Menu

To Regentrude

(I tried to PM this but your inbox is full)

Sometimes with all the time I spend on the forums, I wonder if I'm wasting my time.  Maybe sometimes we are, but I wanted you to know that, at least sometimes, you're not!

A few months back I posted about early community college for my son here in Cali.  You very strongly pointed out that rather than advance his academics and social skills, I would most likely just be placing him in classes with high school under-performers or even dropouts, and that it really, really wasn't a good idea.

I put the CHSPE on hold and decided to think on the matter for a while.  It turns out, that our newly zoned local CC (we bought a house and moved) is way way stinky compared to the previous one (which was /is actually considered one of the best CC in the country)...I realized that I had changed umbrella schools and the new director was for whatever reason really forcing him/me into the idea of full time early community college.  I was being pigeonholed and (took out coerced)..convinced to do something I never really intended for either of my kids..not sure why that's her philosophy but oh well.

This week it became clear that the best thing to do is take one year at a time and find the best classes we can, and hopefully, he will attend university as a freshman.  We WILL end up utilize a few courses at our new less-than-stellar CC or make the long drive to the next one over...but that's very different than attending full time at age 15 or even 16.  Those courses will be chosen because they're the very best I can get for him....not because we just stuck him in CC at the wrong time.   :o

There were lots of helpful thoughts and posts on that thread, but your point stood out in my head clearly and helped me make the decision.

Thanks again.

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 15

That is so strange. I can understand strongly encouraging DE for lab sciences because I know someone's child who refused to do labs at home as a 10th grader and had to do credit recovery over summer.

When we were with a charter, they encourage us to look into early college for our kids but that would be a mix of high school and community college classes graduating with a high school diploma and a associates degree.

Enjoy your new home and glad things work out.

• Like 2