Menu

Transferring from Home school to Public School

BNB

Hello! I am looking for some advice. I have 2 children that have been home schooled since pre-k. My oldest is in 3rd grade and youngest is in 2nd. I placed them in public school this year since we have a new addition to the family and are in an area with great schools. I received a letter from the school yesterday that my oldest needs assistance in Reading Comprehension and Math. We have always used the Abeka Curriculum while home schooling. I know the testing process at PS is on the computer, which is new to my kids. I spoke to the teacher yesterday and was told to give it some time. the classroom setting is very different, they are learning by different teaching styles, testing, etc. They are not having any trouble socially, only academically. Has anyone found the transition hard from home school to public school? Do you have any recommendations? How long should I expect it to take before they catch up academically? 

• Like 2

Not sure, but I suspect not long to "catch up". Most of the kids I know around here who have transitioned from A Beka or Bob Jones are ahead when they walk in the public school door. So I suspect it is just the testing method that is causing your kids some temporary lags.

• Like 5

My guess is that the letter is automatically generated when any student's score is below a preset score. Since you spoke to their teacher yesterday, the teacher would know you are open to discussions if your kids really fall far behind.

I'll casually check back with their teachers after a month just because public schools can be at different paces even in the same school district with some schools ahead of the other schools. I wouldn't want my kid to feel behind but not know how to tell hubby or me and just suffer in silence.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

they should catch-up quickly.   if they were on grade level, they should be fine.  they might have new material because different curriculum vendors have different ways, orders AND rates - of presenting material. my dh switched schools about this age- and so he was never formally instructed in cursive.  the first school never covered it, the second school was past it when he arrived.

Frequently public school curriculum is significantly different with common core vs homeschool curriculum. If by end of the first grading period there is no growth I would personally start asking about testing for learning disabilities (but I'm biased). I don't use abeka but it may be possible the math was taught in a different order from the common core. Do you feel there were any concerns in teaching reading comprehension or math? The common core has a high requirement (which is not developmentally appropriate in young kids) for some subjects, notably reading and writing. For my DS I'm emphasizing basic things like trying his best on tests because that's the only one time a teacher may know what he knows. I'm also telling him to check his answers and not go too fast as he may make a careless mistake. We didn't take tests and DS isn't used to them. He answers reading comprehension based on his knowledge, not necessarily what the passage says. And I'd go over other basics like narrowing down answers, avoiding answers with "always" or "never" in them. Other kids may have already had these lessons in public school.

If specifically get recommendations on what math he didn't know to see if it was covered already and he just forgot or he hasn't learned it yet. I'd also look at the lengths of comprehension passages and vocab and expected knowledge (main idea, etc).

There are several things in the language arts testing (like the STAR) frequently used by public schools that are very different than a homeschool currculum. They do A LOT of testing on making inferences and they do vast amounts of "find the supporting evidence in the text" for assertions made in the questions. Stuff that is totally developmentally inappropriate in early elementary, but its there in the tests! I know there are workbooks on inferences. I have no idea if there are workbooks on supporting evidence.

You may be able to find sample questions online for the test your child is taking.

Here is one example of a workbook that would include the types of questions frequently asked on these tests. This one is for 4th grade, but I am sure with a little research you could find ones for 2nd and 3rd grades.

However, remember that the most important thing you can do for your children's language arts is to read aloud to them (slightly above their grade level) every night. This will have results far more important than an inference workbook ever will.

One of my daughters went from homeschool to PS in 4th grade (new baby at home too!)  I got a similar letter...  and the school counselor recommended we put her back a grade... I had her remain in 4th grade and at the end of the first grading period she was doing well-- by the end of the year she was the ONLY student in the school to make a perfect score on the state math and reading tests. 

I vote with the others that there will probably be a short adjustment period-- just stay in touch and ask if there is anything you can do on your side to support your children in the transition.