Settings -> Personal -> my account. Then pass it to your daughter to do her setup.

We have more kindles than humans in our home and my kids gave their kindle funny names.

Edited by Arcadia

Will it be registered to your account (so you can share books etc) or to her own Amazon account?

It will default name to Beth's 6th Kindle if it's registered to your account, but it's very easy to change the name. I'd never be able to keep all the kindles straight if they were just numbered.

Okay, I just found some information on the amazon help site. If it's still true, I can buy a Kindle, mark it as a gift, and I have the option to choose to have it delivered unregistered so it's not attached to my account. I'll try that first. If that doesn't work, I'll try deregistering it and seeing if we can set it up on her account.

Thanks!