Menu

Is this common knowledge? (Disney Haunted Mansion question...)

Stacia

Is this common knowledge? (Disney Haunted Mansion question...)  

275 members have voted

1. 1. My dc insist that it is common knowledge that people often place/leave/scatter the ashes of deceased loved ones in the Haunted Mansion at Disney World in FL.

• Yes! I totally knew that was a thing.
    • I'm not sure. It sounds plausible but I haven't heard specifically of it happening.
    • No. I have never, ever, ever heard of that.
    • No. I think nobody would do something like that.
    • I want my ashes scattered at the Haunted Mansion! Count me in!
    • Huh???

A debate raged over the dinner table tonight.

So, here's a frivolous poll to see if I'm as out of the loop as my dc think I am....

ETA: I have not googled or researched this in any way, shape, or form. It's just a conversation we had. I have no idea what the "true" answer is.

Edited by Stacia

I had to look that up. Wow. Who would've thought?

We love that ride, and I thought we knew everything about it. That was a new one!

Says the mama who made a haunted mansion replica bday cake for a certain obsessed 6 yr old's party, and took same 6 yr old to WDW for that bday...

• Like 2

I had to look that up. Wow. Who would've thought?

We love that ride, and I thought we knew everything about it. That was a new one!

Says the mama who made a haunted mansion replica bday cake for a certain obsessed 6 yr old's party, and took same 6 yr old to WDW for that bday...

So what did you find out? (I still haven't googled because I'm feeling lazy....)

ETA: According to my dc, it is commonly known & Disney has had to tell people to quit doing it or Great Aunt Rita might (or for sure will) get Hoovered up & end up in a trash bin.

Edited by Stacia

So what did you find out? (I still haven't googled because I'm feeling lazy....)

ETA: According to my dc, it is commonly known & Disney has had to tell people to quit doing it or Great Aunt Rita might (or for sure will) get Hoovered up & end up in a trash bin.

Yep. That's what I read just now. Crazy!

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2655484

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I read an article once that mentioned this.

For fans of the ride, Stuff You Missed In History Class did a great podcast about the development and history of it. I think it may have even been a two parter. It's old, so you may have to hunt it down on the actual website as opposed to iTunes.

• Like 1

I've heard of people wanting to be scattered in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and Disney strongly discouraging people from doing that because it would clog up the filters. They'll stop the ride if they suspect somebody on a boat is doing such a thing. (as I'm sure there are cameras watching the boats at all times).

• Like 3

I guess this makes me feel some what unimaginative. I would have never thought of anyone scattering ashes at Disney World. (And I know there are lots of Disney super fans who would probably love that idea. But still. The idea never crossed my mind. Ever.)

I am constantly amazed at things I learn in the world. I don't know if that's because I'm clueless or because I have an appreciation for the diverse (& sometimes bizarre) ideas that humans can generate.

• Like 7

I follow Disney stuff on MiceChat and folks do try this stunt on occasion - but be aware, there are cameras watching you all the time on the rides, and any time it looks like someone is trying to get out of a Doom Buggy or toss something out of the vehicle the ride will stop and a voice will warn you to stay seated, etc. 

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

Banished as in for life?  How could they possibly enforce that?  

I am not sure. He is not banished from all properties for life, that was only for one year, just Disneyland is never open to him again. To be fair, he, as a youth pastor, stood up at the start of the Space Mountain ride and they had to pull it back and reset the whole ride. He was taken with his group to a place under Disneyland where they were disciplined and sent out of the park. I don't know how they intend to enforce it. My guess is that his name is on a list, if he visits again and there is trouble he will actually be arrested because he was banished. Although he is now a totally urban farmer in Portland and probably has no interest in visiting Disney, so it probably won't come to that.

• Like 2

Wow. I've been in the area since the year before the park opened. We started going when you bought a finite number of tickets and E tickets were for the best rides. I can't even count how many times I've been but it's much more than the number of fingers and toes I have.

And I had No. Idea. 

Another day of learning something new at The Hive.  :laugh:

• Like 2

I am not sure. He is not banished from all properties for life, that was only for one year, just Disneyland is never open to him again. To be fair, he, as a youth pastor, stood up at the start of the Space Mountain ride and they had to pull it back and reset the whole ride. He was taken with his group to a place under Disneyland where they were disciplined and sent out of the park. I don't know how they intend to enforce it. My guess is that his name is on a list, if he visits again and there is trouble he will actually be arrested because he was banished. Although he is now a totally urban farmer in Portland and probably has no interest in visiting Disney, so it probably won't come to that.

Why would he do that?

• Like 2

So apparently it wasn't as accurate a replica as you thought? ;)

Count me in the "learned something new" crowd today.

• Like 3

I found out about it years ago after teasing about it. I was just teasing, and I didn't specifically request the haunted mansion, I just said I wanted my ashes scattered in the happiest place on earth ;)

I think both FL and CA parks have it listed on the "things you can't" do in the park