Menu

QUICK!! Is this still ok?? (update below...with an additional question)

kfeusse

I was in the process of making tomato sauce for canning...and I had the sauce all made, but not in the jars ...and we had a family emergency..  The sauce was too hot to put in the fridge and so I left it out on the stove top.  The sauce was left from about 11:30 this morning to just now...3:30.  If I heat the sauce up really well, can I still process it?  It won't be bad, right?

Edited by NEprairiemom

Tomato sauce starts fermenting if going off. So if it has little bubbles while it is sitting there then it is going off. I would think it was perfectly fine, if you are heating it up as part of the canning process than I wouldn't even bother preheating it

Edited by Melissa in Australia

I leave food on my stove cooling for that long regularly. We aren't dead yet ;)

You may consider reheating it up and simmering it for ten minutes just to be sure it is clean for canning and didn't get anything dropping on it that could reproduce, as canning is different than quick consumption, but that would be my only caution.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this:  I heated my sauce for like 30  minutes (low rolling boil) just to be sure, then sealed my jars.  They all  sealed just fine...but then just today I found 3 that had unsealed.  Do you think this could have been caused by my situation I mentioned above?  Or just a fluky thing? 

Update on this:  I heated my sauce for like 30  minutes (low rolling boil) just to be sure, then sealed my jars.  They all  sealed just fine...but then just today I found 3 that had unsealed.  Do you think this could have been caused by my situation I mentioned above?  Or just a fluky thing? 

Did you process them in a hot water bath?

I rarely have a jar that doesn't seal.  When that has happened, I find that the jar rim is nicked or something.  

I can't imagine it had anything to do with reheating the sauce.  Sauce was hot when put into jars, lids were hot, and it was processed.  Seems like it should seal.  Maybe it was just a fluke. 

I do remember one time that I did have several jars - of something - that didn't seal, and I ended up blaming the lids.  They were all from the same box.  Everything else sealed just fine like normal; just this one batch had several that didn't.  It is sure frustrating to do all that work and not have it seal.  If you put it in the fridge when you realized it didn't seal, could you use it in some cooking?

Did they experience drastic changes in temperature after they were sealed, or was there lots of jarring about (ha!). I ask that because I've canned at my moms house before then left the jars there for a week or two before transporting them home. Were they overfilled? Did you throw those out that came unsealed?