Menu

Mean scary dogs by common mailbox

bethben

We have neighbors across the street who rented out their home for a year and are now back.  Their backyard is a sidewalk width away from a common mailbox for two blocks worth of neighbors.  They have two large dobermans who stand on a raised patio about 10 feet away from this mailbox and bark at everyone who comes to said mailbox.  These dogs are intimidating and could easily jump from the patio out of the fence which is only 3 1/2 feet high. Their only exercise is running around a very small urban backyard.   Whenever they are out, they bark constantly because there are people getting their mail or walking home from school, etc.  I'm wondering what to do. I need a plan of how to keep our neighborhood to the low roar we've all enjoyed this past year.   Let's just say the neighbor is also very intimidating and my only interaction with her was pretty negative.  They moved soon after we moved in.   I'm not sure they would do anything (really, what is there to do anyway?) and I don't want to make an enemy with these neighbors of whom I have to live across the street from.  

We had a very similar situation. I actually had them charge me when I was walking with a stroller and nose right up to the baby. After that we always carried our firearms and my husband actually had to draw on the dog when one charged him as he was getting mail. He told the owner to get his dog under control immediately or he would shoot and hubby was dead serious - these were hundred pound mutts showing numerous aggressive behaviors and extremely agitated.

After four years that was the only way to get them to take it seriously. We were never charged again and the house eventually burned down a few years ago from a explosion in the meth lab in the basement. Awesome, right?

I'm not advocating this is the right choice for everyone or every neighborhood, but for us it was the only option. Verbally warning the dogs off and even using spray products wasn't effective - they just got more mad and animal control wouldn't do anything until someone was already bitten.

I will say if they're just barking but not out of the yard your options are very limited. That's a bit of a different situation than the dogs getting loose and attacking and some dogs make lots of noise without any intent to injure someone - they're just vocal breeds.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Not sure this will help you. You could try talking in a soft voice while you get your mail. If they are relatively new to the neighborhood, wait and see if they acclimate. If there is aggressive posture or charging against the fence I would notify the owner, regardless of past negative interaction because interactions are about to become more negative if a dog jumps the fence and attacks. If the owner remains unconcerned and unhelpful, I would report to Animal Control - even if it's only for the purpose of reporting. If someone else reports something as well, they should  see a pattern developing and eventually they should follow up on it.

I agree with Arctic Mama that many dogs bark but once they "meet" you and you don't run, it's all good. However, since you do not have the support / cooperation of the dog owner, there is no way to tell how they were raised.

We once lived next to a cannabis growing operation which was guarded by a dog. No amount of soft whispering calmed him down. But I blamed the owner, not the animal. At least a large fence separated our properties.

Edited by Liz CA

I would get dog mace and carry it whenever I went to the mailbox. If they leap their fence - I'd spray them.

It the dog mace is known to work, it sounds like it would give you a sense of having options if something happens.

How is dog mace different than "people" mace? :)

It the dog mace is known to work, it sounds like it would give you a sense of having options if something happens.

How is dog mace different than "people" mace? :)

I don't know the answer, but my vet recommended it to me. I have an aggressive dog that I walk on a leash in an area where a lot of people let their dogs run loose. I keep him close, but fear I can't prevent a fight if other dogs won't stay away. I haven't actually tried mace, but I trust my vet's advice. She also recommended getting skunk scented dog mace (don't know if you can actually find that) so that the owners wouldn't know what actually happened to their dogs. It would work for me because dogs are only a problem if they are out away from their homes/owners. I don't know that it would be useful in the OP's situation though.

Bring some dog treats and toss them to the dads as you walk by?

That's what I did when I had to walk by a fence with two angry rottweilers on my way to school each day. Actually, what I did was feed them each half a sandwich every day. My dad made sandwiches with weird deli meat I hated, so I never at them. I finally realized I could feed it to the dog, so they each got half. Only took a handful of days before they wagged their tails every time I approached, instead of acting like they wanted to eat me. 

So, I say, deli meat, and I'm only half kidding. It's classical conditioning at it's finest. My ONLY concern is that they start jumping the fence to get the meat. 

• Like 1

That's what I did when I had to walk by a fence with two angry rottweilers on my way to school each day. Actually, what I did was feed them each half a sandwich every day. My dad made sandwiches with weird deli meat I hated, so I never at them. I finally realized I could feed it to the dog, so they each got half. Only took a handful of days before they wagged their tails every time I approached, instead of acting like they wanted to eat me. 

So, I say, deli meat, and I'm only half kidding. It's classical conditioning at it's finest. My ONLY concern is that they start jumping the fence to get the meat. 

See I get that this works, but I'd be really ticked if strangers fed my dog. Plus, some dogs with digestive problems can get sick if given something they shouldn't have. (Of course, mine isn't terrorizing anybody so there's that.) Somebody upthread mentioned talking to the post office. If the carrier is also having issues with the dogs, perhaps they can help find a solution--like move the common mailbox and charge the dogs' owner for it or insist on a higher fence.

