Menu

American Heritage Girls Uniform question

ktgrok

So, we joined the local troop tonight. I'm looking to order her vest and such, and wondering if I should order up a size? She's a small right now, but in 1st grade. She'll be in tenderhearts for two more years. How hard is it to move all the badges and such from an old vest to a new one, if we need to size up later? I was planning on being lame and using the badge magic or liquid stitches or something, not sewing. I remember them being a real pain to sew when my son was in boycotts. I broke a needle and gave up I think. 

So, get the small, that will fit right now, and move or buy new badges later, or buy a bigger size now, have it be big, but possibly last?

• Like 1

This is not the answer to your question, but badges are really easy to sew in with a sewing machine. I just use invisible thread in the needle and a neutral cotton in tre bobbin.

However, I think it would be a HUGE pain to move the badges from vest to vest. In fact, I just bought new ones for my dd's Girl Scout vest instead of having to move them.

This is not the answer to your question, but badges are really easy to sew in with a sewing machine. I just use invisible thread in the needle and a neutral cotton in tre bobbin.

However, I think it would be a HUGE pain to move the badges from vest to vest. In fact, I just bought new ones for my dd's Girl Scout vest instead of having to move them.

See, I think I used a sewing machine, and broke the needle off. Maybe I had the wrong kind of needle. i'm a VERY novice, self taught sewer. I could try again though. I kind of hate badge magic with a passion, and if sewing doesn't work would use something else I think. 

Try on a size up to make sure, but I would get one with some room to grow into.

That said, it does depend on your girl. Mine is skinny and even the vest in her correct size hangs loose on her. We passed Dd's Tenderheart vest on to new members who couldn't afford a new one, but we are keeping her Explorer vest.

Badge Magic is fine! Easy and it works. Don't run the vest with badges in it in a hot, hot dryer because the adhesive will melt. 

I have put a stitch or two in Dd's badges, just to keep them extra tight.

If you do need to remove badges, just use Goo Gone or other solvent. 

Unlike Boy Scouts, AHG girls rarely wear their Class A uniform when they will be dirty, wet, sweaty etc. So the uniform doesn't take such a pounding. Class B (AHG T-shirt) for camping or messy things. 

I hope you and your Dd have a great experience with AHG! It has been super for my Dd, who is in her 4th year and looking forward to being a Pioneer next year!

Edited by ScoutTN

Don't plan on moving the badges! 

You don't need the Badge Magic from AHG, though it does come with the right shapes printed on the paper backing.

The plain kind from Walmart, in the sewing aisle, works fine. 

Edited by ScoutTN

Look at the girls in their last year of this level, what size do they seem to be? I'd size up just one size, two if she is borderline between sizes now. You could take in the vest temporarily if it's too big right now.

And I have attached badges with a stapler.

Really.

And I can actually sew. How sad is that? 🙄

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 2

So, we joined the local troop tonight. I'm looking to order her vest and such, and wondering if I should order up a size? She's a small right now, but in 1st grade. She'll be in tenderhearts for two more years. How hard is it to move all the badges and such from an old vest to a new one, if we need to size up later? I was planning on being lame and using the badge magic or liquid stitches or something, not sewing. I remember them being a real pain to sew when my son was in boycotts. I broke a needle and gave up I think. 

So, get the small, that will fit right now, and move or buy new badges later, or buy a bigger size now, have it be big, but possibly last?

For Sparks, which they start in K and go for 3 years, we bought up for the vest. I was NOT going to resew those badges.

I agree, I would buy the vest you think she will wear in her last year as a Tenderheart.  I would not want to move the badges.

I might be an idiot, but I tried a couple of those badge sticking ideas and all I got was frustrated.  I iron the badges on and then sew them (by hand, because I don't have a machine).

Those who ordered up, how far up did you order? My oldest is 17 and a different body type, I just have no idea what to expect growth wise over the next few years. She's not tall, so that probably helps (neither are dad or I). I can't check out another vest as we need these to wear to an event on the 10th, if at all possible, so I need to order ASAP. Today, really. 

I found the sizing guide with the measurements, I'm going to check those out and measure her and see what I think. I may post results of my measuring for more advice, lol. 

Ok, a small is a youth 6-8, she wears a size 6 shirt. Length is 20 1/2 inches, which goes to mid thigh on her. The medium is 21 1/3 inches long. Size info here: https://www.americanheritagegirls.org/media/filer_public/33/4f/334f381e-be63-4c76-a36e-daedaaef7d73/tenderheartvestsizechart.pdf

Honestly, the small will be a bit big on her. The medium even bigger, but I guess another inch doesn't really matter? If she wears a size 6 now, in 1st grade, what would you do? She was a size 5 last year. A 4 the year before. So a size a year...I cannot see her outgrowing the medium, so would you get medium or small?

Ok, a small is a youth 6-8, she wears a size 6 shirt. Length is 20 1/2 inches, which goes to mid thigh on her. The medium is 21 1/3 inches long. Size info here: https://www.americanheritagegirls.org/media/filer_public/33/4f/334f381e-be63-4c76-a36e-daedaaef7d73/tenderheartvestsizechart.pdf

Honestly, the small will be a bit big on her. The medium even bigger, but I guess another inch doesn't really matter? If she wears a size 6 now, in 1st grade, what would you do? She was a size 5 last year. A 4 the year before. So a size a year...I cannot see her outgrowing the medium, so would you get medium or small?

Medium.

If she goes up a size every year, she will be in a 10 her third year in the group, right? Or by two more years were you counting the current year?

When I was a Troop Coordinator, many moons ago, and we had to order all the uniform items (parents couldn't) unless they were VERY slim and small we ordered larges for all. Yes, they swim in it for a while but it often proven wise when they got to their 3rd year.

Ok, so I was all set to order medium, only to find that it is a package that you get the same size shirt and vest, lol. So, I ordered small, but in the "instructions" section put a note asking for a medium vest with the small shirt, if at all possible. I don't see her outgrowing the medium. 

Our troop doesn't require that their shirt be an official AHG shirt, as long as it's the right color and style.  That's much more reasonable IMO.  :)

Ours too, but by the time i buy each item individually, it just makes more sense, cost wise, to buy the package that includes the shirt. 

SaveSave

Key to sewing badges is to use a thimble to push the needle through.  You want the kind with "dimples" on the end; the needle sits in one of those so it doesn't slip.  I put mine on my middle finger so I can leave it there the whole time.  Also, no need to obsess over the thread matching.  No one does this perfectly; it's part of the charm.  

• Like 1