Menu

Epic! Has anyone tried this?

3 ladybugs

I tried doing a search but I wasn't getting anything. So sorry if this is a repeat topic.

https://www.getepic.com

Has anyone tried this?

I am thinking it might be good for me as the library and me are not on good terms. I go there with my list of 20 books that the online card catalog says they have and walk out with maybe 5 on a good day. Then I forget to bring them back in time and well, we get fees. And because I rarely have cash on me this is another problem! 

We have a large library at home but we don't have ALL the books out there. So when a curriculum suggests that we read _____ I need to find a way of getting it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found the font was often a bad size and unadjustable. It took a long time to load. We like Tales2Go better for ease of use (our internet isn't super fast) and bought a lifetime FarFaria subscription which was much more worth it for our ages of kiddos (audio track and read along highlighting).

I'm doing a two week trial of epic right now.  To get a free teacher account, you need to have a school email address so I did the homeschooler account.

My kids have it on their Kindle Fires.  For the moment the account set-ups I did on my laptop will not sync with the Kindles.  Evidently this is only available for iOS at the moment.  Which means I'll have to go to each of their Kindle's to assign books, which isn't a HUGE deal but it's something to think about.

We are going to work through the Mensa reading lists this year and quite a few of the books were on there.  My son is also reading through all the Big Nate books on there.  He hasn't complained about loading (although we have really fast internet) or font size.   You can look at what's on there without joining or paying.

We have a decent library but I have to go to our county branch to check books out since we don't have a town library.  It a little bit of a pain but I'm doing it more because my kids really like reading ebooks.  They also are less likely to get intimidated by a really long book when it's an ebook (more dd than ds at this point).