• Like 1

See I get that this works, but I'd be really ticked if strangers fed my dog. Plus, some dogs with digestive problems can get sick if given something they shouldn't have. (Of course, mine isn't terrorizing anybody so there's that.) Somebody upthread mentioned talking to the post office. If the carrier is also having issues with the dogs, perhaps they can help find a solution--like move the common mailbox and charge the dogs' owner for it or insist on a higher fence.

Right. I mean, i was a kid, and didn't know that at the time. But....although I agree with you, these are obviously not responsible dog owners, and I'd rather risk the dog having a belly ache than me getting attacked. 

And if the dogs I fed ended up puking or having diarrhea on the owner's carpet, well, they deserved it for leaving the darn dogs out, barking, every morning. 

• Like 4

Hahaha! True true, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for a dog owner dealing with that when they can't be bothered o deal with their dog before a neighbor has to!

Are the dogs violating any local ordinances? Some towns have dog breed limits. Noise ordinances?

Call the local Postmaster and ask what to do if you're afraid to check your mailbox?

Yes, call the postmaster. I assume the mail is delivered in a vehicle by the type of boxes you mention, but carriers can refuse to deliver under some circumstances (probably a broader range for walking routes), and a dog problem is one of those. I am not sure how bad it has to be before they can do so justifiably, but they probably will have dealt with this before. If they get mealy mouthed about it, I would ask if they've had a problem before, and if so, did they talk to animal control or whatever. I would think the union the letter carrier belongs to would have advice if the postmaster does not, and you can probably ask to talk to the union steward if you need to.

Scratch the 2 dobermans.  Now, it looks like 3 unless one is just a visitor.  It's a small yard.  We all have small yards.  No real place for a dog to get a good run. Sigh...They are most likely just barking for warning the owner that people are threatening their space.  If one growls at me, I'm putting my foot down.  My daughter is already yelling at them through her closed window because she hated them so much the last time they were here.

In my world, when you leave dogs outside being nuisances all day, you kinda lose the right to get ticked.  Our last house had a large (150+) dog/horse outside 24/7 that barked 24/7.  His bark was so deep it literally shook the windows in our building, and we were a good 30-50 yards from it.  Dog woke us up at all hours of the night barking at the zillions of squirrels.  (No, I didn't feed it, or ring their doorbell at 2am every night when it woke my kid up, because we knew weren't staying so I had a "light at the end of the tunnel" and figured another neighbor could handle it.)

• Like 4

Are they in fact dangerous, or just barking?  Because really I think most dogs in that situation will bark at the people who come to get mail.

We just had a public mailbox put on our sidelawn this Spring, and boy, what a PITA.  OUr dogs are not unfriendly, but when strange people are on their lawn right where they can see them, if they are outside they bark at them.  Not letting them out isn't an option, and people come by all day to get mail so no particular time.  Sometimes with their dogs, which means my dogs really bark at those people.

I'm not worried about them hurting people, even in the unlikely scenario they got out, but the people getting the mail may not realize that.

If they are just barking I would just ignore them.

I'd agree with the dog cookies or treats and learn the dogs' names and talk to them.  It is really hard for some people to tell the difference between an aggressive bark or a friendly bark, particularly in big loud dogs with no tails.  We have a barker here with an electric fence. It's a little thing so not much of a threat.  Once I learned the dog's name, all I had to do was say "Hey, Bailey, how are you doing?" in a soft sweet voice when she barks at me.  She settles down once she is acknowledged.  Didn't seem to work much until I started using her name.

Yeah, my dogs do have allergies, so I don't want strange people giving them food.  On the other hand, I don't leave my dogs out to bark at people, so they don't have time with others without me being there.  

OP, I guess you could tell the owner that they bark and ask if it's OK to toss them a Milk-Bone each day.  If it seems more like you want permission to give them a treat and less like you are complaining, maybe it wouldn't cause confrontation?  

I wouldn't personally carry a lethal weapon, but I'd be carrying pepper spray. Or bear spray if you don't mind the larger can and want a more assured and instant incapacitation of the attacking dog. Or wasp/hornet spray if you don't like those options. I'd nail the dogs as soon as they charged me (outside of the owners' property). 

Yeah, my dogs do have allergies, so I don't want strange people giving them food.  On the other hand, I don't leave my dogs out to bark at people, so they don't have time with others without me being there.  

OP, I guess you could tell the owner that they bark and ask if it's OK to toss them a Milk-Bone each day.  If it seems more like you want permission to give them a treat and less like you are complaining, maybe it wouldn't cause confrontation?  

That sounds like a plan in some ways.  We'll have to see how this fall turns out.  I like to sleep with my window open and last night, just as we were getting to bed the dogs started up.  Our initial reaction was OH NO!!! because usually that meant a lot of barking for a while.  They were brought in right away so maybe something has changed.